Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The nostalgia series - four years ago today, our final against the Hawks

Four years ago today, we continued our amazing march to the finals. Sandwiched in between the stunning win in Perth and the emotion of the preliminary final, we perhaps forget that we were underdogs, coming up against the Three-Peaters, one of the best sides ever, filled with seasoned campaigners.Many wondered if we'd played our Grand Final against the Eagles and would suffer a let down.

Only two Footscray/Western Bulldogs teams had played in front of crowds bigger than this: the 54 premiers, and the 61 grand finalists. What better omen could we have had that history was about to be made. There was a brawl (we won) and the dawning realisation that these guys wanted a flag more badly than any other team I've seen. My blog on that win:

http://www.bulldogtragician.com/the-.../2016-finals/2
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

2. Thanks bornadog, merantau, Twodogs, Dancin' Douggy thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak, Eastdog, 1eyedog, The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The nostalgia series - four years ago today, our final against the Hawks

When the Hawks shot out to around a 4 goal lead, I said to the crew I was with that it was over and I wanted to leave.

Not my proudest moment.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

We absolutely slaughtered the Hawks that night. Let them get a few cheapies in the last when it was all over.

At the end of the match started making my way down with a few mates, after the players had left the ground. Majority of Hawks fans had already gone. All of a sudden we heard a mighty roar and thought what is happening so we turned back up the steps and all the fans who were still there were singing the song along with the players who were projected onto the big screen.

It was a great feeling knowing we were in the prelim.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes merantau, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrived at this game at about 3:30 in the afternoon with my old man....to stand in the line outside the MCC members and dash in to get the best spot on the wing, level 2. Walking through the CBD before hand with the bulldogs scarf accompanying the suit, I had quite a few random people say "go the dogs" or other comments about how they hoped we beat the hawks. Felt like everyone neutral was very much behind us/anti-Hawthorn. I had been to the Cats/Hawks game the week before, with Dogs scarf on, and people seemed to be with us and had loved the Eagles victory the night before.

Felt absolutely sick with nerves in the lead up to the game and didn't enjoy dinner in the long room beforehand and could barely even have a beer (which I can assure you is not normal!). I was just dreading the scenario of once again not being able to beat a team like Hawthorn in a final....they after all, are winners - and we are (were) not.

But the funny thing during the game, was that even when we were 4 goals down, it felt like we were playing pretty well but just not having a lot of luck and Hawthorn were just really really efficient.

The second half of the second quarter when we got rolling, it felt like we were just about to roll over them - but half time came too soon. But to come out and completely dominate the 3rd quarter was bliss.

After the game, soaked up the win in the long room with many pots until they closed, and the morning after, my wife was quick to suggest that I just book a flight to Sydney for the next week...even her as a cats supporter was swept up in it!

7. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Arrived at this game at about 3:30 in the afternoon with my old man....to stand in the line outside the MCC members and dash in to get the best spot on the wing, level 2. Walking through the CBD before hand with the bulldogs scarf accompanying the suit, I had quite a few random people say "go the dogs" or other comments about how they hoped we beat the hawks. Felt like everyone neutral was very much behind us/anti-Hawthorn. I had been to the Cats/Hawks game the week before, with Dogs scarf on, and people seemed to be with us and had loved the Eagles victory the night before.

Felt absolutely sick with nerves in the lead up to the game and didn't enjoy dinner in the long room beforehand and could barely even have a beer (which I can assure you is not normal!). I was just dreading the scenario of once again not being able to beat a team like Hawthorn in a final....they after all, are winners - and we are (were) not.

But the funny thing during the game, was that even when we were 4 goals down, it felt like we were playing pretty well but just not having a lot of luck and Hawthorn were just really really efficient.

The second half of the second quarter when we got rolling, it felt like we were just about to roll over them - but half time came too soon. But to come out and completely dominate the 3rd quarter was bliss.

After the game, soaked up the win in the long room with many pots until they closed, and the morning after, my wife was quick to suggest that I just book a flight to Sydney for the next week...even her as a cats supporter was swept up in it!
    Arranging travel plans for the prelim in the days following the semi final was good fun.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Four years ago today, we continued our amazing march to the finals. Sandwiched in between the stunning win in Perth and the emotion of the preliminary final, we perhaps forget that we were underdogs, coming up against the Three-Peaters, one of the best sides ever, filled with seasoned campaigners.Many wondered if we'd played our Grand Final against the Eagles and would suffer a let down.

Only two Footscray/Western Bulldogs teams had played in front of crowds bigger than this: the 54 premiers, and the 61 grand finalists. What better omen could we have had that history was about to be made. There was a brawl (we won) and the dawning realisation that these guys wanted a flag more badly than any other team I've seen. My blog on that win:

http://www.bulldogtragician.com/the-.../2016-finals/2
    Marvellous writing. Really enjoyed it BT.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

10. Thanks The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched this game in Lombok on Australia+ TV. We get 5 live games a round during the season which is pretty damn good. Free-to-Air too!
    So, like many, I couldn't believe our early misses and was gutted at how easily they scored. But gradually the worm turned and the second half was sheer bliss!
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Went to this game. Was sitting on Level 1 in the Olympic stand. Great night that was. Everyone wanted us to win. The Hawks started off well but we came back into the game strongly and ran over the top of them in the end.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

13. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Marvellous writing. Really enjoyed it BT.
    Trag might have her own preferred seller, but if you liked the writing of the blog you should get the book!!

https://www.booktopia.com.au/the-mig...863959254.html

15. Thanks The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Trag might have her own preferred seller, but if you liked the writing of the blog you should get the book!!

https://www.booktopia.com.au/the-mig...863959254.html
    I haven't been able to read my copy yet. Every time I pick it up and start reading I'm balling my eyes out after two pages.*

*True story.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

17. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That Bont mark on Hodge was crazy satisfying. Also Stringers goal in the third where he kicked it like he was jumping onto a horse was right in front of us and incredible. Also i had a kransky that night that produced the biggest burp of my life. Good times.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

19. Likes Twodogs, jeemak, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    That Bont mark on Hodge was crazy satisfying. Also Stringers goal in the third where he kicked it like he was jumping onto a horse was right in front of us and incredible. Also i had a kransky that night that produced the biggest burp of my life. Good times.
    Biggest burp? That's a fair effort.

Post Thanks / Like

What a great night. The walk to the ‘G from Fed Square (after some inspiring speeches by Gordon and others), our tribe singing sons of the west & cheering all the way. It was a surreal feeling-I was surprised how many dogs fans there were.

Echoing Twodogs - I also highly recommend Tragicians book The Mighty West. A great read for all true blue RWB supporters. (My hubby and I still refer to Bailey Dale as Daley Bale-sorry if our memories are slightly awry).

22. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Biggest burp? That's a fair effort.
    You think about all the burps he's probably done over the journey, truly momentous. But if there's anything that'll do it it's a kransky washed down with something fizzy.

For a moment you'd have felt like the guy who used to let a long scream in the outer at Waverley Park and get a clap for it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    You think about all the burps he's probably done over the journey, truly momentous. But if there's anything that'll do it it's a kransky washed down with something fizzy.

For a moment you'd have felt like the guy who used to let a long scream in the outer at Waverley Park and get a clap for it.
    I burped on the Albert Park tram once during GP week and people walking on the street heard it over the F1 cars.

25. Likes jeemak liked this post