Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  51
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Congratulations Mitch Wallis - 150 Games

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I think not winning the rising star is more encouraging than winning it.
    The Bont came second to Lewis Taylor in 2014!

Griff missed-out to because he was deemed not to have played enough games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WBFC4FFC View Post
    The Bont came second to Lewis Taylor in 2014!

Griff missed-out to because he was deemed not to have played enough games.
    Libba wasn't even nominated and he had a great first year

Rising Star Years Statistical Rankings
    5th among rising stars in Total Handballs in 2011 5th among rising stars in Total Tackles in 2011
    4th among rising stars in Total Contested Possessions in 2011 4th among rising stars in Total Clearances in 2011
    1st among rising stars in Handballs Per Game in 2011 2nd among rising stars in Tackles Per Game in 2011
    2nd among rising stars in Contested Possessions Per Game in 2011 2nd among rising stars in Clearances Per Game in 2011

Caleb Daniel should have won his year as well.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Face to Face interview with Mitch Willis by Brad Johnson tonight on Fox Footy at 6:30pm and replayed at 8:30pm.

6. Thanks bornadog, josie thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC, Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Face to Face interview with Mitch Willis by Brad Johnson tonight on Fox Footy at 6:30pm and replayed at 8:30pm.
    I've seen some snippets of this, it's a very confronting interview. Mitch is a wonderful person.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He’s possibly the best spoken footballer I’ve ever come across. Comes across as such an articulate, professional, loving and competitive guy. Would be a mile better than half the boof heads in the media.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    He’s possibly the best spoken footballer I’ve ever come across. Comes across as such an articulate, professional, loving and competitive guy. Would be a mile better than half the boof heads in the media.
    I wonder whether he will consider coaching?

11. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What a lovely dude.

Looking like he'll be on the list next year which I'm absolutely fine with. He's excellent depth, will play whichever role wanted of him.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

13. Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A recurring theme that has emerged throughout the season has been the need to add a tougher and more defensive element to our midfield. The name William Drew has been mentioned throughout discussions but I wonder whether we need to look within?

Wallis was originally drafted as a midfielder and understandably fell behind a talented queue. He was forced to reinvent himself and to his credit did a formidable job as a forward. He now finds himself on the outer again.

Is it time to reinvent Wallis as the defensive midfielder we need? If you look at the modern midfielders, they tend to be bigger bodied. Wallis brings all the attributes we need to become a defensive midfielder that has the ability to sit on dangerous players through our midfield. He is team orientated, determined, persistent, resilient, selfless, tough etc.

It worked for Tony Liberatore and extended his career. Could it work for Mitch? Thoughts?

15. Likes GVGjr, boydogs, Dancin' Douggy, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Swoop, there is no doubt Wallis has all the attributes you have listed but to me he just the leg speed and the kicking skills that could make him into a defensive minded midfielder as you have suggested. The game moves so much quicker than when Tony Liberatore played.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    A recurring theme that has emerged throughout the season has been the need to add a tougher and more defensive element to our midfield. The name William Drew has been mentioned throughout discussions but I wonder whether we need to look within?

Wallis was originally drafted as a midfielder and understandably fell behind a talented queue. He was forced to reinvent himself and to his credit did a formidable job as a forward. He now finds himself on the outer again.

Is it time to reinvent Wallis as the defensive midfielder we need? If you look at the modern midfielders, they tend to be bigger bodied. Wallis brings all the attributes we need to become a defensive midfielder that has the ability to sit on dangerous players through our midfield. He is team orientated, determined, persistent, resilient, selfless, tough etc.

It worked for Tony Liberatore and extended his career. Could it work for Mitch? Thoughts?
    That used to be Mitch's role, defensive side of the stoppage. Not sure he's up to it now but peak Wallis is what we're missing
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

In 2016 Wallis was ranked elite by Champion Data as a midfielder. His hands were first rate, kicking was better than passable. His tackling was also outstanding.

I have very little doubt he could play a stopping role, and with the right positioning he wouldn't get too burned on the spread. However, that sort of role just isn't on the cards for us because we already have three of our major five or six mids who have all proven themselves as capable in playing the role but very rarely get called on to do so.

Mitch can always have a spot on our list as depth as long as his body holds up. But a bit like Lippa, his value elsewhere to a team with a different mix would be greater than it is with us and I wouldn't begrudge him a move elsewhere.

People forget how good his hands were, how good his tackling was and how much he could run. He's no slower than Mundy, rather, he just hasn't had the opportunities Mundy's had since breaking his leg and being forced to play second fiddle roles to more credentialed players.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    In 2016 Wallis was ranked elite by Champion Data as a midfielder. His hands were first rate, kicking was better than passable. His tackling was also outstanding.

I have very little doubt he could play a stopping role, and with the right positioning he wouldn't get too burned on the spread. However, that sort of role just isn't on the cards for us because we already have three of our major five or six mids who have all proven themselves as capable in playing the role but very rarely get called on to do so.

Mitch can always have a spot on our list as depth as long as his body holds up. But a bit like Lippa, his value elsewhere to a team with a different mix would be greater than it is with us and I wouldn't begrudge him a move elsewhere.

People forget how good his hands were, how good his tackling was and how much he could run. He's no slower than Mundy, rather, he just hasn't had the opportunities Mundy's had since breaking his leg and being forced to play second fiddle roles to more credentialed players.
    Hopefully our philosophy changes and Mitch and Toby get that opportunity to put their hand up.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I love Mitch & what he brings to the club. I think of resilience, tough, heart & soul, team orientated leader when I think of Wal. I'm amazed he's still with us but I guess that would downplay his love for the club.
    I have little doubt that Wal has the attributes to convert back to the role swoop has indicated. The concern is whether Bevo wants that type of role player in the team. I think its best for Wal if we cut him lose. His leadership is valuable & would be very useful for another side by playing in a senior team & leading on ground as well. We won't give him that opportunity so we need to do whats best for him & ourselves as well. We would free up some coin from our end too.

21. Likes GVGjr, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    I love Mitch & what he brings to the club. I think of resilience, tough, heart & soul, team orientated leader when I think of Wal. I'm amazed he's still with us but I guess that would downplay his love for the club.
    I have little doubt that Wal has the attributes to convert back to the role swoop has indicated. The concern is whether Bevo wants that type of role player in the team. I think its best for Wal if we cut him lose. His leadership is valuable & would be very useful for another side by playing in a senior team & leading on ground as well. We won't give him that opportunity so we need to do whats best for him & ourselves as well. We would free up some coin from our end too.
    I doubt Wally would be on anything beyond basic.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured