Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 13 of 122 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363113 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Take Viney in a heart beat. The impact a true pro has on a list can’t be understated. Melbourne are still recovering from getting rid of all of their experience and culture years ago and had to parachute in Daniel Cross.

Not at the top of my list in terms of needs but as has been noted helps fill a void left by Boyd, Murphy, Picken and Morris.
    Viney would be an interesting option for us, we've tended to appreciate the overall effort from players a bit more than actual form this year and Viney is a player who 'cracks in' each week.

I don't think we need him but if we are to lose Dunkley to other roles then perhaps Viney would be a good replacement option
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Take Viney in a heart beat. The impact a true pro has on a list can’t be understated. Melbourne are still recovering from getting rid of all of their experience and culture years ago and had to parachute in Daniel Cross.

Not at the top of my list in terms of needs but as has been noted helps fill a void left by Boyd, Murphy, Picken and Morris.
    Where does Viney play?

Here's a leftfield suggestion - develop Rhylee West instead.
    He's actually a tiny bit taller and heavier than Viney, has a similar appetite for the contest, has shown signs of being able to play a 'Clay Smith' role when forward and to the naked eye has elite ability by hand.

Given the salary caps are shrinking and we can;t really offer Viney a chance to play his ideal position at the minutes he'd want, I'd much rather keep the cap space and give Rhylee a chance to develop first.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I think Liam Ryan is just about the most complete small forward in the game.

He can run, kick and mark at elite levels. I know we have no hope of trading for him, but can we clone him somehow.
    We really need to look harder at these types of players who tend to go far later than their talent suggests they would.
    The pressures of an elite environment are supposedly a limiting factor - so take more? We don't need any more rebounding HBFers yet seem set on taking one practically every year and hoping they'll develop elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Liam Ryan is just about the most complete small forward in the game.

He can run, kick and mark at elite levels. I know we have no hope of trading for him, but can we clone him somehow.
    And anyone could have had him (and Tim Kelly for that matter).

Are there any players in their early 20s showing something at WAFL/SANFL level that have previously been overlooked? If so, we should be enquiring.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

5. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    We really need to look harder at these types of players who tend to go far later than their talent suggests they would.
    The pressures of an elite environment are supposedly a limiting factor - so take more? We don't need any more rebounding HBFers yet seem set on taking one practically every year and hoping they'll develop elsewhere.
    I absolutely agree.

In 2018 we could have taken Sydney Stack instead of Will Hayes but weren't prepared to take the risk for genuine talent.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely agree.

In 2018 we could have taken Sydney Stack instead of Will Hayes but weren't prepared to take the risk for genuine talent.
    Liam Ryan, Tim Kelly, etc etc.

"Some fail" seems to be the counter argument - but players fail in all parts of the draft, especially late where some of these players are available.
    We tend to be a little conservative with our late/rookie picks in recent times. Even the mid-season draft last year had some 'take a chance' types - the last two players picked in the first round were Marlion Pickett and John Noble who have both shown signs at AFL level.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'd give up JUH to get him. Plus another player back.
    No you wouldn't.

But Ryan is a star.

Post Thanks / Like

Dogs Chasing Lonie

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...6f003c98334248

Tom Morris reporting (grains of salt required)
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Dogs Chasing Lonie

Gross.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Dogs Chasing Lonie

It's a moot point now but that's the first time I recall seeing us linked to Charlie Cameron in the media. I wonder if there was a solid interest there?

Post Thanks / Like

Dogs Chasing Lonie

Is Ameet friends with Billings ?

----

The 24-year-old remains close to Dogs forward Josh Bruce and has a connection with Western Bulldogs CEO Ameet Bains, who was chief operating officer and list boss when Lonie arrived at the club

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No offense to Ameet, but he didn't exactly oversee a list brimming with talent at St Kilda. And after what we've had to put up with in terms of Bruce's output, I'd prefer we steer clear of his 'mates'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    No offense to Ameet, but he didn't exactly oversee a list brimming with talent at St Kilda. And after what we've had to put up with in terms of Bruce's output, I'd prefer we steer clear of his 'mates'.
    Lonie doesn't exactly inspire does he, age maybe only good part at 24.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    No you wouldn't.

But Ryan is a star.
    I am fearful about the too good to be true factor!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    It's a moot point now but that's the first time I recall seeing us linked to Charlie Cameron in the media. I wonder if there was a solid interest there?
    You mean our backup plan to getting Charlie Cameron is Jack Lonie? Someone give me a sick bag

18. Likes Mantis liked this post