Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 31 of 122 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233343536373839404181 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/10/...spite-reports/

So maybe Goldstein is out. That was a fun 12 hours or so.
    This looks like a standard tactic to raise the price of someone in a trade - page one of the traders textbook.

Only Bevo goes out in media and devalues a player before trading them.

2. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Only Bevo goes out in media and devalues a player before trading them.
    North have done a pretty good job at that with Ben Brown.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

What do we think of 2MP as a ruck/forward pairing with English? He's 'ok' at both although not overly quick.
    Maribyrnong educated so has a bit of westie in his veins, and more importantly he's gettable.

Josh Bruce to drop a few kgs and learns how to defend again. He and Naughton as genuine swingmen, Lewie Young their apprentice. It changes the shape of our entire list.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    What do we think of 2MP as a ruck/forward pairing with English? He's 'ok' at both although not overly quick.
    Maribyrnong educated so has a bit of westie in his veins, and more importantly he's gettable.

Josh Bruce to drop a few kgs and learns how to defend again. He and Naughton as genuine swingmen, Lewie Young their apprentice. It changes the shape of our entire list.
    I don't think 2MP is any good.

Bruce has to get fit, fullstop. Then we work out what is best for him. We need a key defender so that is certainly an option. Also I prefer Schache in the forward line as he is more mobile, a better kick and I would argue a much smarter forward in that he leads better & makes space for others. I think we had more functionality when he was up forward last year.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

6. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why wasn't Peter Wright playing regular footy before Ben King arrived? That is my concern.

Josh Bruce is comfortable and being rewarded for doing what he is doing. He didn't work as a defender when he was trying to make it early in his career. I can't see him embracing the change in the twilight of his career.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Why wasn't Peter Wright playing regular footy before Ben King arrived? That is my concern.

Josh Bruce is comfortable and being rewarded for doing what he is doing. He didn't work as a defender when he was trying to make it early in his career. I can't see him embracing the change in the twilight of his career.
    Yeah you don't trade in a 28 year old key forward on good money on a 4 year deal, playing him all season inside 50 and 2nd year in try to shoe horn him into defence.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    So who do we target?

The ruck is the hardest spot to fill. Where do you find a ready to go main ruck that is decent around the ground and may be available. North have Goldstein, he is clearly the biggest fish on the table. I love Ladhams from Port and think he'd be a great get, but don't see how. Nankervis has been brought up here before and is a good shout (and also out of contract), he isn't a world beater but is physical and reliable, unfortunately Soldo's knee injury makes him harder to pry from the Tigers. I do not rate Preuss at all so not him please. A left field option could be Ben McEvoy, Hawthorn aren't too attached to their experienced guys and McEvoy could be a cheap and effective option. After that there isn't much, plan B could be to try to find a forward ruck type that supports English and can help elsewhere. Possible targets for that are Darcy Fort (I actually think he is terrible), Callum Sinclair and Nathan Vardy, not great. So a limited pool with not many options unless we somehow pry an established starting ruck from a club.

The key defender posts are next on the list. There are a few candidates here. The first I would be looking at is Brennan Cox from Freo. Long limbed, strong mark and good in that anchor defensive position, and should be available relatively cheaply. I think he is a better version of Gardner. Another less established option is Jackson Payne. Big boy who had some encouraging performances this season for Brisbane, and is up against it for a spot with their depth. Jake Carlisle seems like a bit of a numpty, but he could also offer a cost effective option as an anchor defender and gives us marking power. Aliir Aliir is a weird player but I think he is decent, offers us size and versatility and could be interested in a move. Possible alternative could be Jarrod Brander, doesn't seem to be getting a game at West Coast, is a key forward i think but could maybe swing back.

Now to the many forwardish positions that need filling.

Would love us to have a real dip for Josh Daicos for the mid/forward role. Is creative, has goal sense and is basically a really good version of Lipinski. Not sure what he would cost though. Brandan Parfitt is another that I really like that offers good tackling pressure, and can swap between the two roles. Xavier O'Halloran is another that fits the bill here, but is largely unproven at AFL level. Is already linked to us by the media. All those guys are out of contract which is encouraging, I'd be really trying to get one of them across (particularly the first two).

Quinton Narkle could be a candidate for the mid/forward or wing/forward role. Smooth moving, pacy and seems to have goal sense, and hasn't signed a contract yet. Wouldn't necessarily be a guaranteed starter, but I think he would be worth giving a shot at the role.

Other wing forward types include Isaac Smith, who is out of contract and clearly on our radar based on past dealings. I would also like us to look at Brett Bewley from Freo. He isn't super pacy but links up well, is a nice long kick and I think he would offer a good composed link into our forwardline, also ooc. Oleg Markov from Richmond seems to be more of a half back but seems like a very direct player who has pace. Could Fiorini be worth looking at from Gold Coast? He strikes m as a Hunter type, and has struggled for game there this year, but has been highly rated in the past.

As for the crumbing role it would seem the out of contract Jack Lonie is the front runner. I haven't been huge on him in the past but do think he has some attributes that improve us, but I'm not sure if he is the long term solution, more of a stop gap. Another to consider could be Lachie Schultz from Freo. He isn't as exciting as I'd like but i think he is an effective crumbing forward and is also out of contract. Others who have had encouraging performances at AFL level this year and are out of contract include Ben Ronke, Toby Bedford, Brad Close, Jake Aarts and Boyd Woodcock, as well as ex employee Jamaine Jones.

I know that's a lot of names, but we have a lot of list spots to fill in my proposal. I'd be particularly keen on us really chasing Daicos.

If we could get a haul of something like Cox, Payne, McEvoy, Parfitt, Bewley, Lonie I think we are a much better side. Even if they are not better players than the ones they replace, i think the attributes they offer to our side make us better. There is a good chance three to four of those guys come effectively for free, and Parfitt would be the only one that would really cost something. We probably end up with approx 4 draft picks at the end of this, which we should be juggling around to get max points value for. Ideally we come out of the draft with no draft points deficit, and JUH, Raak and two very late picks on our list. I'd be very open to the late picks being guys that performed in WA or one of the other leagues that operated this year, or even use it to give a delisted guy another chance.

If you've made it this far I'm very impressed, I hope this promotes some discussion about who is available and what we can do, at the very least it's enabled me to have a very long winded think about it all out loud. Also there are heaps more options, I just got exhausted listing the out of contract ones so there are heaps more that are under contract.
    Some really well thought out analysis here Soupaman.

I really like the Daicos suggestion. It would seem unlikely he would be available but if they are struggling to fit in all of Moore, De Goey, Mihocek etc and there was a chance we should be having a real dip.

There are a few cheap but decent options out there if we are willing to have a crack.

I also like the Jake Aarts suggestion. He is a very lively small forward and is around 26yo. On output he would be an upgrade on Cavarra so far in their respective AFL careers. Being a rookie listed player we could get him for nothing in terms of draft picks, he would qualify as a DFA if we offered him a primary list position.

Peter Ladhams, the ruckman from Port like Aarts, is still a rookie listed player and we could get him the same way. He will be 23 and while he may not be Goldstein he would be the cheaper option and he can play. Have liked him since his u/18 year.

We have long been linked with Isaac Smith who could still be a FA option for us. Bur what about Lewis Jetta? He is actually a bit younger than Smith and a 2 time premiership player who might be available.

Jake Carlisle will be 29 next year and in his prime for a key defender and could easily anchor our defence. I get all the numpty accusations but what do we want? A team of choir boys? He's a very good player and I actually liked he went home to be with his wife for the birth of their child. It looks like Saints will let him go so I doubt he would cost much more than a late pick or possibly even be a DFA.

In a year where we have limited draft picks some of these boys would help fill holes in our list without incurring heavy cost and all would be expected to play round 1 next year.

10. Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ladhams would be great but he is not a rookie, is contracted until the end of 2022 and pretty sure there would be no way Port is letting him go unless you offer them massive overs. Would cost more than Goldstein.

12. Likes Mofra, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Ladhams would be great but he is not a rookie, is contracted until the end of 2022 and pretty sure there would be no way Port is letting him go unless you offer them massive overs. Would cost more than Goldstein.
    Not sure of his contract status but isn't he still on the rookie list?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    He played 17 games last year, not sure if he was injured or not?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

yep you're right he's contracted til 2022, just found the article confirming it. cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I floated him but was under the misunderstanding that he wasn’t contracted. They’d rightfully ask for his weight in gold.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I still want Ben King.

We will be in a better position next year to make a play for him when he comes out of contract and we will have better draft assets to work with.

He will cost 2 first rounders for sure I would think.

So my idea to make it happen looks like this

Collingwood mooted an idea a few weeks back about swapping first round picks with us. They get our 2020 first and we get there 2021 first or something similar with another club.

That doesn't help us with Jamarra this year so I would be looking to then move out our 2021 2nd round for 2020 picks that would be worth at least the equivalent in points if not more. There is bound to be clubs keen to get into next years draft inside the first 2 rounds.

If that comes off we have 2 first rounders as a platform to build a deal around. We just have to wait a year. It would be worth the wait.

19. Likes bornadog, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it would be a decent pairing but it would need either Bruce or Naughton to move to the backline and I'm not sure that will happen.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think it would be a decent pairing but it would need either Bruce or Naughton to move to the backline and I'm not sure that will happen.
    Well maybe for the good of the team, one has to move?

PS: who is 2MP?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.