Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Morris among Bulldogs coaching casualties

link

Western Bulldogs favourite son Dale Morris won't be returning to the club next year, one of several staff members let go by the Dogs last week.

Premiership defender Morris, 37, was appointed a development coach at the end of last year following his retirement from playing.

But he was stood down during the AFL's initial coronavirus shutdown in March and did not return to the club ahead of the season resumption in June. Assistant coaches Jordan Russell and Joel Corey were in the same boat.

Like myriad assistant coaches and other football department staffers across the league, Morris, Corey and Russell have been told they will not be returning to their roles next year as clubs deal with significantly reduced football department soft caps.

Discussing the ongoing standowns in May, Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge said the situation was very difficult.

"[Morris] has got a really bright future as a coach," Beveridge said.

"It's just the first step on his journey and he's constrained now, he's not able to pursue that here at the moment.

"That's probably one of the top-three most challenging days of my life, last Friday.

"I can only imagine how challenging it was [for] the young men who got that news as well.

"I'd love to think at some point in the future I can go to some of those guys and say 'we've got a position for you if you're willing to take it up', but they may have moved on by then.

"There's obviously a sadness to that and the guilt we all feel, the ones that are still in the program, and still have jobs."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Morris among Bulldogs coaching casualties

Sad to hear Moz leave. Hopefully we can get him back to the club in the future.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

3. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really hope Moz gets a gig somewhere, and can come back to the club down the track.
    Hopefully bridges haven't been burned by these outcomes, but I understand that the club had no choice but to make these kinds of difficult decisions.

Post Thanks / Like

Feel like Corey is a big loss. Often credited by some of our better players as being a big influence.

Hard to know really though how big an impact each departure has.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

So appropriate for Eastdog to have that 2016 iconic shot of Moz toppling Buddy as an avatar:
    BuddygetsMozzed.jpg

A truly worthy clubman and such an inspiration to those who played with him and his followers. Guts personified.

So sad to see him stood down, along with Jordan and Joel. Tough times for all the clubs to work through.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Decided a change of avatar due to a great tackle by Zaine Cordy last week against the Eagles and azabob mentioning that tackle from Moz in the GF.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Feel like Corey is a big loss. Often credited by some of our better players as being a big influence.

Hard to know really though how big an impact each departure has.
    The loss of Morris tugs the heart strings but Corey is a big loss and we shouldn't underestimate what Russell has brought to the club.

It's going to be some hard yards over the next two years for a number of good footy people
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Ben Graham gone as well

The cruel cost of the coronavirus pandemic

The Western Bulldogs have made a series of agonising decisions affecting the future of its workforce, as it plans the way forward from the devastating impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

A drastic reduction in the football soft cap mandated across the competition, and the need to significantly reduce the Club’s cost base in administration, will force quality Bulldogs people to depart over the next few weeks and months.

Almost every department across the entire club has been impacted, in an unfortunate but necessary step to ensure the Bulldogs can withstand the financial pressures associated with the recovery from the pandemic and the ongoing economic uncertainty that exists.

“Over the past few weeks, we’ve had to make some heart-breaking decisions as we adjust our business to prepare for the future and the Club’s reset strategic priorities,” said Bulldogs CEO Ameet Bains.

“The pandemic has forced us to reduce our spending significantly across our administration and football departments, to allow us to progress in the best manner possible and to meet AFL requirements.

“Inevitably, this means we’ll need to move forward with a leaner workforce, and prioritise our operations. Some wonderfully talented, dedicated and passionate Bulldogs people will depart the Club over the coming weeks.

“With an awfully heavy heart, we thank them for their service and wish them well for their futures, knowing they will always be welcome back to our Club.”

Assistant coaches Joel Corey and Jordan Russell, development coach Dale Morris and football operations manager Ben Graham will depart the Club’s Football Department in 2020.

“Each of our departing staff have put their heart and soul into their roles,” said Bulldogs Director of Football, Chris Grant.

“It’s an incredibly difficult time for everyone. Football clubs are like families, and to farewell great people through no fault of their own is a painful thing to do.

“We wholeheartedly thank them for their tireless contribution to the Club, and they can rest assured they’ll be in our thoughts as we move into the future.”

Post Thanks / Like

Wow.. Is every club affected the same? I mean football operations manager is now a non-required role??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Wow.. Is every club affected the same? I mean football operations manager is now a non-required role??
    Every club's soft cap is being cut from $9.7 to $6.2 million. It's a massive cut and I suppose clubs will reduce costs in different ways.

Post Thanks / Like

Head of myotherapy has gone as well.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

These are just the profile positions. Many businesses across the world are doing the same thing. Businesses have to cut in order to survive at least until revenues stabilise again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Ben Graham has been with us since 2013 and will really be missed.
    He had the dual role of Football Operations Manager and VFL General Manager and he has a role of match days

We have a GM of Football operations and with no VFL likely next season he was probably in the wrong spot for 2021

16. Likes AshMac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Could the club call on volunteers. Retired supporters to help fill administration tasks there might be oldies out there that would love doing it. Could older players that have experience in coaching also volunteer time to fill a void. If the word was put out there would they come.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

18. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Could the club call on volunteers. Retired supporters to help fill administration tasks there might be oldies out there that would love doing it. Could older players that have experience in coaching also volunteer time to fill a void. If the word was put out there would they come.
    I'm sure people with appropriate skills and available time might come forward