Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 20 of 122 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070120 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Saw somewhere online that Jackson Trengove named Garcia as the gun young player on our list to watch when asked during a Q&A.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    But...Georgiades isn't a small forward either.

Weightman is fine but he is not really a small forward...so what actually IS he? .
    Fair point re Georgiades he is more mid sized isn't he and can play tall with that marking ability. I guess my philosophy is you recruit for type but if there's a better player available that takes precedence.

Why do you think Weightman is not a small forward? Be interested to hear from your perspective. I'm thinking he ticks the boxes, but I have only seen him in a few highlights clips and the couple of games he's played so far.

On the topic of small forwards. JJ anyone? Last week I thought he changed the dynamic of our attack dramatically from any other time this year. Real threat when the ball was in there, on the ground or in the air. Maybe his tackle pressure is the question mark?

Post Thanks / Like

I’m disappointed in what I’m reading about Weightman I think he will be exactly what we need, he is quick he can take a mark and he can kick opportunist goals, I believe he will put pressure on as well.
    I have high regard for this kid , he is very skinny and can probably be pushed off the ball at the moment but can’t we at least give him some slack ?
    No VFL at all, the odd scratch match where players cross over to different teams half way through , so no actual learning to play the actual game plan with his own players as a team.
    He played two games in AFL and he showed glimpses.
    I hope this kid proves you wrong.
    Bring back the biff

4. Likes Bulldog4life, Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I’m disappointed in what I’m reading about Weightman I think he will be exactly what we need, he is quick he can take a mark and he can kick opportunist goals, I believe he will put pressure on as well.
    I have high regard for this kid , he is very skinny and can probably be pushed off the ball at the moment but can’t we at least give him some slack ?
    No VFL at all, the odd scratch match where players cross over to different teams half way through , so no actual learning to play the actual game plan with his own players as a team.
    He's not quick. He looks like a Jamie Elliott type rather than a traditional small pressure forward.

He seems to have the right attitude and I hope he makes it.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

6. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Thanks Mark Thompson.

Who said he won't make it?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Foggerty? Still fat and in and out of the Crows team... you guessed it.... due to work ethic.

On Weightman I actually said very early in this very thread I would be open to trading him now. It would be a risk as development of first year players surely has to be impacted due to the lack of VFL footy and everything else that has gone on in 2020.
    Nah it was actually Will Gould that I was after.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    He's not quick. He looks like a Jamie Elliott type rather than a traditional small pressure forward.

He seems to have the right attitude and I hope he makes it.
    Makes sense, I had a look at the combine results recently and he did well in the vertical leap and his yo-yo is apparently excellent too so elite endurance. Nothing of note in the speed category, this from afl draft central

"he is only relatively quick and agile"

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/cody-weightman/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    But...Georgiades isn't a small forward either.

This is what I don't get sometimes...why would we want Georgiades if we have Schache, Dale, Lloyd, Dickson and - I guess - Wallis?

We can't play them all. If we recruit Georgiades, well, clear out those in front of him. I guess that's why I was frustrated with the Garcia selection - if we want Garcia, then why exactly are we keeping Porter?

Weightman is fine but he is not really a small forward...so what actually IS he? When we have the answer to that question then we will know whether he is going to be a player or not. My negativity is not aimed at the kid - I was frustrated at draft time that we spent a first round pick at a critical time in our development on a player with no clear skillset and - more importantly - no clear role at senior level.

As I said in the piece you quoted - apparently he has a good attitude and mindset so will get there in the end...I just think he should have been a rookie selection and not a first round pick.
    This is roughly the same logic I was asking about when we recruited Bruce and all it's really done has pushed Schache to the back of the queue.

Georgiades, Schache and Naughton might have been a good mix of taller players for us and Ugle-Hagan coming through in a couple of seasons.

Regarding Weightman, I agree he isn't a small crumbing forward but is a small forward with mid sized forward attributes
    He doesn't see himself as a midfielder either.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Yep, your main man HD put me on the straight and narrow!
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    This is roughly the same logic I was asking about when we recruited Bruce and all it's really done has pushed Schache to the back of the queue.
    We should draft the best player, not draft for needs - well especially for your first pick
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    So was I.

Gould is fat and unfit, so am I.

So if he could make it in the AFL, so could I.*

* Perhaps over 40 years ago. But given my appalling junior AFL career, maybe not.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We should draft the best player, not draft for needs - well especially for your first pick
    I've never really been of a different opinion

Trading for players though is more needs based (with some exceptions) and all that landing Bruce has done is pushed Schache to the back of the queue
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Trading for players though is more needs based (with some exceptions) and all that landing Bruce has done is pushed Schache to the back of the queue
    Which says to me the MC don’t rate Schache
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Schache plays more of a meek medium leading forward role than a legitimate KPP role. He's icing, not cake.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Schache plays more of a meek medium leading forward role than a legitimate KPP role. He's icing, not cake.
    Shaq needs to be pushed up the field, tall winger style.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.