Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 69 of 122 FirstFirst ... 19596061626364656667686970717273747576777879119 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 1817
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Many don’t expect a young, underdeveloped ruckman to ruck alone for years to the detriment of both him and the team.

A brilliant midfield is dragged down, the backline is put under unnecessary pressure and the opposition is made more confident.

Elimination final: It took St Kilda 6 seconds from the starting siren to get the ball within 30 metres of goal.

This raises the stress levels for the supporters who anticipated a ruck stuff up (because they had watched game 2 of the season).
    Blame Bevo the Tim bashing is getting tiresome. Of course he doesn't have the craft he hasn't developed it yet. That said if Steven King can't teach this then I'm all for a Steph Martin for a year. A gap filler helps us immediately and helps Tim long-term.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

2. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s ok if Bevo wants Tim to ruck alone to fast track his development or whatever, but what about the mental scars he’s getting along the way having to ruck alone against the Grundys and Gawns of the competition.

After round 2 against the saints, blind Freddy could’ve seen the writing on the wall for the elimination final, and it was proven. English was once again smashed by the double team of Ryder and Marshall.

English will be a great player, but it might not be as the #1 ruck. He would seriously have to build his body for that. His biggest weapon is his marking ability, his agility to get between the 50 arcs and his ability to be good below the knees, with sound skills and good kicking technique. How about Bevo plays him to these strengths instead of throwing him to the wolves.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

4. Likes Bulldog Joe, Dancin' Douggy, Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Could not have said it better DG. I’m not sure he will ever be as good a ruck as Goldy, Gawn or Grundy. It’s not just his weaker upper body, I think it is his lack of aggression. Oh how I hope I am wrong. Has so much else to offer though. In interim why do we let him get ravaged and imo lose games by not having adequate support?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Could not have said it better DG. I’m not sure he will ever be as good a ruck as Goldy, Gawn or Grundy. It’s not just his weaker upper body, I think it is his lack of aggression. Oh how I hope I am wrong. Has so much else to offer though. In interim why do we let him get ravaged and imo lose games by not having adequate support?
    Totally agree Josie. Surely being butchered by the same opposition players can’t be good for his confidence coming up against those same guys.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Blame Bevo the Tim bashing is getting tiresome. Of course he doesn't have the craft he hasn't developed it yet. That said if Steven King can't teach this then I'm all for a Steph Martin for a year. A gap filler helps us immediately and helps Tim long-term.
    I don’t think I have ever seen a comment here that criticised Tim. He is talented and does his best. Just hasn’t been used sensibly.

8. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Should we be into any of the Geelong boys being pushed out to make way for the old brigade?

As far as I'm aware, Brad Close, Darcy Fort, Nakia Cockatoo, Quinton Narkle, Sam Simpson and Zach Guthrie are out of contract while Charlie Constable, Esava Ratugolea, Jordan Clark and Lachlan Fogarty all seem on the outer. Parfitt hasn't officially signed on but is rumoured to have extended for 2 more years.

Do any of these players hold interest to us? Almost all would cost stuff all I'd imagine, most have looked decent at stages albeit may have benefitted from having low expectations as being the 20th-22nd man.

Some are types we need/want, Ratugolea and Fort are mobile second rucks of questionable quality, Cockatoo and Clark are injury prone quick running wingers, Close, Narkle and Fogarty are all pacy half forwards that kind of crumb, Constable is a big bodied mid with a nice kick who is pretty slow and Simpson is a clean half forward/mid that seems the most established of the lot in their 22.
    Menegola sounds like he could fall out of the tree, we should be all over him. Would be nice to add some experience we could get 4 good years out of him.

10. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    It’s ok if Bevo wants Tim to ruck alone to fast track his development or whatever, but what about the mental scars he’s getting along the way having to ruck alone against the Grundys and Gawns of the competition.

After round 2 against the saints, blind Freddy could’ve seen the writing on the wall for the elimination final, and it was proven. English was once again smashed by the double team of Ryder and Marshall.

English will be a great player, but it might not be as the #1 ruck. He would seriously have to build his body for that. His biggest weapon is his marking ability, his agility to get between the 50 arcs and his ability to be good below the knees, with sound skills and good kicking technique. How about Bevo plays him to these strengths instead of throwing him to the wolves.
    So we should play him like Max King. Oh we can’t as we don’t have a ruckman that’s Bevo wants to play. Sam power come on down.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

12. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

According to Cal Twomey from AFL.com.au back at the end of 2016 Nankervis was deciding between the tigers and the dogs.

I wonder if Nankervis had of chosen the dogs do we draft English?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    According to Cal Twomey from AFL.com.au back at the end of 2016 Nankervis was deciding between the tigers and the dogs.

I wonder if Nankervis had of chosen the dogs do we draft English?
    After the flag?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    After the flag?
    Yeah end of 2016. We missed out on Nankervis when he went to Richmond and then we drafted English in the 2016 national draft.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah end of 2016. We missed out on Nankervis when he went to Richmond and then we drafted English in the 2016 national draft.
    Amazing. We just won the lot and had the world at our feet and we still get rejected. Glad we got Tim though.

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt we would have got Tim, as we had Tom at that stage and Roughy.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Who's to say Nank wouldn't have gotten Trengoved though?
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Who's to say Nank wouldn't have gotten Trengoved though?
    That's one of the best noun to verb conversions I've seen. And it's also a good point. They probably have similar GPS outputs.

Post Thanks / Like

Weird target. At the time we had both Campbell and Roughead fighting it out for the number one spot, with Boyd as adequate support. Unless we saw Nankervis leapfrogging those guys why would we get him?
    I should leave it alone but you're not right