Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Josh Schache has fallen down coach Luke Beveridge’s pecking order

Schache had just been dropped after Jacob Weitering, the only player selected before him in the 2015 draft, kept the former Brisbane Lion to two disposals in Round 5.

Schache has not played since, and Grant provided a stunning insight as to why the Bulldogs had cooled on him.

The physical nature of the game tests you out,” Grant said.

“He’s got to work through that ability to work off his opponent and be aggressive, both in the air and when he needs to be against his opponent.

“That’s the challenge for him.

Schache is 23 with 68 goals from 56 matches. It would be understandable if Grant’s patience wore thin quicker than most, given the Daylesford boy booted 51 goals as a 17-year-old in his debut AFL season.

But Grant said in his day defenders were the “triers” — players with more heart than athleticism — whereas now that has flipped.

“They don’t give you a chance — so if you don’t take up the physical nature of the game it’s going to be pretty difficult,
    ” he said.

These bolded bits, make it really clear why Schache has been left out. It confirms that if you're a tall forward and you can't bring a physical component to your game, you're moving back in the queue.
    Schache has some work to do if he wants to make it here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Schache had just been dropped after Jacob Weitering, the only player selected before him in the 2015 draft, kept the former Brisbane Lion to two disposals in Round 5.

Schache has not played since, and Grant provided a stunning insight as to why the Bulldogs had cooled on him.

The physical nature of the game tests you out,” Grant said.

“He’s got to work through that ability to work off his opponent and be aggressive, both in the air and when he needs to be against his opponent.

“That’s the challenge for him.

Schache is 23 with 68 goals from 56 matches. It would be understandable if Grant’s patience wore thin quicker than most, given the Daylesford boy booted 51 goals as a 17-year-old in his debut AFL season.

But Grant said in his day defenders were the “triers” — players with more heart than athleticism — whereas now that has flipped.

“They don’t give you a chance — so if you don’t take up the physical nature of the game it’s going to be pretty difficult,
    ” he said.

These bolded bits, make it really clear why Schache has been left out. It confirms that if you're a tall forward and you can't bring a physical component to your game, you're moving back in the queue.
    Schache has some work to do if he wants to make it here.
    We knew this about him yet were still prepared to give Essington the two second rounders we got for Stringer. I don't think we're prepared to give up on him just yet.

Personally I wouldn't even be playing him as key forward.
    Josh Schache >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jake Stringer

3. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    We knew this about him yet were still prepared to give Essington the two second rounders we got for Stringer. I don't think we're prepared to give up on him just yet.

We also ended up with Richards in that trade of pics
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post

I don't think we're going to necessarily give up on him either, unless of course another club were to make an offer, that might help us secure someone else we want to add to the list this off season.

Post Thanks / Like

There’s certainly still time for Schache, but I suspect it’s hard to get back in the side if we have a healthy list. I actually don’t mind the idea of playing him as a defender.

If we have to make significant list changes, could he be in the gun?
    #bemorebulldog

Men of Mayhem

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    There’s certainly still time for Schache, but I suspect it’s hard to get back in the side if we have a healthy list. I actually don’t mind the idea of playing him as a defender.

It would almost be wrong not to shop him around especially with some other key forward movements
    I still rate him and I hope we just work really hard with him to address his physicality in a contest but you would have to think he's a long way back in the pecking order so we might be able to trade him and get something reasonable rather than having him as a depth player
    Start each day with a task completed. Find someone to help you through life. Respect everyone.
    Know that life is not fair and that you will fail often. But if take you take some risks, step up when the times are toughest, face down the bullies, lift up the downtrodden and never, ever give up — if you do these things, then the next generation and the generations that follow will live in a world far better than the one we have today.
    And what started here will indeed have changed the world — for the better.

Tassie (but wishes i was onstage with KISS) !!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post

Will North come knocking ?
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Will North come knocking ?
    Could we swap him with Brown? They would be similar players only Brown would be harder at it.
    Brown likes to lead Aaron likes to jump and Bruce can float around half forward.
    There are plenty of talented people in the world. As you already know, talent is not enough. Some of the athletes with the most potential never pan out. What separates the good from the great is determination and work ethic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Could we swap him with Brown? They would be similar players only Brown would be harder at it.
    Brown likes to lead Aaron likes to jump and Bruce can float around half forward.
    I don't think Brown is the type of player we'd target. He's not really able to do anything once the ball hits the deck, and he's not really able to play anywhere else other than as a leading full forward.

It's highly likely the league has seen the best of Ben Brown, we should be developing Schache and JUH rather than bringing Brown in.

Post Thanks / Like

If we get Brown I’m out.
    - Goldstein for 2021 First -