Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  83
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 1 of the finals vs Eagles or Saints

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I tried to explain it in my "I hate this matchup" thread...

I don't like the way we match up with the Saints. I know that in theory we could win...I just don't think we will. Honestly, I would rather play West Coast or Geelong or Brisbane or even Richmond than the Saints. Our zoning style of defense doesn't work vs them. We have an amazing ability to let outside mid/forward types (and the Saints have a billion of them) to have 25 possession + 3-goal games...

Oh yeah. And our effort in games when we are playing the 'top' sides has been pretty much immaculate. Versus the mid rangers who the players think we are better than? Not so much...

Like I said, I am dreading it. I don't want to be a downer on everyone btw (and usually try not to be) but this game does not have me excited to strap myself in to watch it...
    Good to hear Bevo saying he has a plan b and c
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like the way we match up with the Saints. I know that in theory we could win...I just don't think we will. Honestly, I would rather play West Coast or Geelong or Brisbane or even Richmond than the Saints. Our zoning style of defense doesn't work vs them. We have an amazing ability to let outside mid/forward types (and the Saints have a billion of them) to have 25 possession + 3-goal games...

Oh yeah. And our effort in games when we are playing the 'top' sides has been pretty much immaculate. Versus the mid rangers who the players think we are better than? Not so much...

Like I said, I am dreading it. I don't want to be a downer on everyone btw (and usually try not to be) but this game does not have me excited to strap myself in to watch it...
    I feel 100% the same. We match up poorly and I just reckon we get rolled.

I mean, I reckon we’re a better chance of winning the flag than them, but that they’re a team that’ll beat us.

3. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely think we are going in with a small forward down, worried about our scoring power with the side selected.

Will be interesting to see how they use Daniel and JJ in this, I think we will see them forward at stages potentially swapping with Richards and Smith.

Post Thanks / Like

Besides Carlton, we didn’t really lose to a side below us all season and effort overall seemed fine. I don’t think effort will be a problem tomorrow in a cut throat final.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

For mine it will come down to a few certain points..

1) we HAVE to win the midfield stoppages.

2) we HAVE to kick more goals than points

3) we CANNOT allow players like billing’s, Steele, Ross and Hill to kick multiple goals or get 25+ possessions.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm worried after seeing the aerial shots of the Gabba tonight, that our zone will stretch too wide on the large ground and they will be able to cut through it. We are so dependent on pressuring the ball carrier so that they can't move the ball quickly and effectively - I'm hopeful that if we can keep the pressure up, we can limit those goals. I would almost guarantee that the Saints get at least one or two goals with speed out the back, but I'm hopeful it is only one or two.

The Saints played us well in Round 2 but our game has been refined since then, and I think we are ready to match them. Unless they decide to scratch our faces and the umpires forget that their job is to control the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I'm worried after seeing the aerial shots of the Gabba tonight, that our zone will stretch too wide on the large ground and they will be able to cut through it. We are so dependent on pressuring the ball carrier so that they can't move the ball quickly and effectively - I'm hopeful that if we can keep the pressure up, we can limit those goals. I would almost guarantee that the Saints get at least one or two goals with speed out the back, but I'm hopeful it is only one or two.

The Saints played us well in Round 2 but our game has been refined since then, and I think we are ready to match them. Unless they decide to scratch our faces and the umpires forget that their job is to control the game.
    Same size as SCG and 5m shorter in length than the G

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes jazzadogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can we stop pretending St Kilda are one of the best sides in it?

We might lose, and they've shown they can play good footy, but Christ they're hardly worth fearing.

11. Likes Bulldog Joe, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

We might lose, and they've shown they can play good footy, but Christ they're hardly worth fearing.
    They played well in the first half of the season but they were not impressive in the second half.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

Agreed and well said anyone would think they are top of the ladder and undefeated for 3 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Billy still a massive chance named as an emergency!
    I have a feeling Billy will play a rambunctious role this campaign. His physicality may be required.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    I have a feeling Billy will play a rambunctious role this campaign. His physicality may be required.
    Get that outta here.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

16. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just watched the Freemantle game again, which is good to sit back and watch, once you know we have won. It gives you a chance to quietly observe the contributors, and some of the less obvious things that they do. Conversely you note the shortcomings and less obvious clangers.

After this I am more confident about today's outcome. It was very much about a total team effort, but with the standout effort being Lachie Hunter. Also the Saints need to beware Josh Bruce. Signs are he is back, big time. And against his old team, could just prove to be their nemesis.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

18. Likes Grantysghost, Scorlibo, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    I have just watched the Freemantle game again, which is good to sit back and watch, once you know we have won. It gives you a chance to quietly observe the contributors, and some of the less obvious things that they do. Conversely you note the shortcomings and less obvious clangers.

After this I am more confident about today's outcome. It was very much about a total team effort, but with the standout effort being Lachie Hunter. Also the Saints need to beware Josh Bruce. Signs are he is back, big time. And against his old team, could just prove to be their nemesis.
    Plus Bruce coming off a high of seeing his second child being born?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    I’ve been scouring the AFL site - where do I find stats on rambunctiousness? I’m sure Billy would be top 3 in the league.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."