Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  56
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Year of the Dogs Flashbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I think it's fair to acknowledge that we came very close to another frustrating loss with all the usual limitations on display.
    True, but you have to remember who we were playing as well. I don't believe we are a top 4 side yet, as we don't have the right players all over the ground, but losses to Port, Geelong, Brisbane and beating West Coast showed we are close.

I am excited for the future, and if we can play finals, that would be great.

My biggest disappointment this season has been the Richmond loss, and it was all down to the 2nd quarter. I know we lost to Collingwood badly, and the Saints but we should have been right up there against Richmond as we have matched them well in the past.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    One in particular.....no names
    Bloody grantysghost. We should run him out of town.
    "It's over. It's all over."

3. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    There's been a few 'shouldas' and what ifs in this thread around our goal kicking, i.e. we should have won by 5+ goals.

Well, Jack Darling should have kicked the goal late and we would have lost. Would this thread still exist if so?
    Don't disagree, but it's getting unbearable at times here, where a win and a loss are almost treated identically.
    Celebrate a win, highlight the good and the bad.
    We got 90% of our game right against a quality opposition, and we won.
    All of the elements we've loathed about our performances over the journey were ticked off, bar goalkicking.
    I was particularly pleased with how we stopped the rot at Qtr time, and dried up the costly goals from turnovers.. They kicked 3 goals after Qtr time. And all the while we didn't stop playing a fast attacking game.
    We had a conventional ruck set up that actually worked.
    Our mids worked hard all game, including effectively shutting down their known prime movers.
    We didn't drop our heads when it looked as if our poor conversion would cost us.
    Our leader, who we've all lamented missing 'Captain's goals' in the past, slotted through an amazing goal to lift us over the line.
    Tim English took some massive clunks in defense and on the wing snuffing out West coast's last opportunity to get over the line.

IF Jack Darling kicked that goal, I think it would've gone into meltdown here, but it still wouldn't have meant the performance wasn't pleasing. I'd like to think the focus would've been on our crap goalkicking...and not more of the 'Bevo is stubborn and stuck in his ways and that's why we lost tonight narrative'.

5. Likes soupman, bornadog, Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Bloody grantysghost. We should run him out of town.
    You're gonna have a hard time getting your Chinese food delivered now for naming names

I hope there are some Seinfeld fans here to get that

7. Thanks Bulldog4life, Sedat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Don't disagree, but it's getting unbearable at times here, where a win and a loss are almost treated identically.
    Celebrate a win, highlight the good and the bad.
    We got 90% of our game right against a quality opposition, and we won.
    All of the elements we've loathed about our performances over the journey were ticked off, bar goalkicking.
    I was particularly pleased with how we stopped the rot at Qtr time, and dried up the costly goals from turnovers.. They kicked 3 goals after Qtr time. And all the while we didn't stop playing a fast attacking game.
    We had a conventional ruck set up that actually worked.
    Our mids worked hard all game, including effectively shutting down their known prime movers.
    We didn't drop our heads when it looked as if our poor conversion would cost us.
    Our leader, who we've all lamented missing 'Captain's goals' in the past, slotted through an amazing goal to lift us over the line.
    Tim English took some massive clunks in defense and on the wing snuffing out West coast's last opportunity to get over the line.

IF Jack Darling kicked that goal, I think it would've gone into meltdown here, but it still wouldn't have meant the performance wasn't pleasing. I'd like to think the focus would've been on our crap goalkicking...and not more of the 'Bevo is stubborn and stuck in his ways and that's why we lost tonight narrative'.
    Isn't this what generally happens? IMO this is what I see, ignoring the game day thread obviously. To call it unbearable seems over the top to me. Maybe I'm not reading all the posts but perhaps people are focusing on the negative posts a little too much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Isn't this what generally happens? IMO this is what I see, ignoring the game day thread obviously. To call it unbearable seems over the top to me. Maybe I'm not reading all the posts but perhaps people are focusing on the negative posts a little too much.
    Bingo. The gaslighting is getting out of hand.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I must admit, this forum has turned very negative this year, but I am staying positive.
    It may have something to do with the fact Bevo's win/loss % since the flag year is identical to Simon Goodwin's over the same period.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

11. Likes SonofScray, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    It may have something to do with the fact Bevo's win/loss % since the flag year is identical to Simon Goodwin's over the same period.
    And that is precisely the example of the lack of nuance that can be frustrating to converse with.

Post Thanks / Like

Play finals this year and that is 4 out of 6 including the big one.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Play finals this year and that is 4 out of 6 including the big one.
    Yep.
    And that is not to say Bevo and the broader football department have not made some poor decisions in that time.
    But there are also a lot of other reasons that better separate where we are at in comparison to Melbourne outside of a similar win-loss ratio.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    You're gonna have a hard time getting your Chinese food delivered now for naming names

I hope there are some Seinfeld fans here to get that
    You're Benes.
    "It's over. It's all over."

16. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A haiku in summation:

Very brief –
    Gleam of blossoms in the treetops
    On a moonlit night.

18. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    There's been a few 'shouldas' and what ifs in this thread around our goal kicking, i.e. we should have won by 5+ goals.

Well, Jack Darling should have kicked the goal late and we would have lost. Would this thread still exist if so?
    Should he? He was 5 goals 10 behinds from that spot. Odds on to miss.

Post Thanks / Like

Or 54% vs 32% in the past 2 seasons.

21. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Should he? He was 5 goals 10 behinds from that spot. Odds on to miss.
    Just like we ‘should’ have won by more, I guess?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.