Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 99 of 122 FirstFirst ... 498990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 1817
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We should (but won't) keep Trengove
    Duryea should be kept as well
    I'd drop back Duryea to the rookie list, with McLean as an LTI Duryea will still be available for selection but that means we can use a draft pick for points as we have his list spot free.

I'd sign Sam Skinner as a DFA to the rookie list or take him in the rookie draft as KPD depth. If he gets over his knee issues he'll push for selection.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

2. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yep. With 300 points left over for MacPherson & Raak if we want them.
    Fingers crossed Raak slips and we grab im as a Cat B pick.
    MacPherson was invited to testing so I assume the "three clubs nomination" is still in place and he's in the frame for a late bid.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

4. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Fingers crossed Raak slips and we grab im as a Cat B pick.
    MacPherson was invited to testing so I assume the "three clubs nomination" is still in place and he's in the frame for a late bid.
    With the 197 point discount applying to them (passed the first round), and free matched bidding after Pick 55, it's nice to know we can grab them if we want to inn addition to JUH with the picks we have. That Collingwood pick trade is just outrageously good. Cat B would be greedy. I like greedy.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

6. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now for the player's numbers. Who will get what?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Now for the player's numbers. Who will get what?
    EasternWest phoned it in, he says, Treloar for Jumper #1.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

9. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

But what will Suckers have?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    But what will Suckers have?
    EasternWest's admiration.

12. Likes Bulldog4life, chef, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Surely #1 will be retired and hung from the roof at Marvel if the great man doesn't go around again!

14. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Surely #1 will be retired and hung from the roof at Marvel if the great man doesn't go around again!
    Yes. Yes.

'The Doug Hawkin's Wing' - and -

'The Matthew Suckling Left Hand Only Side of The Ground'. Where only ALL the grounds vendors are on, because there's no business being done on the right.

16. Thanks Axe Man thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Alright trade week is over wasn't that enjoyable lets do that again.

The next fun thing to think about is what next.

Atm by my count we have 39 senior listed players, and 4 rookies. We are allowed a max of 38 senior listed players, and 6 rookies (cat B are bonus I think).

We have 5 draft picks worth points to cover JUH, however you need an open list spot to use a draft picks points so that means we need to cut our list down to 33* to cover a bid for JUH.

That means 6* have to go. Trengove, Porter, Cavarra, Hayes, Duryea and Suckling are all out of contract. Lloyd is the other player i would nominate as being a possible, although I doubt we will do it, even though Hannan pushes him even further back in the queue.

Who of those 7 do you retain? I am assuming we will keep Lloyd and cut the out of contract guys, but others may have other ideas.

The next step is you now have 5 list spots you can fill, and after JUH takes one of them you are picking at the very back of the draft for all of them. So what then?

These are our options:
    A) Grab the guys we've been looking at for a couple of years now; Ewan McPherson and Cody Raak. Even though they've had a year off we should have a pretty good idea from having them train with us and be involved with our programs if we rate them or not. On the flipside if they attract no bids we surely let them slide to the rookie draft. If no one picks them up in the real thing then we get to add them to our list automatically as rookies, and Raak could even be grabbed as a cat B (which we will probably just upgrade to cat A anyway for literally no reason). That would be ideal.

B) Pick up non affiliated kids. This is a risky option, the Victorians have had no season and the other junior leagues have had what i assume are at least somewhat shortened/compromised seasons, although almost definitely enough of a sample size to judge players on. In some cases this could be like going in blind, you are assessing them on what they were like as 17 year olds. On the plus side you may be able to snag someone who would've played themselves into the high draft pick range given the chance, but it's a very good chance that you are just making even more of an educated guess than usual. On top of that you are stuck with whoever you grab for at least 2 seasons as that is the guaranteed contract for draftees. Maybe save these guys for the rookie draft? Or do we go for 19-21 year olds that are a bit further developed and have a bit more exposed form against men?

C) Redraft the guys you cut. This is what I am expecting we do. There is a huge chance someone like Suckling or Hayes or Cavarra gets to relive the joy of hearing their name read out on draft night. This is good if we rate them, and probably a safe play as i can't see any other club being interested, however it is completely uninspiring seeing as they are all players that have either failed to contribute to our side in a positive manner for atleast this year and in some cases are prime eker candidates (Callum Porter who somehow is still on our list).

D) Promote rookies. I'm not sure if this can be done on the night, I've only seen it happen where a club promotes the rookie pre draft and they just get their name read out on the night so people still watching at pick 74 can turn to their mate and go "Did someone else actually call their kid Roarke Smith or is it the same one?". I am assuming if you promote them pre-draft then that counts as a list spot filled and therefore an invalid draft pick and no good for JUH purposes, but if the draft pick can still be used for points then I can totally see us doing this with Roarke or Buku. It means you are handing out just a one year deal to someone you know about rather than a 2 year deal to a mystery kid.

E) Grab a DFA the old fashioned way, by drafting them. Atm we are basically incapable of picking up a DFA (no not Dylan F***ing Addison) as they take a list spot which cancels out a pick. But if we do like someone, we could pick them up in the draft (or the PSD if we choose to wait but I'm not actually sure what the benefit to doing that would be). Say Brett Bewley from Freo who is out of contract isn't retained by Freo and we see a use for a hard running long kicking winger that likes gloves. He could be an excellent way to use our shrapnel draft picks to get someone who is a known quantity onto the list and potentially fills a need.

F) Pass. This is a super lame move when you've endured the entire draft to hear which athletic smokey your club is going to pick up only for them to just not do anything, but it could actually be a really good option. Firstly it enables us to participate in the wasteland that is the pre-season draft. That's good if a player doesn't get delisted but leaves a club anyway. Lachie Schultz also from Freo is a zippy small forward yet to sign a contract. If they reach an impasse and they refuse to delist him, then he can enter the PSD where we could pick him up. The other option with passing is that you leave a spot on your list blank. This seems dumb initially but it means you can sign someone onto your list much later after you've had a good long look at them. For example you could get an 18 year old kid you aren't sure on to do a pre-season with you and if you like him pick him up (as Richmond did with Sydney Stack). Or you can wait till the mid-season draft and pick up someone who has really excelled in a senior environment and whose career could soon be used as leverage to convince his much more talented brother to making an ill advised trade request or worse, a website featuring a tell all blog (like Kyle Dunkley). I'm pretty sure both these scenarios end up with said player being picked up as a rookie, but by leaving a spot blank it does enable us to do that.

So there are heaps of options for what we can do with 5 (4 really once JUH joins) list spots.

So who should we delist?
    Should we be going for youth at the back end of the draft?
    Should we target just interstate players whose progress we've been able to track, or gamble on Vic kids and hope we get lucky, or go for some older guys?
    Should we just redraft the guys we cut?
    Should we promote rookies if that's a way around it?
    Should we just draft some bloke another club has decided isn't good enough?
    Or should we pass so we can get someone in the PSD, or so we can try before we buy, or just so we can donate it to one of our players relatives to give them a reason to sign a new contract with us (can Bonts dad play second ruck????)?

*Amended some numbers to reflect a mathematical error on my behalf. We need to cut 6.
    Last edited by soupman; 13-11-2020 at 07:01 PM.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

18. Thanks Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep Duryea, delist other contracted players.

Something like JUH, Macca, Raak, re-draft Hayes &/or Cavarra. Maybe use one other pick if there’s something we fancy either a kid or delisted player from elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Duryea and mayyybe Sucking seem the two most likely to stay. I can't see much point in Trengove, Hayes or Porter sticking around and Cavarra... well I wouldn't be upset exactly if we kept him but he doesn't seem like the instant impact mature recruit we'd have hoped he'd be.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep Duryea, delist other contracted players.

Something like JUH, Macca, Raak, re-draft Hayes &/or Cavarra. Maybe use one other pick if there’s something we fancy either a kid or delisted player from elsewhere.
    Considering he was benched, given a long talking to and then didn't play the final quarter of a match it looks like his card is stamped (please correct me if I got some of that wrong WOOFers)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Atm by my count we have 39 senior listed players, and 4 rookies. We are allowed a max of 38 senior listed players, and 6 rookies (cat B are bonus I think).
    The Age article from yesterday indicates max 38 senior players + 4 regular rookies + 2 category B (if you have any).

So 42 total unless Raak or Khamis somehow qualify as cat B.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    The Age article from yesterday indicates max 38 senior players + 4 regular rookies + 2 category B (if you have any).

So 42 total unless Raak or Khamis somehow qualify as cat B.
    Oh shit does that mean I miscounted? Does that mean we need to cut 6 to get down to 33?
    I should leave it alone but you're not right