Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  33

View Poll Results: Can we win the flag this year (why not us?)

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 50.00%
  • No

21 50.00%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can we win the flag this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny the snakeman View Post
    I'd say we'll be playing the eagles here in perth so im afraid thats where it will end.
    Are you expecting Collingwood to beat Port?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    You're supposed to be one of the positive ones!
    I know right - that's what made me laugh!

I think we are OK but I doubt any of the top sides are losing much sleep over playing us.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Voted No. If we win this week realistically semi finals I think we can get but I could be proven wrong.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I voted 'NO'. I am somehow in the negative minority.

I suspect the Melbourne lockdown is the one and only explanation and all you 'YES VOTERS' have actually lost your minds...or at the very least your marbles.

Of the current top 4:

- Port beat us.
    - Brisbane beat us.
    - Geelong beat us.
    - Richmond beat us.

Collingwood also beat us. So did the Saints (who might make it).

We beat WC by a kick - a result seemingly dismissed by many posters so 'depleted' was their line up.

So - somehow we are going to win 4 in a row playing against 7 other teams who we have a combined record of 1-6 against?

You people are plain loco!
    That is just the past.

Life is lived in the future.

Anything is possible in the future until the event occurs and becomes history.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

5. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s most likely the saints we will play if we make it. Whilst they’re the weakest top 8 side I wouldn’t be too confident knowing how our games typically go against them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    That is just the past.

Life is lived in the future.

Anything is possible in the future until the event occurs and becomes history.
    ummm. I feel like you have skipped over something...Life is lived in the PRESENT!!!

The future is for dreamers and wannabees!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Imo as a gut feel the way we play and approach games we are a 8/10 chance to beat the really shit teams, 7/10 to beat the mediocre teams and 4/10 to beat the good teams. It means we are always a reasonable chance against any opponent, but I'd rate basically every team we might face in the 8 as at least a "good" team comparatively so short of a 2016 style against all odds run no chance.

I'm also worried that we haven't really proven that we can't be bullied into submission as we were in the final last year and rounds 1 and 2 this year, we have been much improved since then but i don't think we have faced that kind of heat since those few games (I'm not counting the GWS game as they turned the dial too far towards antagonising us and forgot to turn up to play). Libba definitely helps alot in this regard but I'm still not sure i trust the side not to wilt.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

ummm. I feel like you have skipped over something...Life is lived in the PRESENT!!!

If we don't have dreams we don't have anything.

Go Dogs!
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

The present passes quickly. When I finish this post I will have gone past the present of when i started.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    The present passes quickly. When I finish this post I will have gone past the present of when i started.
    There is nothing but the present.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Although we finished 7th in '16 - we had beaten a number of finals teams during that season (Syd, WCE, Adel, North), and had run Hawthorn to a few points - so we were more 'proven' against good teams that year.

This year, we have only beaten West Coast in terms of teams above us, and have beaten all of the teams below us except for Carlton. I'd started the year having a prelim as the pass mark. Now I'd say we are realistically 6th-9th sort of territory. But we are healthy, and in recent times picking a more settled side...so we may surprise.
    We had such horrendous continuity in 2016, nothing from the first few rounds suggested to me we weren't genuinely a top four side. We proved we were a bit better than that in the end. And we did so emphatically.

I said after the Geelong loss that I reckon we're a week two or three of the finals side, should we make it. Think we've certainly proved we're as some sides in the eight, but not all of them.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we are OK but I doubt any of the top sides are losing much sleep over playing us.
    The top sides would be thinking a) are they going to bring their effort/ intensity across the ground/ game for four quarters and b) have they become more organised defencively?

Put in a disciplined four quarter showing Sunday night and I reckon a few clubs will at least wake up a touch unnerved and with a funny taste in their mouths.....
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

If we are good enough to make it, I don't think Richmond or Port would be too keen on playing us with a fit and in form Naughton. Likewise Brisbane without Andrews, and Naughton was only playing his first game back when we last played them and was very rusty.

When we played Richmond, Port and Brisbane we had a borderline dysfunctional forward line and had a terrible conversion rate of I50's to scores/goals. Over the last 5 rounds since the Adelaide game, we are top 2 in the comp for this measure, with Naughton a big part of that improvement. We know he's a threat in the air but he is also incredibly competitive when the ball hits the deck.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

15. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Beat Freo and make the finals, then take it one week at a time

17. Likes mjp, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Beat Freo and make the finals, then take it one week at a time
    Yep good attitude.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"