Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 21 of 122 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303171121 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I've never really been of a different opinion

Trading for players though is more needs based (with some exceptions) and all that landing Bruce has done is pushed Schache to the back of the queue
    I agree. However, maybe we thought Bruce can fill the role as Schache develops into the role given their age differences.? It is no different to having a few options in the ruck which you have mentioned a few times. Why limit the list to one CHF?

I guess my point is we decided to draft Weightman, so did we think he was better than Georgiadis, or did we draft for a need.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The Weightman pick kind of reminds me of the Howard pick, in that we seemed to want another guy (Jetta/Pickett), missed them, and picked what we viewed to be the player most analogous.

Not saying Cody will end up like Howard, but also not a huge fan of the methodology if it is in fact the case.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

3. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Which says to me the MC don’t rate Schache
    It's not what they said when we traded for Bruce. Schache, Naughton and Bruce we going to be in the forward line

We now either need to trade Schache or find another position for him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

It's not what they said when we traded for Bruce. Schache, Naughton and Bruce we going to be in the forward line

We now either need to trade Schache or find another position for him.
    I don’t think anyone believed that would happen. Was never an option with our style of play unless everything went perfectly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Schache plays more of a meek medium leading forward role than a legitimate KPP role. He's icing, not cake.
    I'm not sure I view him in that light, it seems to be more a convenient fit to explain why we have stuck with the out of form Bruce all season and moved Schache back. Schache can play and he can kick straight, all we have done is limited his chances this year and make him expendable.

8. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, Doc26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I agree. However, maybe we thought Bruce can fill the role as Schache develops into the role given their age differences.? It is no different to having a few options in the ruck which you have mentioned a few times. Why limit the list to one CHF?

I guess my point is we decided to draft Weightman, so did we think he was better than Georgiadis, or did we draft for a need.
    We said we could play all 3 tall players and Bruce would add to the Naughton and Schache combination

Regarding Weightman, I tend to think we deviated away from the best available approach and perhaps that is fair enough when you have a latish 1st rounder

Post Thanks / Like

We said we could play all 3 tall players and Bruce would add to the Naughton and Schache combination

Regarding Weightman, I tend to think we deviated away from the best available approach and perhaps that is fair enough when you have a latish 1st rounder
    His personality likely played a role too - *feels* like the group needs his kind of energy.

*obviously an extremely outside view
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Cody was listed mid-teens in almost every phantom draft so he pretty much was best available and a player of need when it came to our selection.

Magnificent work ethic you just know he's going to be a player in a year or two. Great selection.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

12. Likes bornadog, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't Cody expected to be taken by Melbourne initially but since Picket went up the order they ended up going with him? So it's not like Cody was expected to go in the 20s or something at any stage.

Post Thanks / Like

Correct. Pretty much all phantoms had Cody going mid-late 1st round/early second. He certainly wasn’t a reach in the eyes of the experts. Whether that’s correct or not is another question.

Post Thanks / Like

I could be wrong, but the only article that indicated all three would play in the same team was Schache in an interview. Bevo never said we would play all three together.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I could be wrong, but the only article that indicated all three would play in the same team was Schache in an interview. Bevo never said we would play all three together.
    Check some of the podcasts/interviews with Bains and I think there was one with Beveridge. Definitely flagged that 3 talls would be played. We signed Schache for another deal so it sounded like we were going to try something different.
    Are you really saying our plan was to sign Schache to an extension to the end of 2022 and at the same time we traded for Bruce so that we could drop Schache back to the reserves? I'd really question if that was our list management approach

All it's done is stunted his development while we persevere with the out of form Bruce.

Post Thanks / Like

Check some of the podcasts/interviews with Bains and I think there was one with Beveridge. Definitely flagged that 3 talls would be played. We signed Schache for another deal so it sounded like we were going to try something different.
    Are you really saying our plan was to sign Schache to an extension to the end of 2022 and at the same time we traded for Bruce so that we could drop Schache back to the reserves? I'd really question if that was our list management approach

All it's done is stunted his development while we persevere with the out of form Bruce.
    For me it says, For how crap Bruce has been, to still get a game, how bad has Schache presented and/or performed for the match committee to step back from their plan to play 3 talls?

I doubt the MC are overjoyed about re-signing Schache, and then him not hitting internal indicators required to actually play him with any regularity.
    Schache has some great AFL qualities, but the one's that aren't at the required level have a lot of improving required I suspect.
    The challenge is up to him to decide if he wants to be an AFL player really.

Post Thanks / Like

I get Bruce is completely out of form, but I don't think it's a case that we've let Schache's potential wither on the vine. Schache has shown very little inclination to do the things that even an out of form Bruce is still bringing, desire, physicality, hitting packs, and still demanding opposition attention.

19. Likes bornadog liked this post