Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  48
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do we get our bark back?

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I think dramatically improved is overstating it. He's been better in recent weeks but was still poor earlier in the season.

He's kicked 9.5 from 19 shots (47%) this year. I'm not sure on the set shot breakdown. At least he's better than Cripps.
    More like 64%
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    More like 64%
    I know you probably learned on an abacus back in your day but 9 goals from 19 shots is 47% on my calculator.

3. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Yeah I came to that thought just before I clicked 'Post' but did it anyway.

To a point, you can improve kicking skills. Intangibles are much harder to pickup. Especially executing them consistently. Funnily enough I think our mids are intelligent guys so these intangible skills shouldn't be difficult for them to pick up. But we do see the same problems present themselves repeatedly.
    LOL. 'Cos they don't want to defend. Knowing how to do it and wanting to do it aren't the same thing.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    LOL. 'Cos they don't want to defend. Knowing how to do it and wanting to do it aren't the same thing.
    That's how I put on 5kg during the first iso period
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I know you probably learned on an abacus back in your day but 9 goals from 19 shots is 47% on my calculator.
    9 goals on 14 shots

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

So we have a lazy midfield group?

Post Thanks / Like

9 goals on 14 shots
    He hasn't had 14 shots, he's had 19, I've now repeated this 3 times. You can't just ignore the out on the fulls or the ones that fall short. Josh Bruce's accuracy also looks good when you do that.

Post Thanks / Like

9 goals on 14 shots
    He has had 19 shots though. 5 of them were just so bad that they went no where near the goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Umm.
    Ability to find space in transition.
    Able to fulfill multiple roles in a contest structure.
    Willingness/Speed in transition from a contest.
    Defensive positioning skills - able to play in space and one-v-one.
    ...you could go on and on.
    I would say the Willingness/speed in transition from a contest is a key point.

Our biggest failing this year has been our inability to stop sides on a role until a break in play (end of quarters).
    This has been our undoing in just about all our losses. Sides that could exploit the above point by opening us up on the rebound
    have ripped us apart. StKilda, Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond, Brisbane for example.
    All the footage i've seen of these goals, you can see our mids are quite slow to transition back. None of them other than Smith has any pace over 20meters, and they don't push back hard enough.

While we succumbed to Geelong, i was pleased that our physical efforts were much better and we were able to slow the avalanche down somewhat.

11. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He hasn't had 14 shots, he's had 19, I've now repeated this 3 times. You can't just ignore the out on the fulls or the ones that fall short. Josh Bruce's accuracy also looks good when you do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    He has had 19 shots though. 5 of them were just so bad that they went no where near the goal.
    Where is the stat for the 19 shots. I am only going by scoring shots.

Not saying I don't believe you, but you never mentioned 5 other shots that didn't make it.

EDIT: NEVER MIND FOUND IT.

Post Thanks / Like

Where is the stat for the 19 shots. I am only going by scoring shots.

Not saying I don't believe you, but you never mentioned 5 other shots that didn't make it.
    Yes I did, it says 19 shots in my first post:

I think dramatically improved is overstating it. He's been better in recent weeks but was still poor earlier in the season.

He's kicked 9.5 from 19 shots (47%) this year. I'm not sure on the set shot breakdown. At least he's better than Cripps.
    It's from the AFL website and it only stands to reason players usually have more shots than the sum of their goals and behinds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    I would say the Willingness/speed in transition from a contest is a key point.
    So - you make some great points about this but there is (of course) another part to it.

If we acknowledge it as 'a sometime weakness', we could scheme/structure around it to a point...ours structures are pretty aggressive (which is good because counter to another comment in this thread oftentimes when we get out we get 'OUT', but we could hold our o-mids a little more defensively or even look to wrap the 6th around behind the stoppage rather than hold corridor to provide a bit of extra support...

It's all swings and roundabouts right? Ultimately the players need to defend a bit harder at the source.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

What did Stella do to get her groove back? This is where all the answers are.

Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It annoys me no end in seeing a quality midfielder go unchecked but unless we are instructing someone to do it we will get burned at times.
    Last year we got thrashed by Cripps and lost the to Carlton game, a few weeks later in a rematch we matched him up and limited his impact and we won it

We just need to have a rethink about using someone in a tagging or run with role
    Both McLean & Libba have tagged with some success but not regularly.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I did, it says 19 shots in my first post:

It's from the AFL website and it only stands to reason players usually have more shots than the sum of their goals and behinds.
    And if you take out the game where he kicked 6-0 it would be a very poor % for the others.