Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 50 of 122 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354555657585960100 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    How could we possibly put someone on our list who is a worse addition to the list than two guys who in 9 seasons of senior football have combined for 14 games, all coming at the end of 2018 when we had no one else to pick and we were bog average?

If you take out 2018 they have combined for 7 seasons and 0 games, notably none in the last two years despite one being a creative and speedy half forward with a nice kick and the other being a good leading forward who hits the scoreboard, it isn't as if they've been kept out by our gun mids.

We love persisting with these low percentage guys and i can't think of any that have paid off. If we rated them we would have found a way to at least have a look at them in the last two years, like we have with Roarke Smith.

List spots are so valuable, even if you are replacing these guys with delisted players or rookies on 1 year contracts you are a better chance imo of finding someone who can contribute.
    Would like this 10 times if I could.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a bit surprised at the amount of people on here happy for the club to look at moving on Ritchards and/or JJ. I understand the frustration with both at times but take a look at our list. They along with VDM, Bailey Smith and Jong (when available) are the only ones with breakaway speed amongst a list of primarily one paced types and are an area we need to add to rather than diminish.

4. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    I'm a bit surprised at the amount of people on here happy for the club to look at moving on Ritchards and/or JJ. I understand the frustration with both at times but take a look at our list. They along with VDM, Bailey Smith and Jong (when available) are the only ones with breakaway speed amongst a list of primarily one paced types and are an area we need to add to rather than diminish.
    Richards gets it 7 times a game most weeks. What's the point of having speed if you use it to run where the ball isn't?

And then when he does manage to get on the end of it, he shanks it more often than not.
    Last edited by comrade; 21-10-2020 at 04:21 PM.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

6. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    I'm certainly not in the trade JJ camp, but Richards is being played completely out of position and if we were to get a good offer I'd listen. Not actively shopping him around, but I'd listen.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'm certainly not in the trade JJ camp, but Richards is being played completely out of position and if we were to get a good offer I'd listen. Not actively shopping him around, but I'd listen.
    For sure. Unfortunately we've done nothing to enhance his trade value. He'll probably have a breakout year next year...
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Richards gets it 7 times a game most weeks. What's the point of having speed if you use it to run where the ball isn't?

And then when he does manage to get on the end of it, he shanks it more often than not.
    I guess you have to weigh up if that's his ceiling or not. I don't think it is, I think he'll be OK.

We need to really cut the fringe players from the list IMO. The players that won't get any better, are great VFL players ( and trainers) but just can't cut it consistently at senior level. We play "Money Ball" to often with these types and the percentage of them breaking out to be our best is so low. We're better off cutting and hitting more in the later rounds and rookie draft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I guess you have to weigh up if that's his ceiling or not. I don't think it is, I think he'll be OK.

We need to really cut the fringe players from the list IMO. The players that won't get any better, are great VFL players ( and trainers) but just can't cut it consistently at senior level. We play "Money Ball" to often with these types and the percentage of them breaking out to be our best is so low. We're better off cutting and hitting more in the later rounds and rookie draft.
    Yeah, get your point and you're probably right. We keep 'low ceiling' types way too long for whatever reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of odd talk about the Bombers pursuing Dunkley.

If were the Bombers, I would not be targeting the impossible with Dunkley, but rather target young Westie.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Richards in 100% a keeper, as is JJ.

We must be one of few clubs not to have had much / any media around lost moves (although I could’ve missed it). Going to be a flurry of activity soon I suspect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yeah, get your point and you're probably right. We keep 'low ceiling' types way too long for whatever reason.
    So you think he's hit his ceiling comrade?

If our club think that then we should pull the trigger now while he has some currency.

Post Thanks / Like

So you think he's hit his ceiling comrade?

If our club think that then we should pull the trigger now while he has some currency.
    No, not Richards. Referring to the likes of Greene, Roarke, Lynch etc

Post Thanks / Like

Agree. We should be cutting hard and deep, regardless of the talent pool this year.

We seriously just need to pull the band aid off in one go.

We have delayed it for too long and now it is coming back to haunt us again and again and again.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Agree. We should be cutting hard and deep, regardless of the talent pool this year.

We seriously just need to pull the band aid off in one go.

We have delayed it for too long and now it is coming back to haunt us again and again and again.
    This would be the year more than any other that we should be able to find a DFA to fill a list need.
    Unfortunately until the AFL make an announcement on list sizes we'll probably have an information vacuum.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

17. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Unfortunately until the AFL make an announcement on list sizes we'll probably have an information vacuum.
    The fact that they still haven't made a call on that despite talking about it for literally months and trade period being effectively a week away is a great example of just how amateurish this league is. Their incompetence knows no bounds.

Meanwhile Gil and half the execs are chilling in Brisbane enjoying the social scene.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

19. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure the hold up in list size announcements is all on the AFL.

Players Association would be having a big say in this and I would not be surprised if they are just as much to blame as the AFL for the hold up.
    More of an In Bruges guy?