Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  62
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: It was four years ago today...

This night started a perennial feast on my own words when it comes to Liam Picken.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I also was waiting for the same old Bulldogs to kick into gear, but then Jordan Roughead played on from a mark and slotted one from 50, which is distinctly not the sort of thing that happens in games you lose.

Shout out to the West Coast supporter who told me that we'd never win a flag as he was leaving the Great Northern around 3QT. Hope he got the help he needs.
    Anyone who leaves early in the face of a big defeat is making a big statement and it's all about - THEMSELVES.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

This is still my second favourite game ever !!!

I had the pleasure of sitting on the wing, right in front of where Darling heard footsteps ... still love that moment !!

I've said this on this forum before; I took my (then) six year old son to the game that day. Three weeks before he had told me he wanted to be an Eagles supporter. Just before the game started, we were queuing for some food and a pre-pubescent kid got right in my son's face and said "Enjoy your last game of footy for the year ... loser." Geez, I wish we could have found that blighter after the game, just to wish him a safe journey back to his humble abode.

A couple of weeks later, I rang my six year old at about 5:30pm on the 1st October and said to him 'we won mate, we won'. His reply "I know Daddy; I've been waiting my whole life for this!!!" ... son, you have no idea

Happy to say he is still a dyed-in-the-wool Bulldog !!
    Last edited by Scraggers; 09-09-2020 at 05:13 PM.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    A couple of weeks later, I rang my six year old at about 5:30pm on the 1st October and said to him 'we won mate, we won'. His reply "I know Daddy; I've been waiting my whole life for this!!!" ... son, you have no idea

That is so cute - love it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazing thread. So many warm memories. I watched it in Melbourne - convinced we’d lose before the game - on the couch w my dad who has been taking me to the footy since I was 2 months old. The grand final was the best day of my life - and this win started the greatest finals campaign of all time to get there.

Post Thanks / Like

Delightful story Scraggers. Keep reminding your son so he remembers that day for the rest of his life. What a lovely memory for you two to treasure and possibly retell to his children!!

8. Likes Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the pleasure of sitting on the wing, right in front of where Darling heard footsteps ... still love that moment !!

I've said this on this forum before; I took my (then) six year old son to the game that day. Three weeks before he had told me he wanted to be an Eagles supporter. Just before the game started, we were queuing for some food and a pre-pubescent kid got right in my son's face and said "Enjoy your last game of footy for the year ... loser." Geez, I wish we could have found that blighter after the game, just to wish him a safe journey back to his humble abode.

That is just beautiful.
    It makes you wonder doesn't it about the sort of people that would raisrle a pre-pubescent kid who feels it's just fine to go up a taunt a complete stranger. Perhaps someone will tip him on his arse before it's too late as his parents aren't interested in getting him to pull his head in.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

10. Likes WBFC4FFC, Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember this one! Was watching in Melbourne and couldn't believe my eyes. Eagles fans were all over social media saying it doesn't matter because we won't win the flag anyway etc. I would have loved to have been at the game and watch the fans scurry out at 3QT.

Post Thanks / Like

Same thing after the NAB cup final in 2010. My phone rang and it was my (then) 11 yo in a state of disbelief.

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Amazing thread. So many warm memories. I watched it in Melbourne - convinced we’d lose before the game - on the couch w my dad who has been taking me to the footy since I was 2 months old. The grand final was the best day of my life - and this win started the greatest finals campaign of all time to get there.
    Watched the first 3 finals with my son on TV sitting in exactly the same spots on the two couches in the lounge room each time. Usually when I watch a game on TV I will hold a footy in my hands and when they kicked the second of those two goals I threw it down the passageway. Before each of the next two games and just before I left to go to the GF I threw the same ball into the same spot.

We did our bit!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

13. Likes Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    This night started a perennial feast on my own words when it comes to Liam Picken.
    Did you say pirinea...

Oh! Sorry! You said perennial!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

The Bulldog Tragician - now I'm hoping we're in for one of these a week for the next 3 weeks!

I went to the other 3 finals and whilst the prelim is the best actual football game I've seen live and the GF is the best day of my life, the semi was the best experience of "wiping arrogance off another teams supporters faces" I've had. Certainly the most satisfying.

Will cross fjngers and save those stories if the threads start...
    The dam wall has busted!

16. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Watched the first 3 finals with my son on TV sitting in exactly the same spots on the two couches in the lounge room each time. Usually when I watch a game on TV I will hold a footy in my hands and when they kicked the second of those two goals I threw it down the passageway. Before each of the next two games and just before I left to go to the GF I threw the same ball into the same spot.

We did our bit!
    Not going to lie TD, might have been as important as Roughy's mark after JJ's goal was inconclusively disallowed
    The dam wall has busted!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Same thing after the NAB cup final in 2010. My phone rang and it was my (then) 11 yo in a state of disbelief.

We did our bit!
    Barry...baaaaarrryyy.....

19. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I still think Roughy's blind turn to goal was his career highlight to that point, and Picken marking between two taller opponents just showed how amazing a judge of the flight of the ball he really was. From a guy who couldn't even get rookied as a FS pick for Collingwood, then spent years as a tagger for us.
    Each of the finals series we all would have moments that are etched in our mind forever.

The West Coast game for me is Rougheads goal, Daniels goal from 50m out on the run and that Picken mark. Not only did he judged the ball superbly but the strength to also do it.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Picken elevated himself to an entirely new level that night, and maintained the rage for the entire finals series. Would love to buy that bloke a beer one day.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

22. Likes WBFC4FFC, kruder liked this post