Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 9 of 122 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    The MC seem to like R Smith as a role-player, we can't carry Roarke and Hayes in the team though.
    If we manage to trade for XavOH then he may not survive the cull.
    XOH XOH Gossip Girl.

I wasn’t in before but I guess I am now.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

What is Preuss' contract situation?

Either way, we need a ruck - even if they're little more than a big body who can help mitigate the current disaster.

There has to be a couple of rucks not getting games at clubs, ala Pittonet last year who has been handy for Carltank.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Surely we have plenty of chaff to cut? I doubt any of R.Smith, Trengove, Gowers, Hayes, Lynch and probably Porter are here next year.

On the opening post of the thread I detailed the work that needs to be done to get the list down to 38 and then 34 if you want to draft for 3 players (the minimum) and trade for one. Unless clubs are trading for some of our players it might be a bit harder this year than any other I can recall. On top of that we probably should be looking to add a ruckman as well
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Has the list size cull been confirmed? It's being spoken about as a known fact in the media but haven't heard anything official.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Has the list size cull been confirmed? It's being spoken about as a known fact in the media but haven't heard anything official.
    Nope, nothing official at all.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    What is Preuss' contract situation?

Either way, we need a ruck - even if they're little more than a big body who can help mitigate the current disaster.

There has to be a couple of rucks not getting games at clubs, ala Pittonet last year who has been handy for Carltank.
    GWS likely to be in the market too with Jacobs and Mumford maybe not going on

Preuss signed for 3 years? when he moved to Melbourne so has one more year remaining on that

Nankervis, Bellchambers, Hickey, Vardy might be available cheap

Would it be worth trying to get Rhys Stanley or Callum Sinclair (neither may be gettable)

or Archie Smith?

Convert a basketballer?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I was listening to someone the other day who thought it would either get down to 40 or 38 and that wanted to know sooner than later

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I was listening to someone the other day who thought it would either get down to 40 or 38 and that wanted to know sooner than later
    Is that including the rookie list?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    GWS likely to be in the market too with Jacobs and Mumford maybe not going on

Preuss signed for 3 years? when he moved to Melbourne so has one more year remaining on that

Nankervis, Bellchambers, Hickey, Vardy might be available cheap

Would it be worth trying to get Rhys Stanley or Callum Sinclair (neither may be gettable)

or Archie Smith?

Convert a basketballer?
    I can only see Bevo looking for an athletic type of ruckman, not a lumbering type. Someone that can play in multiple roles if necessary. Those guys don't grow on trees, and maybe we need to see who is available in the draft, or even rookie a young ruckman. MJP has always said, we should rookie a young ruck almost every year or have one being developed constantly.

The trouble is they take so long to develop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    He's progressing nicely at everything but his actual ruck craft.

Jumps too early in the centre bounces, gets outpositioned easily in boundary throw ins and lacks contested ability/know how when the ball hits the ground at a stoppage. A hardened, experienced (active) ruckman to train against each day would do wonders for that side of his game, IMO.
    Look its a funny one. He only averages 16 hit outs a game which is considered poor (rightly so) but he gets 5 hitouts to advantage per game which at 31% is very good. He had 23 with 9 to advantage against the Eagles. Hickey had 28 with 7.

He is close and getting better every month - still has lapses and really poor games.

RE: the contested ability, I honestly think its just not his style. He prefers to stay on his feet and can be very clean with his hands.

I actually hate the way that 90% of our team go in for the contested ball, leaves us extremely open to fast breaks and the amount of goals we concede where a ball spills out to a free player really annoys me.

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Is that including the rookie list?
    Total numbers meaning we could have a reduced list by 5 to 7 players on what we started this season with.
    So from 45 players this year having to drop to either 40 or 38 for next season.

All clubs need to get down even further from those numbers because they need to draft 3 players. If you sign a FA or trade a pick for a player you need to get down even lower. I can see players being redrafted by their own teams

Jason McCartney talked a bit about it today saying there will be a lot of clubs looking at players from other clubs that might get delisted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Look its a funny one. He only averages 16 hit outs a game which is considered poor (rightly so) but he gets 5 hitouts to advantage per game which at 31% is very good. He had 23 with 9 to advantage against the Eagles. Hickey had 28 with 7.
    There is no doubt he can more than match it versus the second/third tier type ruckmen in the competition (Essendon's Phillips for example whe he completely dominated and Hickey fits into this bucket) but I prefer not to measure him against them.

What I care about are his performances against top 8 sides. He was destroyed by Grundy, the Saints guys worked him over completely, big O gave him a bath against Brisbane etc.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

14. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just picking up a ruck for the sake of it would be insanity. Any experienced addition in ruck stocks needs to fit in with the way we play and needs to actually add something apart from being a tall. Anyone we get needs to either be elite at getting first hands on the ball or give something else elite around the ground. Just plonking in an average ruck because he is tall is like playing a tall forward who can’t mark the ball, all it does is slow you down. Put me in the camp of getting creative and trying to establish a mobility advantage if we can’t get the right player.

We also need to consider the flexibility of any ruck option we get. English needs games so to me it means if we spend money, picks or a player to get quality in they must be able to play forward to have the ability to operate in tandem.

Post Thanks / Like

Tweet from Tom Brown

List size discussion is heating up. @AFLPlayers haven’t finalised position yet. But some momentum and discussion around 40 + 2 today. It’s come up in discussion with clubs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Tweet from Tom Brown
    40 would a reasonable outcome. I think most clubs would reduce their lists by 10 players