Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  51
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Mitch Wallis - 150 Games

Many of us thought he wasn't even in best 22, but Mitch has proven he is a tough competitor, and real team man prepared to sacrifice his own footy for the sake of the team.

Leading our goal kicking this year, he has been very good.

All the best to Mitch in game 150.

Last edited by bornadog; 15-09-2020 at 01:15 PM. Reason: typo
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Congratulations Mitch Wallis - 150 Games

Really happy for Mitch with his injury history to get to 150 games. A fine effort. Both him and Libba have been critical to our success this year. Hoping they get through unscathed and especially Mitch gets to play finals this year.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

3. Likes WBFC4FFC, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Really happy for Mitch with his injury history to get to 150 games. A fine effort. Both him and Libba have been critical to our success this year. Hoping they get through unscathed and especially Mitch gets to play finals this year.
    Libba sitting on 146 games, so won't be long for his 150. Hopefully this year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes 1eyedog, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Libba sitting on 146 games, so won't be long for his 150. Hopefully this year.
    Yep will play his 150 in the GF.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations to Mitch.

Love him as a player and as a representative of the club more generally.

He's shown that there is still room in the game for a player that may not necessarily have the leg speed, but is smart, hard working, creates space for his team mates, and takes his opportunities. He's set a great example to his peers, in that he has adapted to a new role when a lesser character may well have dropped their bundle at getting pushed out of the mids rotation, and could have taken an opportunity to be a mid elsewhere.

Hope he can get a premiership after missing out in '16.

8. Likes Topdog, WBFC4FFC, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really hope we win this week (and he gets through unscathed) so Mitch can play another finals series.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

10. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Mitch. Hope he is our Vice Captain. I was one of doubters-happy to be proven wrong. A great clubman.

12. Likes WBFC4FFC, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Yep will play his 150 in the GF.
    Unless he has a rest it will be the prelim.

14. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If Mitch was to kick 2 goals this weekend and end up on 25, that is around the equivalent of 40 goals in a full length season with 20 minute quarters. Even more impressive when you consider how low scoring and defensive most games are.

Old Dog's new tricks: Surprise spearhead's forward thinking

EVEN Mitch Wallis admits he would have been long odds to be the Western Bulldogs' leading goalkicker this season.

Aaron Naughton looked set to prosper as one of the competition's best young key forwards and Josh Bruce was brought into the club on a long-term deal. Plus, Wallis has been a midfielder for his whole life, not just at AFL level.

But with injury and form halting Naughton (13 goals) and Bruce's (12) respective charges, it has been Wallis who has stepped up around goal, booting 23 from 16 games in one of the biggest positional transformations across the competition.

"I didn't probably expect it to play out the way it did way back in February when the season started to kick off, but I'm really happy with some of the strides I've made as a forward. I consider myself as a forward now," Wallis told AFL.com.au.

"In years to come I'm probably going to stay there I think. Under (forwards coach) Ash Hansen's tutelage, and 'Bevo' (Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge), learning the different patterns and craft of a forward line player has been really exciting and enjoyable and a bit of a fresher look on footy."

Wallis' consistency has been central to the Bulldogs' push towards the finals. He has kicked goals in all bar four games, and kicked three or more on four occasions. Playing as a small forward, he has kicked as many goals as West Coast's Liam Ryan, and one fewer than Sydney star Tom Papley.

The 27-year-old said getting his mind around not being a midfielder – and valuing his games and impact – was an adjustment that took some time.

"If you're a midfielder you're a born and bred midfielder and any time you're not in there you're waiting to get back in there. You're resting forward or back or whatever it is," he said.

"When the switch flicked in my head to really dedicate my time as a forward and to change my thinking (from) 'No, it's not when you get back in the midfield', it's starting there and making the most of it and being really influential as a forward line player. When I made that shift in my head it made it a lot easier.

"I do miss the midfield days, but you do have to really analyse how you can impact a game if you're not touching the ball 20 times as a forward any more. You just have to make the most of it when you do.

"As a forward line player you're sometimes reliant upon how your team's going to really have an impact. You kick the goals, which is put up in lights, but it's not as easy as people think or assume."

The Dogs will need Wallis to remain busy on Sunday night, with Beveridge's men able to sew up a finals spot with a win over Fremantle in Cairns.

16. Thanks 1eyedog, bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Many of us thought he wasn't even in best 22
    GUILTY AS CHARGED.

Well done Mitch!! You absolutely deserve it.

18. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great timing for a milestone going into a game in which we will need to be on

I like the way Bevo uses our group to inspire the players

Mitch is a bit of an inspiration, he's been written off by many but has found a way to re-invent himself and thrive.

20. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Team first player who never drops his head and bleeds for the jumper. We need more of his type.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

22. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Unless he has a rest it will be the prelim.
    That will do just fine.

24. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Mitch! You have had a great 2020 season and been our most affective forward. Hope we can get the job done Sunday so we can have a crack at the flag.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations to Mitch. He was given number 3 for a reason - heart and soul player.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

27. Likes 1eyedog, Eastdog liked this post