Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 3 of 122 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Bedford is preferable to Lonie. Lonie is clearly a better player right now but doesn't have the traits we need, where as Bedford might and will presumably cost very little. Doing anything weird with our picks when there is no need to kinda seems like asking for it.

Hard no to Hannan, who has a preocupation with trying to sit on player's heads that totally mitigates any strengths he might have as a small forward. Fine if you're Liam Ryan or Charlie Cameron, but he aint.

Also probably need to keep the prospects of reduced list sizes in mind. Chopping a borderline AFL player who is well loved amongst the group (like Greene or Trengove) to bring in a speculative player buried down the depth chart from a worse team could be a good way to rock the boat.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

2. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another option for a cheap (almost free) type. Narkle from Geelong? OOC, and has genuine pace. Could be a wing/forward type and we've said we want to attract indigenous players to the club.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Another option for a cheap (almost free) type. Narkle from Geelong? OOC, and has genuine pace. Could be a wing/forward type and we've said we want to attract indigenous players to the club.
    Can play and arguably buried (or simply overtaken) in their system.

Then again, if Geelong's professional environment can't adequately develop Narkle's talents I'm not sure we're necessarily better placed to either.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Then again, if Geelong's professional environment can't adequately develop Narkle's talents I'm not sure we're necessarily better placed to either.
    Some players just need more time + opportunity.
    Worked with Hamling, not so much with Djerkerra.

As a pure wing there are still whispers that Phillips from Collingwood is gettable. I'd jump at that.

Post Thanks / Like

We rarely play ducks and drakes with our trading intentions - and we've already signalled an intention to target a small pressure forward.
    I'd expect Lonie from the Saints is target no 1, we miss out, and get Bedford from Melbourne as target no 2 who would surely see the writing on the wall after they drafted Kosi.
    Melbourne don't have a first rounder this year and might just be desperate to get back in, so we organise a trade that gives us little to no points deficit with Melbourne handing us multiple picks and Bedford. Being indigenous is a bonus too.

I wonder if we'd ask about Hannan too? Medium forward, ex-Footscray VFL so we'd know him well, and with Dickson out and Lloyd getting to the end we really have Dale and Greene as medium forwards, with Wallis as a 'unique' forward.

I'd like another ruck on the list but who knows if that will happen.
    There was talk of Petruccelle from the Eagles last year. Can't get a game this year and is out of contract I believe. He's quick and can kick a goal. Not sure what his tackling and pressure is like though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    There was talk of Petruccelle from the Eagles last year. Can't get a game this year and is out of contract I believe. He's quick and can kick a goal. Not sure what his tackling and pressure is like though.
    He's quick, but ineffective. He's been rotated in the centre as well at times.

All this talk of a wing is just purely wishful thinking on my part. I suspect we target the names we've been linked to (as we have done the past couple of years - Keith, Bruce, Lloyd) and then concentrate on maximising points for the NGA bids

Post Thanks / Like

He's quick, but ineffective. He's been rotated in the centre as well at times.

All this talk of a wing is just purely wishful thinking on my part. I suspect we target the names we've been linked to (as we have done the past couple of years - Keith, Bruce, Lloyd) and then concentrate on maximising points for the NGA bids
    I was thinking as a small forward rather than wing, although I'm unsure of his best position.

Post Thanks / Like

Moneyball special: Your club’s obvious and left-field 2020 trade targets

WESTERN BULLDOGS
    1. Trade conundrum

Luke Beveridge doesn’t mind having a crack at the trade table and the Bulldogs clearly have some space in the salary cap. Matthew Lloyd says the Dogs need some help for young ruckman Tim English. Could a potentially delisted Matthew Kreuzer get his body right and offer two base-salary seasons as a mentor?

2. Left-field target

Beveridge has dismissed suggestions Lachie Hunter might be on the move, with Brisbane being one of the interested clubs. We’ve got to take him at his word on that. But there could be a few other options the Dogs could consider to strengthen their position.

3. Who could look elsewhere

Lin Jong has stayed loyal to the Bulldogs over the years and has had little luck with injury. Could a new home give him greater opportunities? Jackson Trengove is coming off a significant deal.

4. Squeezed out?

Premiership forward Tory Dickson has managed only one game this season and the soon-to-be 33-year-old comes off his one-year deal soon. Billy Gowers is another who is off contract and could be under pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

Kreuzer as a DFA? Sure
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Kreuzer as a DFA? Sure
    Yeah, I'm all for that.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Keuzer - in an absolute heartbeat.

Tim English looms as an ideal ruck/forward for a couple of years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Moneyball special: Your club’s obvious and left-field 2020 trade targets

2. Left-field target

Beveridge has dismissed suggestions Lachie Hunter might be on the move, with Brisbane being one of the interested clubs. We’ve got to take him at his word on that. But there could be a few other options the Dogs could consider to strengthen their position.

So who is our left field target? Thanks for such an insightful article Herald Sun
    More of an In Bruges guy?

14. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Vardy the Eagles ruck hasn't played this season. Notice he's listed as injured with a thigh for 4 weeks so his season maybe over. 29? Might be worth an enquiry as a big body in there to help out Tim.
    Be OK with Kruezer but his body seems to let him down so often.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Vardy the Eagles ruck hasn't played this season. Notice he's listed as injured with a thigh for 4 weeks so his season maybe over. 29? Might be worth an enquiry as a big body in there to help out Tim.
    Be OK with Kruezer but his body seems to let him down so often.
    I think you will find Vardy has exactly the same injury problems as Kruzer.

Don't forget Vardy was also on Geelongs list at one stage.

I'd prefer Kruzer than Vardy. Kruzer can ruck.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

17. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What a piece of crap article. WTF is the left field section? What is so left field about saying "we thought a player might be leaving but the coach said he isn't".

A better version of the article is the following, only for demonstrative purposes only.

WESTERN BULLDOGS
    1. Trade Conundrum.

Tim English has shown promising signs this season and has a big future to come, but is it a bi early to be relying on him as the Bulldogs number one ruck? Matthew Kreuzer is out of contract and well down the pecking order at Carlton, could a move to the Dogs reinvigorate his career and offer English the guiding hand he needs?

2. Left Field Target.
    With Josh Bruce not working as well as hoped and their forwardline still lacking punch could it be worth asking about Jack Gunstons availability. The 28 year old is still performing in a poor Hawthorn side and could offer some much needed versatility and forward nous to a largely cobbled together forwarline.

3. Who Could Look Elsewhere?
    Lewis Young looked set to become a regular part of the side with some promising performances at the end of last season but has struggled to get a look in this year playing just one game. Could a move back home to South Australia be on the cards?

4. Squeezed Out?
    Taylor Duryea has been injured most of the season and is yet to play a game in what is now a settled backline. With Bailey Williams emergence could Duryea find himself on the out?
    I should leave it alone but you're not right