Thanks Thanks:  213
Likes Likes:  888
Page 92 of 122 FirstFirst ... 42828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 1817
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management for 2020/21

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    That's kind of my point though. We can draw a million what ifs without any substance.

What if we win the flag and Treloar kicks 10 and wins the Norm?

Just because Dunkley cracked the sads about mid minutes, it doesn't mean every other player will. We're also not privy to what our plans are for 2021 and I doubt we are into Treloar on the premise that we play Smith purely as a HFFer.

I've been on seat 1A for Treloar but I agree 5 years @ 900K is stupid, so any deal would (surely) need to be predicated on that figure coming down / Collingwood contributing.
    Totally agree with you. I still don't buy the sooking about midfield minutes. It is a team game, and the coach works out the best positions he wants you to play. Of course the coach should play you to your strengths, but there are times you sacrifice for the good of the team.

If we end up keeping Dunks and get Treloar, I don't think there will be an issue with time in the middle, or around the ground.
    Last edited by bornadog; 11-11-2020 at 10:33 AM. Reason: typo
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Collingwood are reported to be kicking in $100k, perhaps $150k.

Treloar is a burst mid who missed games due to his hammys this year. He'll be 28 at the start of next year and potentially our second highest paid player, at least in the top handful. A 31, 32 year old burst mid with hamstring issues doesn't scream $900k pa to me.

I just think if we are going to trade in a $900k x 5 player we'd want an A grader in a position of need. I don't see midfield as a position of need. There will be likely be very good FAs available for less than that next year.
    How bad do Collingwood need to free up cap space? Nobody truly knows. 100k is likely their starting point but I don't think 200K is without question, dependent on their situation. It's worth asking the question.

The hamstring issues are why we'd be doing a thorough medical. Results of that would/will be interesting.

History suggests we just don't attract elite free agents and I don't rate our midfield that highly. I think the club is handling things well by looking into all the options.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: discussion above - I’m in the bringing quality in makes us better and more appealing for players to stay and win things camp.

I’m all in on Treloar if the medical’s good
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

5. Likes bornadog, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What if Smith gets pissed off that he is now shunted to the HFF to accommodate Treloar's midfield time?

To me if we're considering likely scenarios, Treloar is waving multiple red flags for mine based mostly on his contract but a little on his role. We're potentially losing a gun mid now due to lack of midfield minutes, replacing him with a mid who is even less versatile on a $900k x 5 year deal just doesn't seem sensible.
    This scenario is exactly why we need to be clear to Treloar that he is being recruited to play on a wing, and why we need to accept nothing less than him on $600k a year for the life of the deal.

Otherwise, this is a needless risk with potential ramifications not unlike Collingwood are now experiencing thanks to recruiting Beams (in form not substance).
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

This.

We always complain that we can't attract elite talent. Well, now is the perfect chance to get one and.... we don't want to?

* Medical / sorting out his contract permitting.
    That is the key plus his mental outlook which unfortunately he has struggled with. We have been down that path before. Otherwise if those 3 things can be sorted it is a yes from me ....although I do see a red flag or 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Totally agree with you. I still don't buy the sooking about midfield minutes. It is a team game, and the coach works out the best positions he wants you to play. Of course the coach should play you to your strengths, buty there are times you sacrifice for the good of the team.

If we end up keeping Dunks and get Treloar, I don't think there will be an issue with time in the middle, or around the ground.
    I 1000% agree with this. If we have both Dunkley and Treloar, our team is better for it and we can manage midfield minutes and be more successful.

How we manage salary cap, I'll leave to smarter minds than mind to figure out.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone heard anything about Joel Hamling and a return to the DOGS. Would be an ideal pick up and make our defence a lot more attacking by releasing Wood and/or Keith to intercept.

Post Thanks / Like

How bad do Collingwood need to free up cap space? Nobody truly knows. 100k is likely their starting point but I don't think 200K is without question, dependent on their situation. It's worth asking the question.

The hamstring issues are why we'd be doing a thorough medical. Results of that would/will be interesting.

History suggests we just don't attract elite free agents and I don't rate our midfield that highly. I think the club is handling things well by looking into all the options.
    It may be moot - Stephenson meeting with North. $600k pa off their books might just be enough. In that case Treloar can probably fit under their cap. Phillips may still move as well.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

It may be moot - Stephenson meeting with North. $600k pa off their books might just be enough. In that case Treloar can probably fit under their cap. Phillips may still move as well.
    I'd take Phillips over Treloar, specially if Dunkley stays on, no idea why we aren't chasing that up.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

13. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    I'd take Phillips over Treloar, specially if Dunkley stays on, no idea why we aren't chasing that up.
    $600k is one reason - he hit a bunch of performance clauses in 2019 apparently.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    This scenario is exactly why we need to be clear to Treloar that he is being recruited to play on a wing, and why we need to accept nothing less than him on $600k a year for the life of the deal.

Otherwise, this is a needless risk with potential ramifications not unlike Collingwood are now experiencing thanks to recruiting Beams (in form not substance).
    $900k for a wing spot for a bloke who doesn't really want to play for us, shoving him to a spot he's hardly played? I'd be dead against it.

Post Thanks / Like

$600k is one reason - he hit a bunch of performance clauses in 2019 apparently.

If Collingwood offered to pick up 100k of that a year, I'd say that's almost fair.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

$900k for a wing spot for a bloke who doesn't really want to play for us, shoving him to a spot he's hardly played? I'd be dead against it.
    "and why we need to accept nothing less than him on $600k a year for the life of the deal."

Realistically we shouldn't get him but I'm pretty curious to see it on field.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I would be surprised if he played wing with us very often.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    I would be surprised if he played wing with us very often.
    Me as well, but the post I replied to had him on a wing.