Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  116
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Delisting and Retirements - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    So you're saying that just being indigenous isn't a green light for running an indigenous footballer mentoring program at a new footy club when your career is on the line?

Woah!
    If you are going to lead anything you really need to be able to show leadership.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

2. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    While Lewis Jetta, has at times been a sensational player. he has enormous alarm bells for me.

In 2012 at Sydney he was brilliant and I would have given him the Norm Smith, he dropped off the radar pretty quickly. His time at the Eagles started well but regressed quickly.

Their is nothing in his career that shows resilience. I would not see him as someone to spearhead an indigenous program.
    How about the fact that for all the thousands of talented Indigenous players (and yes we have also had a crack by drafting a number of them in the past), Lewis Jetta made it. What about the fact that he comes from a traumatic childhood that had him living on the streets of Perth with his brother Neville to getting himself to training for pretty much his entire teenage years with very little parental support and guidance to eventually making it onto an AFL list? You don't think that is resilient?

Furthermore, Lewis has already undertaken countless development programs and every off-season flies to the Top End to coach and guide Indigenous teenagers teaching them what they need to do to make it at AFL level. So he's already in an Indigenous development program. Here's a quote about his most recent program at Exmouth in W.A and I quote...'the presentation was relevant, powerful and for some of students, will be quite life changing.' Also, Lewis has never once stepped out of line off-field.

Lastly, Lewis has managed to play over 200 games of AFL football, not many Indigenous players get anywhere near this and he has fronted up at AFL level preseason after preseason in order to achieve that. That's another example of resilience. I'm not sure where you get your information from but to suggest that Lewis Jetta has shown no leadership and no resilience throughout his AFL career is a frankly wrong Euro-centric perspective. As for leadership amongst his community, he stood up for his Indigenous heritage with his own war dance in 2015 which gave him massive kudos amongst the Aboriginal community across the country. Lewis Jetta would be a perfect candidate. Indigenous street kid makes good in the AFL, so can you. The Aboriginal community loves Lewis and so will Jamarra. He is a perfect citizen and role model. Look he's not Adam Goodes but he doesn't have to write the framework for our Indigenous program others can provide feedback on that he just needs to be the face of it, support it and be consulted on it. Ultimately he also needs to be a playing mentor for Jamarra. In the end the respect Lewis commands as an Indigenous person coupled with his easy going manner will be the best asset for integrating Indigenous talent into our club.

Whether he can still play or not is up for debate, but if he was willing to come over for a year on base salary to support a program he has previous experience with and add something on-field as well I'd be on the phone to his manager today.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

The top 10 delisted players who deserve a second chance at AFL level

No longer needed at their current club, all capable of filling a role - these are the 10 best experienced AFL player needing a home in 2021.

It’s a brutal time of year, and this year even more so as clubs face further cuts to lists and salary caps.

As clubs move to name their post-2020 delistings, we take a look at the players we think would be worthy of another crack at the top level.

Who do you think deserves a second, third or even fourth chance? Have your say below.

HEATH SHAW

A no-brainer for virtually any club should he decide he wants to play on. He declared after departing the Giants that he wouldn’t be going to North Melbourne to play under his brother Rhyce, but now that his sibling is no longer at the helm, could it be back on the cards? Any club with a young list would benefit.

Rolling one-year deals are the go for players like Shaw, and he might prefer it that way, too. It worked beautifully for Luke Hodge at Brisbane and adding the wealth of experience – and laughs – that Shaw would bring would no doubt have a few clubs thinking.

WHICH CLUBS MIGHT SUIT: North Melbourne, Gold Coast

LEWIS JETTA

Two premierships, 202 games. Those numbers speak for themselves and experience counts for plenty. His pace has always been a key asset and at 31, he could yet have a few years left in him yet.

His value on and off the field is evident — could he be a replacement for the hole in the speed out of defence left by Adam Saad at Essendon? It could do worse.

WHICH CLUBS MIGHT SUIT: Essendon, Melbourne, North Melbourne

JACOB TOWNSEND

After just one year at Essendon, the Richmond premiership player and former Giant was this week bid farewell from Tullamarine, but finding a fourth home shouldn’t be out of the question. His best year was the Tigers’ 2017 flag, kicking 16 goals in just five games, but can be a handy extra contributor in front of goal when called upon. Played 12 games in 2020.

WHICH CLUBS MIGHT SUIT: Gold Coast

OSCAR McDONALD

The former Demon was let go this week after six seasons and 81 games, with the arrival of Steven May and Jake Lever in recent years pushing him down the pecking order.

But he’s hopeful of finding a lifeline after a call he admitted this week “wasn’t completely unexpected”, and at the right club, could serve well as an added presence in defence.

WHICH CLUBS MIGHT SUIT: Carlton, Essendon, Fremantle

MAJAK DAW

You don’t endure a recovery like that if you’re not serious about playing elite-level football. He’s shown an ability to adapt across all positions on the ground, including a promising stint in defence.

Has all the hallmarks of a key backman, but can also pinch-hit in the ruck. Would be a very handy asset for the likes of the Western Bulldogs or Sydney.

WHICH CLUBS MIGHT SUIT: Western Bulldogs, Sydney, Gold Coast

BILLY GOWERS

From Carlton to the Bulldogs and then let go at the ripe age of just 24. While he has been denied regular senior opportunity in recent times, he could well thrive in a forward line that is supported by more experience. He’s keen to play on after ending “on great terms” at Whitten Oval after a year struggling to find form, but if he can rediscover it, he has real potential.

WHICH CLUBS MIGHT SUIT: Hawthorn, Essendon

MATTHEW SCHARENBERG

Ravaged by injury, the former Pie – who is just 25 years old – has been robbed of opportunity. Keen to play on, he could be an asset for a team looking for an extra defender.

He will attempt to kickstart his AFL career back home in Adelaide, but the likes of the Western Bulldogs or even Carlton could also be on the lookout for a player such as Scharenberg.

WHICH CLUBS MIGHT SUIT: Adelaide, Port Adelaide

MARTIN GLEESON

Let go by the Bombers this week, there had been hope that the defender could be in line for a contract extension for 2021. The Bombers have told Gleeson and teammate Dylan Clarke that the intention is for them to be reinstated on the rookie list should they be available for the AFL rookie draft, and rightly so. After a breakout 2017, Gleeson missed all of 2018 due to a foot injury and played 13 games in 2020. Could be a handy asset for a number of teams.

WHICH CLUBS MIGHT SUIT: Essendon, Carlton

MASON WOOD

The delisted former Roos forward is determined to win a spot on an AFL list after he was one of a raft of Kangaroos players let go last month. His running is a key asset and he told AFL.com.au this week that he was working hard physically in an effort to at least get a gig training with a club in the pre-season.

As clubs wait to learn what lists will look like, Wood declared he had “a point to prove”, but would pursue a VFL career if he isn’t taken at the top level. But tall forwards who are also capable in defence don’t grow on trees, meaning there could be a few potential suitors once list sizes are confirmed.

WHICH CLUBS MIGHT SUIT: Sydney, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide

RILEY KNIGHT

At just 25, Knight was delisted by the Crows last month. He took his leadership to a new level in 2020 as he recovered from an Achilles injury, mentoring young midfielders. He managed just one game in what has been a rollercoaster few years, but with more opportunity could recapture the game that is capable of catching eyes.

WHICH CLUBS MIGHT SUIT: Hawthorn, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Essendon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    How about the fact that for all the thousands of talented Indigenous players (and yes we have also had a crack by drafting a number of them in the past), Lewis Jetta made it. What about the fact that he comes from a traumatic childhood that had him living on the streets of Perth with his brother Neville to getting himself to training for pretty much his entire teenage years with very little parental support and guidance to eventually making it onto an AFL list? You don't think that is resilient?

Furthermore, Lewis has already undertaken countless development programs and every off-season flies to the Top End to coach and guide Indigenous teenagers teaching them what they need to do to make it at AFL level. So he's already in an Indigenous development program. Here's a quote about his most recent program at Exmouth in W.A and I quote...'the presentation was relevant, powerful and for some of students, will be quite life changing.' Also, Lewis has never once stepped out of line off-field.

Lastly, Lewis has managed to play over 200 games of AFL football, not many Indigenous players get anywhere near this and he has fronted up at AFL level preseason after preseason in order to achieve that. That's another example of resilience. I'm not sure where you get your information from but to suggest that Lewis Jetta has shown no leadership and no resilience throughout his AFL career is a frankly wrong Euro-centric perspective. As for leadership amongst his community, he stood up for his Indigenous heritage with his own war dance in 2015 which gave him massive kudos amongst the Aboriginal community across the country. Lewis Jetta would be a perfect candidate. Indigenous street kid makes good in the AFL, so can you. The Aboriginal community loves Lewis and so will Jamarra. He is a perfect citizen and role model. Look he's not Adam Goodes but he doesn't have to write the framework for our Indigenous program others can provide feedback on that he just needs to be the face of it, support it and be consulted on it. Ultimately he also needs to be a playing mentor for Jamarra. In the end the respect Lewis commands as an Indigenous person coupled with his easy going manner will be the best asset for integrating Indigenous talent into our club.

Whether he can still play or not is up for debate, but if he was willing to come over for a year on base salary to support a program he has previous experience with and add something on-field as well I'd be on the phone to his manager today.
    Thanks for taking the trouble to provide that.

It does give me an entirely different perspective. I question why it is not more widely known.

Is that an issue with the media not providing that level of detail.

My comments on Lewis, were entirely from a football perspective, as I feel that he has seriously underperformed since 2012.

While he has played a relatively long career, he has just not come close to what he appeared capable of in 2012. After watching his performance throughout that season and Grand Final effort I felt he could be a top 10 player in the comp.

I concede my knowledge of his background is lacking and I can only see the situation from what I have known and observed.

I stand corrected.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Is this fair dinkum? Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Sydney Stack could be a delisting - could be worth looking at.

Post Thanks / Like

It does give me an entirely different perspective. I question why it is not more widely known.

My comments on Lewis, were entirely from a football perspective, as I feel that he has seriously underperformed since 2012.

While he has played a relatively long career, he has just not come close to what he appeared capable of in 2012. After watching his performance throughout that season and Grand Final effort I felt he could be a top 10 player in the comp.

I concede my knowledge of his background is lacking and I can only see the situation from what I have known and observed.

I stand corrected.
    We must view any potential program from an Indigenous perspective.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

8. Thanks Bulldog Joe, Raw Toast thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a brilliant post.
    I had heard some things about Lewis overcoming adversity but didn't realise the scope of it until you laid it all out, cheers.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

10. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that. Amazing post.

It pales in comparison, but some might also remember he kicked 19 points before he finally kicked a goal. Despite the horror run he was on (that could have really destroyed him) I remember he never stopped backing himself in. That in itself takes some stones.

https://youtu.be/6EFcEBYQA0c

12. Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I stand corrected.
    One suspects because the recent, and frankly on-going instances of Indigenous players daring to use their platform to voice anything meaningful have neither ended well nor covered the industry in glory.

Why wouldn't First Nations players simply prefer to fly under the radar rather than choosing to be targets for the worst elements in the game? It's tragic, wilfully short-sighted and demands nothing short of serious, sincere efforts at all levels of the industry to remedy.

Until then we'll have to make-do with self-serving stunts like the AFEL's 'Free the Flag' initiative because performative action is more palatable than real action and y'know MERCH.

It'll be a shame and a lost opportunity if we're unable to surround Jamarra with quality people driving a quality program. I hope PG's still chasing this as diligently as he was a year or two back.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

We must view any potential program from an Indigenous perspective.
    Terrific post 1eye, thankyou.

Please send it to the Club and get them on board.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    One suspects because the recent, and frankly on-going instances of Indigenous players daring to use their platform to voice anything meaningful have neither ended well nor covered the industry in glory.

Why wouldn't First Nations players simply prefer to fly under the radar rather than choosing to be targets for the worst elements in the game? It's tragic, wilfully short-sighted and demands nothing short of serious, sincere efforts at all levels of the industry to remedy.

Until then we'll have to make-do with self-serving stunts like the AFEL's 'Free the Flag' initiative because performative action is more palatable than real action and y'know MERCH.

It'll be a shame and a lost opportunity if we're unable to surround Jamarra with quality people driving a quality program. I hope PG's still chasing this as diligently as he was a year or two back.
    Totally agree. It seems long overdue anyway, but if JUH is the generational talent everybody expects him to be then we should be leaving no stone unturned.

Essendon coming for Dunkley should be viewed as a shot across the bows. They, in particular, will definitely be coming hard for Bombers supporting JUH (probably already are in his ear).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Terrific post 1eye, thankyou.

Please send it to the Club and get them on board.
    I've sent it to the club and have received a response that it is being forwarded 'upstairs'. Will update you all if I get a response! I'm really keen to look after Jamarra. Man he is a talent, I really want a smooth transition for him and ultimately keep him a one club player. We have done all the hard work with him, it would be a shame if we neglect this one, last critical aspect.

Post Thanks / Like

I've sent it to the club and have received a response that it is being forwarded 'upstairs'. Will update you all if I get a response!
    Cheers, nothing to lose, everything to gain.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

18. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kudos to 1eyedog & Bulldog Joe. Well played.

I mentioned a month or two back about bringing in Jetta for a season or two. If we keep Hayes I doubt we would.

I also don't mind Scharenberg from the list posted by Axeman. He has sure had his bad luck with injuries but he is a good player. I think his untimely injury in 2018 may have cost Collingwood the Grand Final. He had a great year.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

20. Likes GVGjr, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I stand corrected.
    This could be the most adult conversation I've read on the internet.
    I forgot what they looked like. Great discussion really interesting read.

22. Thanks Bulldog Joe thanked for this post