Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  13

View Poll Results: What frustrates YOU the most?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Over-use of handball and 3metre kicks?

5 18.52%
  • Concede goal-side in D50?

3 11.11%
  • Too many numbers in F50?

4 14.81%
  • Missed goals that release pressure?

13 48.15%
  • Something else?

2 7.41%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

We can be frustrating to watch at times because:

Watching the Hawthorn game today, I was frustrated...as I feel like I always am whenever we are playing a team that is RUBBISH. (And Hawthorn are rubbish).

There are 4x main things that upset me:

- We are smart alecs with the footy and over-handball/3metre kick when we think we are the better side.
    - We are smart alecs WITHOUT the footy and repeatedly (that's harsh - regularly!) concede goal-side in D50.
    - Everyone seems to want to get a kick in forward 50 and we compress our OWN forward 50 making it impossible to score.
    - We repeatedly have shots on goal from low %'age situations which releases the pressure on our opponents.

What have I missed...and what frustrates you the most?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: We can be frustrating to watch at times because:

For me it’s the numbers inside forward 50, which leads to, too many handballs and then rushed kicks at goal from a low percentage area on the ground.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    For me it’s the numbers inside forward 50, which leads to, too many handballs and then rushed kicks at goal from a low percentage area on the ground.
    I absolutely love your response.

Honestly, I wanted to turn it off at half-time. My wife looked at me like I was crazy and I said "yep, but remember this later - our best footy of the day has already been played"...needless to say I watched the second half and needless to say I was right!

4. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually it used to drive me mad in the 2000s watching us share the ball around constantly inside 50 because nobody (except Brad Johnson) wanted to take responsibility to have a shot at goal. I'm happy to watch us have a ping from inside 50. In fact I used to think that it should be a team rule. If you find yourself inside 50 with the ball in your hand then have a shot. So I'm happy to see us back ourselves in and have a ping.

Although I agree that we could make some space and pack less bodies in the forward 50.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

6. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I called all of these things out one way or another within the game day thread.

It seems as games go on be develop a mania that results in more doubling down on the things we definitely know we shouldn't be doing too much of, like giving ground with hands and still having to rush the kick forward anyway or whatever it is.

I even suggested during the half time break or thereabouts that we should concede more turf when we're compressing the forward fifty so heavily. It's funny, the times we shouldn't concede turf, you know, when we're sixty metres to eighty metres from our defencive goal under pressure is the only time we seem to. When we actually need to, like when we've had five thousand pressured entries in five minutes we never do.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing worse than a looooooooooooooooonnnnnnnngggggggg point if you ask me. Guys having shots when they might be 2/10. There has to be a better plan.

Post Thanks / Like

There’s a number of things but the over handball inside 50 is up there. So many times it looks like a player could have a shot and handball it to another player further out under similar pressure. I get we’re trying to create the best shot but I don’t see that happen all too often. This is where we need some smart small forwards who know how to kick a goal

Post Thanks / Like

We seem to always have huge numbers inside 50 compared to other teams. We just keep pumping it in and press forward sometimes to our detriment
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Over handball in the f50 for me. It's almost a self fulfilling prophecy you flood your own attack by creating so many handball options.
    I love players who take the extra second, lower the eyes and hit a target by foot. But we never seem to create enough space for this to happen consistently enough. Liberatore is gold standard.
    Why do we get so many numbers forward? Is this the plan?

Post Thanks / Like

At times?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

13. Thanks The Bulldogs Bite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For me its the hard work to lock the ball in our forward 50, and generate multiple scoring opportunities with not goal at the end of it.... and then to watch that time and field ownership come to naught as the other team converts on their 1st foray forward.

15. Likes bulldogsthru&thru, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    For me its the hard work to lock the ball in our forward 50, and generate multiple scoring opportunities with not goal at the end of it.... and then to watch that time and field ownership come to naught as the other team converts on their 1st foray forward.
    Yep. And they convert with such an open, uncongested forward line.

Post Thanks / Like

#1 issue for mine is allowing the opposition to play pagans paddock in their fwd 50. Once they break that centre line and the camera pans to their fwd line I literally scream at the tv.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

18. Likes CarnTheScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    #1 issue for mine is allowing the opposition to play pagans paddock in their fwd 50. Once they break that centre line and the camera pans to their fwd line I literally scream at the tv.
    Yep as soon as it goes into their forward 50 I know they'll score. Our defence cannot retreat fast enough not only because its slow but because they aren't given any time to.

We made 1.93cm giant Gunston look like Phar Lap by letting him gallop past everyone else.

20. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted fir goal kicking. Only because it’s been a problem not addressed over the last 5 years.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.