Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 35 of 122 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334353637383940414243444585 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Bur what about Lewis Jetta? He is actually a bit younger than Smith and a 2 time premiership player who might be available.
    Some talk Jetta could be gettable. He's 31 and out of contract, cost should be negligible.

EAGLES STAR’S FUTURE UP IN THE AIR

Lewis Jetta could be on the outs at West Coast after the speedy midfielder managed only six games in 2020.

Eagles coach Adam Simpson was open-ended when asked about the future of the two-time premiership player.

“I think it’ll be a little bit unfair to go through every spot on the list because you’ll land on one that I don’t want to talk about,” Simpson said to 7 news when asked about Jetta.

“It is really hard to exit your players and do an end of season review when half our squad is in quarantine and the other (group) are free.

“We’ll wait until next Monday before we get into the player exits and reviews. We’ll go from there.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Why the hell did we throw Roughie on the scrap heap!!! Can ruck can play back. It's the worst thing we could have done.
    This is my biggest issue. I would love to know how this transpired.
    Roughie said he was close to retiring, and needed a change...
    So he wins a premiership, with the club he grew up supporting and within 2 years is burned out and we give him a way and becomes a best 22 defender in a top performing club?
    I just would love to know how this happens, and whether or not it highlights where some of our issues are borne.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I said at the time it was a stupid move; Roughy had JT covered as both a ruck AND key defender.

Nothing has changed since.
    The fact we're still lamenting a decision made 3 years ago just shows how much we've stagnated in that time.

I hate treading water, North Melbourne like. Nothing worse than finishing low-mid table and never truly being a contender for years on end.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Some talk Jetta could be gettable. He's 31 and out of contract, cost should be negligible.
    The AFL are so piss poor in not resolving the list numbers for the future.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Why the hell did we throw Roughie on the scrap heap!!! Can ruck can play back. It's the worst thing we could have done.
    Who knows?

All past history, same can be said why we let Liam go?

I hate dwelling in the past. I want answers for next year.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Please don't bring this one up. I was pretty livid when it happened and I really haven't simmered much since. What a waste!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Jetta 31!?

Where did time go.

But yes - I would pick up the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Please don't bring this one up. I was pretty livid when it happened and I really haven't simmered much since. What a waste!!
    Ok, I will dwell in the past. Roughy was a serviceable ruckman, nothing special. His numbers are similar to Tom Boyd and English.

At the end of 2016, we Recruited English which meant we had a young Boyd, and English coming through plus we traded for Trengove in 2017. Roughie could see he will be struggling to find a spot. Perhaps we should have had the foresight to put him at Fullback, but we had Trengove for that role as well as Adams. We weren't to know Tom Boyd and Adams would be gone a year later.

Yes, he would have been handy on Saturday, but it just didn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think after the GWS game this year, we really turned it around and didn't get pushed around like in the past. As Bont said, the group has matured and know how to deal with teams coming after them.
    We didn't bring the heat in the final BD, tackling was awful that was not final pressure out there. This was from a side that had redemption on their minds, the group just doesn't have it naturally we need to add it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Ok, I will dwell in the past. Roughy was a serviceable ruckman, nothing special. His numbers are similar to Tom Boyd and English.

At the end of 2016, we Recruited English which meant we had a young Boyd, and English coming through plus we traded for Trengove in 2017. Roughie could see he will be struggling to find a spot. Perhaps we should have had the foresight to put him at Fullback, but we had Trengove for that role as well as Adams. We weren't to know Tom Boyd and Adams would be gone a year later.

Yes, he would have been handy on Saturday, but it just didn't.
    Roughy played as a very serviceable full back before he was used as first ruck. Good overhead mark and long kick. That’s why Collingwood wanted him as a backman.

Post Thanks / Like

I've gone through every list and compiled a list of players that could be of interest. They are split into a few different categories that I consider needs and I'll kick it off with one I don't think is necessarily a desperate need but has a few interesting names in the group.

Hit up forwards.

I think we lack a tall forward that can work up the ground, still get back to be a threat deep and is not a liability on the ground. I don't expect them to be able to ruck, but I do expect them to be a regular player we go through as we push forward and would not be happy with them just trying to break even in marking contests.

These are my candidates.

Jack Gunston. 28 years old. Is everything I would want and would be an amazing get. We should absolutely be asking the question and Hawthorn must be vulnerable atm, they are terrible and will probably have to dip into the draft as their "trade in broken players" strategy is not working.

Tom Lynch. 30. A really good hit up forward who gets involved up the ground. Adelaide like Hawthorn are thinking youth and could be open to letting a guy go who is not part of their premiership plans.

Jake Waterman. 22. Out of contract. Highly rated and almost a regular (played 10 games this year). Very mobile for his size, I've generally liked him when I've watched them. He is out of contract so potentially vulnerable, even with Kennedy nearly done.

Brody Mihocek. 27. Out of contract. Been discussed here a lot, does a lot of stuff well and as he showed on Saturday can outperform his ability.

Josh Caddy. 28. My least favourite on this list (hence last listed), plays like a tall and has been effective in the past. Only managed 8 games this year, I suspect due to injury but haven't bothered checking.

*I know a few (maybe even all) of these guys have been brought up here before, but thought it was better to list them out in a group.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

12. Thanks hujsh, Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Summed it up well soup. That type of player isn't a huge need given our shortcomings elsewhere, but there are some handy names on that list. Gunston is clearly the pick of the lot, wonder what he'd cost? Are the Hawks willing to actually rebuild?

Lynch is a good suggestion, worried he might be cooked and well past his best but perhaps being at a better team would see his game flourish again.

Waterman is a great option, like his aggression. Mihocek similar. I suspect both are unlikely to leave, but I guess money talks.

Caddy is an interesting one. He was great a couple of years ago but has seemingly fell off the map. Bit like Wallis, one paced but strong. I'd pass but I think he should be playing seniors somewhere.

The devil in me says we have a similar player to these types on our list (Schache), so paying a decent amount to get one of the above over probably isn't worth it. Having said that, it all depends on the price and what else is available.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Schack did have a number of injuries in the second half of the season. True he was dropped savagely but really never had the time to work on it uninjured and push for a place. The potential plus side with Schack is worth keeping him on, particularly ahead of players like Dale, Gowers, Greene and Lloyd, and with Dicko retired. He's our mobile forward mid who happens to be a lot taller.

Can we find him a mentor who will turn it around for him? Johnno maybe?
    Ashley Hansen is our forward line coach. Playing for West Coast as a centre half forward he kicked 95 goals from 78 games. Injury cruelled him. Even played a similar type game as Schache. There's your mentor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Summed it up well soup. That type of player isn't a huge need given our shortcomings elsewhere, but there are some handy names on that list. Gunston is clearly the pick of the lot, wonder what he'd cost? Are the Hawks willing to actually rebuild?

Lynch is a good suggestion, worried he might be cooked and well past his best but perhaps being at a better team would see his game flourish again.

Waterman is a great option, like his aggression. Mihocek similar. I suspect both are unlikely to leave, but I guess money talks.

Caddy is an interesting one. He was great a couple of years ago but has seemingly fell off the map. Bit like Wallis, one paced but strong. I'd pass but I think he should be playing seniors somewhere.

The devil in me says we have a similar player to these types on our list (Schache), so paying a decent amount to get one of the above over probably isn't worth it. Having said that, it all depends on the price and what else is available.
    Agree TBB. This should be Schache's role for the club going forward if he stays. If we managed to get one of those you have mentioned it is no good hanging onto Schache.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Ashley Hansen is our forward line coach. Playing for West Coast as a centre half forward he kicked 95 goals from 78 games. Injury cruelled him. Even played a similar type game as Schache. There's your mentor.
    Personally I think it is time to get a new forward coach and bring in some fresh ideas.