Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 65 of 122 FirstFirst ... 15555657585960616263646566676869707172737475115 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    In all honesty Bornadog, it would not surprise me. Trengove may has well not have been on the list this year as he wasn’t utilised at all in the ruck position. I can’t see Bevo just getting someone for the sake of it. English/Bruce/Sweet I think will be the way in 2021
    Trengove may end up with another year?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it’s such a pity Trengove has not been played more. He is an ok ruck and ok against gorilla forwards. Not great but serviceable. Always gives his all too. Unfathomable that he is in decent $ and not playing at least select games.

3. Likes DOG GOD, Murphy'sLore, Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    I think it’s such a pity Trengove has not been played more. He is an ok ruck and ok against gorilla forwards. Not great but serviceable. Always gives his all too. Unfathomable that he is in decent $ and not playing at least select games.
    Hey Josie. I missed most of this season. I thought he wasn't on our list anymore! Good god, I agree there. Always liked his effort.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Yep, was certainly not utilised like he should’ve been. Not sure why. Only Bevo and MC could answer that, but agree, he should’ve been used more especially against the Hawkins/Dixon types. He’s the type that leaves no stone unturned on field, and his leadership would surely be beneficial on field as well.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think it will come down to list size. I think he and suckling are both in the gun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I think it will come down to list size. I think he and suckling are both in the gun.
    I know that, but as I have said in another post, IF we don't get a ruck, best to keep Trengove for now. He will end up mostly in VFL, but at least if English is injured we have someone.

Alternative is Lew Young and Schache are ruckman for the future.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    What ruck options are there?
    Possible rucks include:
    -Jon Ceglar/Ben McEvoy. Hawthorn play both in the same side but could afford to let one go. Neither is amazing but can hold their own i the ruck and are semi competent elsewhere defence/forward respectively.
    -Mabior Chol. Second ruck who is super mobile and not in their best side.
    -Toby Nankervis. Multiple premiership winning tough ruck who I think would compliment English's style. Demonstrated how he can be effective behind the ball in the finals series. Out of contract.
    -Levi Casboult. Key forward who holds his own in the ruck. Would give us another marking target, and probably would be cheapish.
    -Marc Pittonet. I know he has only been at Carlton for a year but has been competent there, and they seem keen on pumping games into the raw Tom DeKoning (who they love btw and won't trade so don't bother asking) meaning they might be willing to let him go.
    -Mason Cox. Obviously been talked about already, out of contract.
    -Darcy Fort. Ex Footscray ruck who had some ok games in the ruck this year. I don't rate him but he has looked ok resting forward and kicked 3 goals against us last year.
    -Peter Wright. Hasn't really played as a ruck at AFL level and is slow as hell but seems to be available and fits the physical dimensions for the role.
    -Zac Smith. Has flirted with being a good ruck without ever actually achieving it, fairly mobile from memory but also a bit of a spud (like most names here tbf)
    -Brayden Preuss. Yuck.
    -Todd Goldstein. Obviously the best name here. Possibly gettable and would undoubtably make a difference. What would he cost though?
    -Peter Ladhams. The kind of player we should be looking to pry out, would be great for us and would form a pretty impressive ruck team with English.
    -Callum Sinclair. Perennial second ruck who is ok up forward.
    -Nathan Vardy/Tom Hickey. Competent if not wholly uninspiring ruck options that would be free.
    -Stefan Martin. Obviously been discussed, could be finished, could be a Ryder like option. Who knows?
    -Archie Smith. Looked promising years ago but mediocre as hell since.

There are also a bunch of unproven options. Most of these guys are probably terrible, but on the flipside if they are happy to move to a club where they become the clear number 2 (and possibly a chance to play in tandem with English) then I think we could sell it. Obviously there is no point grabbing them if we rate Sweet higher but based on us almost going out of our way to not pick Sweet even when we didn't plan on playing English as an actual ruck there must be severe doubts there.

On the plus side with these guys they are better options than draftees as they have already had the 2-3 years of AFL development most new rucks need put into them before they are ready, and unlike every other position rucks can be stuck in the wilderness for multiple years and then become good players. Reilly O'Brien is a great recent example of player that never got a chance for ages and then was able to step in and take the number one mantle pretty quickly.

Players that fit this category could include:
    -Callum Coleman-Jones. Huge ruck who has only managed 1 game thus far. Was a relatively high draft pick but is stuck behind a couple of rucks at Richmond.
    -Connor Ballenden. Giant key forward/ruck who managed a couple of games this year.
    -Tristan Xerri. Played as Ben brown lite a few games this year with poor results. Unsure what he is like as a an actual ruckman.
    -Sam Hayes, Sam Alabakis, Bailey Williams, Callum Jamieson. All fit the bill as rucks that haven't been given an opportunity but have been developing behind the scenes.

Also pretty sure Ryan Abbott was offered a new contract and declined to pursue non-AFL opportunities.
    Last edited by soupman; 30-10-2020 at 12:06 PM.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

9. Thanks bornadog, Happy Days, Mofra, Templeton31, jeemak, KT31 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps, but it must be a long shot. Just one game this year is a fair indicator Bevo would rather that English push through without support. Unless Trengove has no other interested teams I'm not sure a similar season in terms of opportunities wouldn't be a good one for him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Perhaps, but it must be a long shot. Just one game this year is a fair indicator Bevo would rather that English push through without support. Unless Trengove has no other interested teams I'm not sure a similar season in terms of opportunities wouldn't be a good one for him.
    My statement was made if we don't get another ruckman - we have no alternative if that happens..

Post Thanks / Like

If we haven’t even tried to get Goldstein, especially now that they have to trade with us for Young, then heads need to roll.

It’s just so obvious and I refuse to believe that we can’t talk North into moving him if the offer is right. I’d even be fine extending his deal, which IIRC was the sticking point when he almost went to Geelong last time.

If we make this move and do literally nothing else we’re top 4. It’s so simple it makes me want to scream that it’s seemingly being overlooked.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

13. Likes bornadog, DOG GOD, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    If we haven’t even tried to get Goldstein, especially now that they have to trade with us for Young, then heads need to roll.

It’s just so obvious and I refuse to believe that we can’t talk North into moving him if the offer is right. I’d even be fine extending his deal, which IIRC was the sticking point when he almost went to Geelong last time.

If we make this move and do literally nothing else we’re top 4. It’s so simple it makes me want to scream that it’s seemingly being overlooked.
    and Damian Barrett agrees with you

Post Thanks / Like

I think we simply have to get somebody. That somebody might even be a player that we don't consider part of our best 25, but purely for an emergency in case we get injuries.

The fact that it's come to this is pretty disappointing and a concern - clubs really shouldn't ever face a situation where they essentially only have 1-2 rucks on their list.

Worst case scenario if we can't get Goldy/McEvoy etc (likely), if we don't want Cox, then I can see us looking at somebody like Vardy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Possible rucks include:
    -Jon Ceglar/Ben McEvoy. Hawthorn play both in the same side but could afford to let one go. Neither is amazing but can hold their own i the ruck and are semi competent elsewhere defence/forward respectively.
    -Mabior Chol. Second ruck who is super mobile and not in their best side.
    -Toby Nankervis. Multiple premiership winning tough ruck who I think would compliment English's style. Demonstrated how he can be effective behind the ball in the finals series. Out of contract.
    -Levi Casboult. Key forward who holds his own in the ruck. Would give us another marking target, and probably would be cheapish.
    -Marc Pittonet. I know he has only been at Carlton for a year but has been competent there, and they seem keen on pumping games into the raw Tom DeKoning (who they love btw and won't trade so don't bother asking) meaning they might be willing to let him go.
    -Mason Cox. Obviously been talked about already, out of contract.
    -Darcy Fort. Ex Footscray ruck who had some ok games in the ruck this year. I don't rate him but he has looked ok resting forward and kicked 3 goals against us last year.
    -Peter Wright. Hasn't really played as a ruck at AFL level and is slow as hell but seems to be available and fits the physical dimensions for the role.
    -Zac Smith. Has flirted with being a good ruck without ever actually achieving it, fairly mobile from memory but also a bit of a spud (like most names here tbf)
    -Brayden Preuss. Yuck.
    -Todd Goldstein. Obviously the best name here. Possibly gettable and would undoubtably make a difference. What would he cost though?
    -Peter Ladhams. The kind of player we should be looking to pry out, would be great for us and would form a pretty impressive ruck team with English.
    -Callum Sinclair. Perennial second ruck who is ok up forward.
    -Nathan Vardy/Tom Hickey. Competent if not wholly uninspiring ruck options that would be free.
    -Stefan Martin. Obviously been discussed, could be finished, could be a Ryder like option. Who knows?
    -Archie Smith. Looked promising years ago but mediocre as hell since.

There are also a bunch of unproven options. Most of these guys are probably terrible, but on the flipside if they are happy to move to a club where they become the clear number 2 (and possibly a chance to play in tandem with English) then I think we could sell it. Obviously there is no point grabbing them if we rate Sweet higher but based on us almost going out of our way to not pick Sweet even when we didn't plan on playing English as an actual ruck there must be severe doubts there.

On the plus side with these guys they are better options than draftees as they have already had the 2-3 years of AFL development most new rucks need put into them before they are ready, and unlike every other position rucks can be stuck in the wilderness for multiple years and then become good players. Reilly O'Brien is a great recent example of player that never got a chance for ages and then was able to step in and take the number one mantle pretty quickly.

Players that fit this category could include:
    -Callum Coleman-Jones. Huge ruck who has only managed 1 game thus far. Was a relatively high draft pick but is stuck behind a couple of rucks at Richmond.
    -Connor Ballenden. Giant key forward/ruck who managed a couple of games this year.
    -Tristan Xerri. Played as Ben brown lite a few games this year with poor results. Unsure what he is like as a an actual ruckman.
    -Sam Hayes, Sam Alabakis, Bailey Williams, Callum Jamieson. All fit the bill as rucks that haven't been given an opportunity but have been developing behind the scenes.

Also pretty Ryan Abbott was offered a new contract and declined to pursue non-AFL opportunities.
    Realistically, who do we pitch for, as there are alot of rucks on that list I wouldn't touch.

Post Thanks / Like

Goldstein, ladhams and nankervis are the only players I’d look at. However, I think Bevo would only want Ladhams out of those 3 as he adds flexibility to the team.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that, but as I have said in another post, IF we don't get a ruck, best to keep Trengove for now. He will end up mostly in VFL, but at least if English is injured we have someone.

Alternative is Lew Young and Schache are ruckman for the future.
    I still believe Lew Young and Schache will not be at the dogs next year.