Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 101 of 122 FirstFirst ... 51919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 1817
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Fwiw I would cut all the out of contract guys, so Suckling, Duryea, Porter, Cavarra, Hayes and Trengove all gone.
    I'd keep Duryea but cut the rest and bring in a few fresh faces. I suspect Roarke Smith will be retained and possibly upgraded to the senior list.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Bringing in Treloar and Hannan should be the end of Hayes, Porter and Smith. Prior to these arrivals I had Smith in the keep category.

Unfortunately I think father time has caught up with Suckling. He has been a successful recruit especially during the 2016-2018 period when his body held up.

I would like to keep Duyrea around for his leadership and experience, considering Woods injury history. Yes I know Duyrea is injury prone...

I still think Trengove has a role to play in helping develop Young, Gardner and Schache with what is required on and off field.

Lloyd being contracted spells the end for Cavarra. We really erred in signing Lloyd for 2021 over the pre season. I wonder if it was a trigger clause? As I said way back when this thread was started, I'd pay Lloyd out and look to keep Cavarra or go to the draft and find a small pressure forward from the state leagues. From what I've read Ewan McPherson is a more a small defender rather than a small forward. I wonder if he has the skill set to become a small pressure forward?

If list numbers allow I'd keep Khamis as a category B rookie.

There also a number of lucky players whose contracts expire in 2021, 2022 and 2023 who can consider themselves very lucky they are currently not out of contract.

Depending on how many list spots we need on draft night to secure Ugle-Hagan I would prioritise in signing Duryea and desilting the rest and then re-drafting as required.

Overall I think the trade period has re-balanced out list to a degree - we added class and speed to our one paced midfield, added forward craft and added ruck support for English.

Ideally we still need an A grade key defender. Hopefully by some miracle Lewis Young over pre-season demands a key defensive spot or do we push Naughton back? I'm dead against pushing Naughton back but it seems the obvious move. Hopefully Bruce wakes up and realises what an insipid effort his 2020 was and pride kicks in which allows Naughton back.

The other gap is still ruck support. It is a real shame Martin isn't a few years younger. It seems there is a real depth issue of back up ruckman across the league. Surely there is an option in the state leagues?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Bringing in Treloar and Hannan should be the end of Hayes, Porter and Smith. Prior to these arrivals I had Smith in the keep category.

Unfortunately I think father time has caught up with Suckling. He has been a successful recruit especially during the 2016-2018 period when his body held up.

I would like to keep Duyrea around for his leadership and experience, considering Woods injury history. Yes I know Duyrea is injury prone...

I still think Trengove has a role to play in helping develop Young, Gardner and Schache with what is required on and off field.

Lloyd being contracted spells the end for Cavarra. We really erred in signing Lloyd for 2021 over the pre season. I wonder if it was a trigger clause? As I said way back when this thread was started, I'd pay Lloyd out and look to keep Cavarra or go to the draft and find a small pressure forward from the state leagues. From what I've read Ewan McPherson is a more a small defender rather than a small forward. I wonder if he has the skill set to become a small pressure forward?

If list numbers allow I'd keep Khamis as a category B rookie.

There also a number of lucky players whose contracts expire in 2021, 2022 and 2023 who can consider themselves very lucky they are currently not out of contract.

Depending on how many list spots we need on draft night to secure Ugle-Hagan I would prioritise in signing Duryea and desilting the rest and then re-drafting as required.

Overall I think the trade period has re-balanced out list to a degree - we added class and speed to our one paced midfield, added forward craft and added ruck support for English.

Ideally we still need an A grade key defender. Hopefully by some miracle Lewis Young over pre-season demands a key defensive spot or do we push Naughton back? I'm dead against pushing Naughton back but it seems the obvious move. Hopefully Bruce wakes up and realises what an insipid effort his 2020 was and pride kicks in which allows Naughton back.

The other gap is still ruck support. It is a real shame Martin isn't a few years younger. It seems there is a real depth issue of back up ruckman across the league. Surely there is an option in the state leagues?
    You do realise we have Sweet who is actually the opposite to English , big bodied and more a tap ruckman , remember no VFL this year so a year behind in learning .
    I personally think Martin for a year and by then Sweet and English become the main two after learning under Martin.
    Bring back the biff

4. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Duryea should stay on the main list - but that might need to be by delisting and redrafting. He is valuable around the group and offers something different in our Defence. Unfortunately last year he came in too late in the season which then changed our balance.

Trengove I would like to see as a Captain/VC of Footscray, a strong person to have around the club, a big body to play with our developing juniors, and flexible enough to enable us to play our developing talks in the positions they need and he can fill in the gaps.

I’ve also turned the corner on Gardner. I couldn’t believe we picked him ahead of Young or even Trengove last year but now feel that if he can be a major role player for us within his limitations - an athletic tall shutdown-player. If he can be 30% of what Dale Morris, that’s a major win for me. We don’t need him taking intercept marks or with the ball in hand for him to be of value. He has to stay.

I’m more interested in where the development comes from our recent draftees and rookies. Out of the following, what is the most positive upside:

- Butler
    - Garcia
    - Weightman
    - Khamis

Once the list is balanced for talls/smalls/positions, I just want the remainder filled with whoever works the hardest and shows the most commitment to set the example. This might be after doing pre-season or we might no already.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

6. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    You do realise we have Sweet who is actually the opposite to English , big bodied and more a tap ruckman , remember no VFL this year so a year behind in learning .
    I personally think Martin for a year and by then Sweet and English become the main two after learning under Martin.
    I don't think Sweet will be on the list in 2022.

Post Thanks / Like

For Sweet, let’s see what impact Martin can have on his development.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Duryea should stay on the main list - but that might need to be by delisting and redrafting. He is valuable around the group and offers something different in our Defence. Unfortunately last year he came in too late in the season which then changed our balance.

Trengove I would like to see as a Captain/VC of Footscray, a strong person to have around the club, a big body to play with our developing juniors, and flexible enough to enable us to play our developing talks in the positions they need and he can fill in the gaps.

I’ve also turned the corner on Gardner. I couldn’t believe we picked him ahead of Young or even Trengove last year but now feel that if he can be a major role player for us within his limitations - an athletic tall shutdown-player. If he can be 30% of what Dale Morris, that’s a major win for me. We don’t need him taking intercept marks or with the ball in hand for him to be of value. He has to stay.

I’m more interested in where the development comes from our recent draftees and rookies. Out of the following, what is the most positive upside:

- Butler
    - Garcia
    - Weightman
    - Khamis

Once the list is balanced for talls/smalls/positions, I just want the remainder filled with whoever works the hardest and shows the most commitment to set the example. This might be after doing pre-season or we might no already.
    Weightman from what I see .
    Remember only 1 year in no VFL and still got a debut and showed electric moments, I have very good vibes about him down the track.
    Bring back the biff

10. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At a minimum, we have to delist 2 players as we have 39 now, plus JUH.

I would look at delisting 4.

Porter
    Suckling
    Cavarra
    Hayes

Maybe Hayes can go back to Rookie.

I would still keep Trengove, but I think he is gone.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I'd keep Duryea but cut the rest and bring in a few fresh faces. I suspect Roarke Smith will be retained and possibly upgraded to the senior list.
    I’d keep Duryea too, although I wonder if the sudden addition of Treloar’s salary means Suckling and Duryea are easy ways to clear salary. Especially as we have a heap of cover in Duryea’s best position. I still like Duryea on the list though

I’d be surprised if Roarke doesn’t get a spot on the main list, although I’m pretty agnostic about him staying or going.

13. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Porter
    Suckling
    Cavarra
    Hayes

I think the addition of Martin is the end of Trengove. Be astounded if he’s kept on.
    Don’t disagree with the other 4. Hayes will be interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Porter
    Suckling
    Cavarra
    Hayes

We will need to use 5 picks. So we need to go into the draft with 5 spots open. Which we don't have as of today, so 5 more delistings are required. So your 4 & Trengove will do the job. Leaves Duryea as the only re-signing. I agree with your candidates. I think the trades and kids we are brining in make the list a lot stronger this trade/draft period.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

16. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you think he has too much of the Will Minson's about him and doesn't suit Bevo's mantra?
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Cavarra looked somewhere bw ok to showing good signs. Feel for the bloke. If we are able to delist him and then add him as a rookie I hope we do.

I think Roarke might have been a keeper but after the elimination final I’d say he might be let go (was rookie list anyway I recall). Never know with Bevo though.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be keeping Cavarra at all costs, I think we've only started scratching the surface with him, if we could pay Llyod out and get rid of him, I would be at this point, even if we pay him not to play for one season, I'd be 100% fine with that.

Trengove - Keep for depth at that's it, maybe offer him one year and nothing more
    Duryea - resign
    Cavarra - resign
    Hayes - Drop
    Porter - Drop
    Suckling - Drop
    Smith - Drop
    Buku - Re-rookie
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Do you think he has too much of the Will Minson's about him and doesn't suit Bevo's mantra?
    Yeah I do. 2020 was the perfect year to play him for one or two games and we didn't.

I can't see him getting a game in 2021.