Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  7
    Post Thanks / Like

Johannisen speaks up, for his daughter

See https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/joh...17-p55wmz.html

Dunno if getting fatherhood or any other tips from Libba is a good idea.

Johannisen speaks up, for his daughter
    Daniel ChernyMonday, Sep 21

For years, Jason Johannisen didn't want to say anything. He'd been born in the dying days of apartheid-era South Africa, but hadn't experienced racism first hand. Having moved with parents Eldrid and Sonya to Western Australia when he was just seven, Johannisen considered himself one of the lucky ones.

But then George Floyd was killed, the Black Lives Matter movement catapulted into worldwide consciousness, and Johannisen, softly spoken and gentle, felt it was the right time to speak up.

He posted a photo on Instagram of the entire Western Bulldogs squad taking a knee at Whitten Oval, with a detailed caption explaining that he had been moved to publicly voice his beliefs.

"Personally I haven't experienced any racism growing up. I felt at times it wasn't really my position to stand up and use my platform because I felt like I didn't want to say the wrong thing or didn't quite understand fully the issues," Johannisen said during the week, three months on from his social media post.

"But looking back at it, my parents grew up in the apartheid days in South Africa, and I guess all we want is to move forward and hopefully as a society we can grow. I think the way for growth is probably just educating everyone and just understanding what people have gone through."

Then Johannisen saw the way teammate Lin Jong was racially vilified online. Johannisen didn't want to sit by idly. He was one of the initial 100 signatories to an open letter sent to the Attorney-General calling for action to stamp out racism on social media.

"There's always that 1 per cent that just don't get or just don't care. Which is frustrating. Especially on social media and stuff like that, because people just don't care about social abuse and the effects it has on people. It's an ongoing issue but I do feel like it's moving forward, slowly," Johannisen said.

Johannisen attributes part of his desire to make a difference to the fact he is now a father. His partner Logan gave birth to daughter Lola last November, and Johannisen wants a better world for his little girl.

"You see all the abuse that some people have copped over the recent years, and you just don't what that to happen to your daughter. You want a life where your daughter doesn't have to worry about being abused online, or racially or whatever. And that's the ultimate driver for change, because you don't want the future to go through that."

Lola probably won't remember it, but she's been living through an incredible year for the world, and for football. She's been up in the Bulldogs' Queensland hub with her parents.Johannisen has taken fatherhood in his stride, sharing tips with fellow Bulldog fathers Easton Wood, Mitch Wallis, Tom Liberatore and Josh Bruce.

"To be honest, I thought it would be a lot harder. We're pretty lucky, Lola's a pretty good sleeper and she's a pretty happy baby, and she's a bit of a favourite amongst the Doggies people. Pretty blessed to have such an easygoing baby," Johannisen said.

Luke Beveridge says the AFL should have consulted more widely before changing the interpretation of holding the ball.
    "She's got about 44 different uncles now. I've seen some of the younger boys with her and how good they are with kids and probably get the younger boys a bit clucky.

"It's pretty special watching all the little kids grow up and spend time together. Everyone's sort of gotten a lot closer ... because we've been through so much in the past three months."

Among the bonding experiences have been several fantasy football drafts, which help take the Dogs' players' minds' off hub life.

But there is no fantasy about the equation facing the Dogs, with finals football beckoning again.

The 2016 Norm Smith medallist will be 28 in November, but there is no sense that he is willing to rest his laurels on the famous events of four years ago.

"Whenever any player gets that taste of success, you sort of go crazy wanting another one. Our mindset's still the same, to win another premiership. And not make the club go through another drought where you have to wait another 60 odd years," he said.

Johannisen made his name as a dashing half-back flanker, and while he still has that string to his bow, he has been comfortable changing gears.

"My role this year's been slightly different, a bit more defensive in the first half of the year, especially with Caleb Daniel being so good with ball in hand. I probably sit back and have more of a defensive role, and just lately in the last couple of weeks moved up the ground and played a bit of midfield and forward time. As a team we've noticed we could probably do with some speed on the wings and in the forward line. Personally I'm happy playing anywhere."
    Last edited by GVGjr; 19-09-2020 at 10:39 PM. Reason: image added
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

2. Thanks bornadog, Bulldog4life, Eastdog, Mofra thanked for this post
    Likes DOG GOD, hujsh, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Johannisen speaks up, for his daughter

Becoming a dad to a daughter changes your life. You never look at things the same ever again
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

4. Likes chef, bornadog, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

JJ is a legend.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

6. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

love ya jj

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff JJ! Hoping you have a ripping game today.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"