Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  116
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Delists, Retirements - 2020

Even with reduced list sizes if they eventuate North are going to be looking at filling about 8 spots. There is no way you can draft 8 kids off the back of no underage season and not completely tank your list. Maybe grab a couple of guys that have managed to play interstate, and a couple of guys you really rate that haven't played, but beyond that it's real hit and miss.

However, good opportunity to hit up the free agent club and finally become a "destination club" of sorts. Fringe guys at other clubs must be feeling super vulnerable, and North could fill out their list with guys who have shown they can perform at AFL level and want the security of decent contract. Looking at our list they could target someone who hasn't had much of a look in, like Schache or either Young. Or they could target someone like Lipinski or McLean (less likely now). Kick start the rebuild by getting guys in who have or are about to take the next step, or have good ceilings, and offer them now the opportunity to secure their AFL future. I know it's not ideal and none of the guys I have mentioned are sure fire things but they are better options than pick 64 in a draft of kids that have been locked inside for 6 months.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Even with reduced list sizes if they eventuate North are going to be looking at filling about 8 spots. There is no way you can draft 8 kids off the back of no underage season and not completely tank your list. Maybe grab a couple of guys that have managed to play interstate, and a couple of guys you really rate that haven't played, but beyond that it's real hit and miss.

However, good opportunity to hit up the free agent club and finally become a "destination club" of sorts. Fringe guys at other clubs must be feeling super vulnerable, and North could fill out their list with guys who have shown they can perform at AFL level and want the security of decent contract. Looking at our list they could target someone who hasn't had much of a look in, like Schache or either Young. Or they could target someone like Lipinski or McLean (less likely now). Kick start the rebuild by getting guys in who have or are about to take the next step, or have good ceilings, and offer them now the opportunity to secure their AFL future. I know it's not ideal and none of the guys I have mentioned are sure fire things but they are better options than pick 64 in a draft of kids that have been locked inside for 6 months.
    If the lists are cut back to 35 there are going to be quite a lot of players up for grabs that clubs wouldn't have ordinarily cut. Even if there is one player per team in this boat, that is quite a sizeable list to select from.

This year could turn out to be the ultimate Moneyball year and the perfect time to cut deep for the lower table teams.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    If the lists are cut back to 35 there are going to be quite a lot of players up for grabs that clubs wouldn't have ordinarily cut. Even if there is one player per team in this boat, that is quite a sizeable list to select from.

This year could turn out to be the ultimate Moneyball year and the perfect time to cut deep for the lower table teams.
    This is the point I was trying to make (unsure if I managed to actually make it though). If we see reduced lists, which seems probably in some form, the clubs that aren't just scrambling to cut the required amount of players should be able to grab some talent on the cheap.

Even if the player they want isn't going to be delisted, from the other clubs pov if they let a fringe guy go who they would otherwise keep it means one less player to delist. I mean using us an example if we traded say Lipinski it might mean we don't have to cut Lachie Young who we clearly rate (ignore positions and list balance and all that, its an example).
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

4. Likes The Adelaide Connection, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are going to be some brutal cuts with the list size changes, and plenty of good options for redrafting, but I have always liked Mason Wood
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I think the cull from each club is going to result in a lot of OK players not getting a spot and a few almost OK players going to get a spot at best.

Not sure I see a huge trade period coming up, because every player who is cut has very limited opportunities on other lists. There might be one or two moneyball (whatever that bastardised term means now) selections from clubs, the reality is the AFL is going to turn into a massive graveyard.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post

I don't think lists will be cut back that far (38 more likely) but you're right that if clubs open up enough spots on their own list there will be plenty of opportunities to add players from other clubs.

I can see that potentially clubs will delist some players with the view of redrafting them only to have another clubs select them
    A lot of the delisted players will also be very reasonable with their asking price as well if they can secure another contract for a year or two
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    There are going to be some brutal cuts with the list size changes, and plenty of good options for redrafting, but I have always liked Mason Wood
    For sure, there is going to be a surplus of players available if any club wants to add some experienced players

Post Thanks / Like

Essendon

McKernan out

Townsend expected to join him

from Foxsports
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

10. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Essendon

McKernan out

Townsend expected to join him

from Foxsports
    McKernan has been a decent player for them.
    Townsend has struggled to make an impact

They should let go of a number of player. I'm always amazed that they attract as many players wanting to go there

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

They should let go of a number of player. I'm always amazed that they attract as many players wanting to go there
    The spongy floor?

13. Likes The Adelaide Connection, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Got the Best salesman in the league . Probably came from a used car dealership.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Carlton have delisted Ben Silvagni, along with Hugh Goddard, Darcy Lang and Finbar O'Dwyer
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Carlton have delisted Ben Silvagni, along with Hugh Goddard, Darcy Lang and Finbar O'Dwyer
    Sad to see Finbar go .. what a name !
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Sad for Hugh - promising kid ruined by injury
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Melbourne have delisted, Josh Wagner, Corey Wagner and Kyle Dunkley
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.