Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Josh Schache has fallen down coach Luke Beveridge’s pecking order

Schache had just been dropped after Jacob Weitering, the only player selected before him in the 2015 draft, kept the former Brisbane Lion to two disposals in Round 5.

Schache has not played since, and Grant provided a stunning insight as to why the Bulldogs had cooled on him.

The physical nature of the game tests you out,” Grant said.

“He’s got to work through that ability to work off his opponent and be aggressive, both in the air and when he needs to be against his opponent.

“That’s the challenge for him.

Schache is 23 with 68 goals from 56 matches. It would be understandable if Grant’s patience wore thin quicker than most, given the Daylesford boy booted 51 goals as a 17-year-old in his debut AFL season.

But Grant said in his day defenders were the “triers” — players with more heart than athleticism — whereas now that has flipped.

“They don’t give you a chance — so if you don’t take up the physical nature of the game it’s going to be pretty difficult,
    ” he said.

These bolded bits, make it really clear why Schache has been left out. It confirms that if you're a tall forward and you can't bring a physical component to your game, you're moving back in the queue.
    Schache has some work to do if he wants to make it here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Schache had just been dropped after Jacob Weitering, the only player selected before him in the 2015 draft, kept the former Brisbane Lion to two disposals in Round 5.

Schache has not played since, and Grant provided a stunning insight as to why the Bulldogs had cooled on him.

The physical nature of the game tests you out,” Grant said.

“He’s got to work through that ability to work off his opponent and be aggressive, both in the air and when he needs to be against his opponent.

“That’s the challenge for him.

Schache is 23 with 68 goals from 56 matches. It would be understandable if Grant’s patience wore thin quicker than most, given the Daylesford boy booted 51 goals as a 17-year-old in his debut AFL season.

But Grant said in his day defenders were the “triers” — players with more heart than athleticism — whereas now that has flipped.

“They don’t give you a chance — so if you don’t take up the physical nature of the game it’s going to be pretty difficult,
    ” he said.

These bolded bits, make it really clear why Schache has been left out. It confirms that if you're a tall forward and you can't bring a physical component to your game, you're moving back in the queue.
    Schache has some work to do if he wants to make it here.
    We knew this about him yet were still prepared to give Essington the two second rounders we got for Stringer. I don't think we're prepared to give up on him just yet.

Personally I wouldn't even be playing him as key forward.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

3. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    We knew this about him yet were still prepared to give Essington the two second rounders we got for Stringer. I don't think we're prepared to give up on him just yet.

We also ended up with Richards in that trade of pics
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post

I don't think we're going to necessarily give up on him either, unless of course another club were to make an offer, that might help us secure someone else we want to add to the list this off season.

Post Thanks / Like

There’s certainly still time for Schache, but I suspect it’s hard to get back in the side if we have a healthy list. I actually don’t mind the idea of playing him as a defender.

If we have to make significant list changes, could he be in the gun?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    There’s certainly still time for Schache, but I suspect it’s hard to get back in the side if we have a healthy list. I actually don’t mind the idea of playing him as a defender.

It would almost be wrong not to shop him around especially with some other key forward movements
    I still rate him and I hope we just work really hard with him to address his physicality in a contest but you would have to think he's a long way back in the pecking order so we might be able to trade him and get something reasonable rather than having him as a depth player
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post

Will North come knocking ?
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Will North come knocking ?
    Could we swap him with Brown? They would be similar players only Brown would be harder at it.
    Brown likes to lead Aaron likes to jump and Bruce can float around half forward.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Could we swap him with Brown? They would be similar players only Brown would be harder at it.
    Brown likes to lead Aaron likes to jump and Bruce can float around half forward.
    I don't think Brown is the type of player we'd target. He's not really able to do anything once the ball hits the deck, and he's not really able to play anywhere else other than as a leading full forward.

It's highly likely the league has seen the best of Ben Brown, we should be developing Schache and JUH rather than bringing Brown in.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

12. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If we get Brown I’m out.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Martin & English will play together. You’d think so and English up forward works for us with his marking.

Say Jamarra & Naughton have the best balance with Bruce fighting for a spot with pride to force out the pups.

Do we leave Josh fighting, or with his endurance move him to the wing using his foot skills and more uncontested marking? Or look at maybe a third tall type role, with athletic ability and extra height over his opponent. Down there with Keath, Gardner, Young & Wood.

I’m still backing the kid, but we now have choices and options to move the magnets around with our talls and mids, post trade and draft.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I wonder if Martin & English will play together. You’d think so and English up forward works for us with his marking.

Say Jamarra & Naughton have the best balance with Bruce fighting for a spot with pride to force out the pups.

Do we leave Josh fighting, or with his endurance move him to the wing using his foot skills and more uncontested marking? Or look at maybe a third tall type role, with athletic ability and extra height over his opponent. Down there with Keath, Gardner, Young & Wood.

I’m still backing the kid, but we now have choices and options to move the magnets around with our talls and mids, post trade and draft.
    I was thinking we needed some bait to get Danjul into more discussion this week.

Schache should be eyeing Bruce's spot in the team, but not really the same role (i.e. if Bruce is out then Schache comes in and we change the set up a bit). The reality is he needs to get stronger so he can help in the ruck. For mine he's great running around a paddock but isn't quick enough over 5-10m or by hand and foot to be able to play further up the ground at the coalface.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

In my view Schache best chance next year is if we move Naughton to defence. I can’t see any way that he fits in without a change in philosophy for the same reasons I said he wouldn’t play before last years season.

I actually hope I’m wrong he seems to have applied himself well and was generally able to have some impact the year before. Bit of a victim of our inability to defend turnover as a team. We just can’t afford to have a cumbersome tall that doesn’t play with the corresponding tall attributes.

Even if there was a change of heart on Bruce, he now has English and Marra to contend with as well.

17. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I was thinking we needed some bait to get Danjul into more discussion this week.

Schache should be eyeing Bruce's spot in the team, but not really the same role (i.e. if Bruce is out then Schache comes in and we change the set up a bit). The reality is he needs to get stronger so he can help in the ruck. For mine he's great running around a paddock but isn't quick enough over 5-10m or by hand and foot to be able to play further up the ground at the coalface.
    Unless BT has gone back 99,999,999 posts he may have missed Danjul views on the ruck and Schache
    More of an In Bruges guy?

19. Likes bornadog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    In my view Schache best chance next year is if we move Naughton to defence. I can’t see any way that he fits in without a change in philosophy for the same reasons I said he wouldn’t play before last years season.

I actually hope I’m wrong he seems to have applied himself well and was generally able to have some impact the year before. Bit of a victim of our inability to defend turnover as a team. We just can’t afford to have a cumbersome tall that doesn’t play with the corresponding tall attributes.

Even if there was a change of heart on Bruce, he now has English and Marra to contend with as well.
    or Bruce to defence?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.