Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  30
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Oval Memories

bucky shepparbottom played with us at totty aswell boys under 16 and 3rds

Post Thanks / Like

I remember the peanut man and that's all i ever heard him say. The hide street band was a classic as I was only a young one back then and it was always good to see a bit of skirt at half time.
    Also I use to go and watch the U19 while the dogs played away, occasionally got an orange or drink from the trainer.
    But the best memory was collecting the cans after the game and then going to buy those hot donuts with the money. Use to be very upset if they hadn't any left by the time we got up to the van.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember one player in the u19s Des Hicks wearing the no 58 jumper. Dont ask me why I remember just him. Funny thing happened last yr, whilst reading the local paper I see a photo of a park ranger in Werribee named Des Hicks. The article went on to say that he played u19's. Just thought I would share this spooky story with you all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    I remember one player in the u19s Des Hicks wearing the no 58 jumper. Dont ask me why I remember just him. Funny thing happened last yr, whilst reading the local paper I see a photo of a park ranger in Werribee named Des Hicks. The article went on to say that he played u19's. Just thought I would share this spooky story with you all.
    I never saw much of the u19's, but plenty of the reserves. We usually arrived at the ground just after half time for the reserves and watch the second half before the main match. I think the U19's played at the away ground when the main game was at home.

I do miss watching the reserves. Going down to watch the VFL these days isnot as good as watching your own club.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=craigsahibee;30988]
    Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    I Does anyone remember the ground being invaded by fans and coaches before the siren went?]

I've got a DVD of the last 1/4 of that game. Templeton takes a mark, goes back to have a shot and as he's walking in to kick a little kid strolls up, taps him on the back and sticks an autograph book under his nose. Doug Hawkins is standing there trying to get people of the ground, spots a mate and walks over and shakes his hand.

I still dont know how no-one was ever killed or maimed running onto the ground back then. Geez it was fun though.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

6. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    What about shedding blood in the stands? I tore the sleeves out of 5-6 jackets on the rusty barbed wire over the players race (and on a couple of occasions, my arms as well); I used to stand on the concrete rise so I was head-height with the adults.

I've shed blood on both sides of the fence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    We played a pre-season charity match v Collingwood at Waverley to raise money for the Ash Wednesday bushfire victims in 1982. I was roped into helping carry the blanket for donations and copped a 50c piece above my left eye. 6 stitches, thanks for helping.

Both my kids go to Hyde street-which is called Footscray City Primary School now-and both would like to thank you for your sacrifice.

Well they would if they knew about it.

9. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Twodogs;36943]
    Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post

I've got a DVD of the last 1/4 of that game. Templeton takes a mark, goes back to have a shot and as he's walking in to kick a little kid strolls up, taps him on the back and sticks an autograph book under his nose. Doug Hawkins is standing there trying to get people of the ground, spots a mate and walks over and shakes his hand.

I still dont know how no-one was ever killed or maimed running onto the ground back then. Geez it was fun though.
    I still have great memories of running onto the ground. Imagine if someone gets to 100 goals this year. Can you see the crowd just tearing over the fence to mob them?
    Have awesome memories of kicking the footy on the ground after the game, nothing more amazing than running onto the ground patting your favourite players on the back then taking your footy and putting a snap through the (what seemed like) enormous goalposts.

Speaking of shedding blood at the footy, although it wasn't at the WO, but at the Junction Oval, my brother managed to slice open his eyelid on a piece of wire poking out from an old fence at the scoreboard end. Left that game early and spent the afternoon at the Royal Children's. Back in the days before mobiles, so mum was at home getting pissed off cos she thought dad had gone off to the pub with us after the game and that's why we were so late. I was just annoyed at my bro cos we had to leave the footy early.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

11. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post

I really miss being able to do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Climbing up and down the rocks at the Geelong Road end (all day in a footscray jumper 3 sizes too big for me). Got invited up into the main scoreboard to trade some of my 1980 Scanlen footy cards with the 16 year old operator. That was a real highlight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I've shed blood on both sides of the fence.
    I was there when it was on the turf!! Geez that was a good game of RecFooty.

Wasn't it still weeping the next week?

Anyhoo, as for my Whitten Oval memories, I had one come to me yesterday.

It was around 1992 or so and we were playing StKilda, one of our players put up a long kick to HF, just inside 50 on the Gordon St side, and waiting under it were 2 StKilda players. My sentence went something along the lines of "Oh who has he kicked that to... DOUGIEEEEEEEE!!!"

The Hawk flew above the pack, took an absolute ripper mark, and then went back and duly slotted the kick. Was a ripper.

Post Thanks / Like

Every time a head out past the WO, I can still feel the sensation of the wet and frozen VB can in my hand in the last game against the Eagles. (Although I do remember that my hand was frozen, I don't really still feel the sensation but it makes for better reading).

My fondess memory from that day however is of the chant that rang out across the Doug Hawkins wing..... "Matera's a wanker..............Matera's a wanker..............Matera's a wanker" after Billy whacked him across the chops and he cried to the umpire.

I have made mention of this to lots of other people and no-one else has the same vivid memory of this chant. Does anyone else here remember it or did I drink to many VB's.???

Totally unrelated to WO, my other vivid memory is also of a chant. This time however it was in the Southern Stand, 1998 prelim late in the game. The seats were sold in bays/block of supporters and with Adelaide supporters to my left and to my right the chant "Were in the final.(clap, clap, clap, clap, clap)...Were in the final (clap,clap, clap, clap, clap)" does truly still haunt me.

I do subscribe to the theory that the pen is mightier than the sword, however on that day if a sword had of been handy I would have rivaled Martin Bryant for the head count.

16. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Standing right behind Ozzie, as he let loose with a massive barrel.

Never forget that.

Post Thanks / Like

1985 anouncer after the game " Footscray are now for the in time in ( please TCD insert ) on top of the ladder".
    It was the first time in a long time and really the first time as a Doggies fan we had any hope of winning the flag.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see a preseason game played there (perhaps one of the NAB challenge games should we get knocked out of the cup). It would make a lot more sense than playing at Princess Park, would probably draw a bigger crowd, and would be a nice money spinner for the club.