Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  83
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 1 of the finals vs Eagles or Saints

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    We certainly worked our way back into the game but our start was deplorable. We must be switched on early.
    Wasn't it the other way around? We started OK, but missed a few gettable set shots and then they just took off after our repeated turnovers and lack of defence?

2. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Wasn't it the other way around? We started OK, but missed a few gettable set shots and then they just took off after our repeated turnovers and lack of defence?
    Maybe you're right I blocked much of it out and didn't rewatch any of it. What I do remember was how well they moved the ball and scored and how static we were.

We were easy pickings for them.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

4. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you're right I blocked much of it out and didn't rewatch any of it. What I do remember was how well they moved the ball and scored and how static we were.

I think we are a different team from when we played them back then, and with 4 or 5 different players with some good ins, we should be more competitive.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Last time we played them:

Clearances: Saints 32 to 29

Stoppages: 18 to 20

Cont Poss: 127 to 115 - Not good

Inside 50s: 40 to 39

We just didn't take our opportunities and turnovers cost us dearly

Players last time included. Lloyd, Dale, Gowers, Vandermeer, Suckling, Jong - so a big change
    More interesting to look at who has been added to that side.

Hunter, Wood, Cordy, Duryea, Liberatore and Roarke Smith who played last week.

Think that is a pretty good upgrade and you would really only prefer Vandermeer of the outs to Roarke of the ins.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

7. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    More interesting to look at who has been added to that side.

Hunter, Wood, Cordy, Duryea, Liberatore and Roarke Smith who played last week.

Think that is a pretty good upgrade and you would really only prefer Vandermeer of the outs to Roarke of the ins.
    id almost feel bad for doing that, but yes, that’s the only change I’d make, VDM for Roake
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

We started ok but did indeed miss our opportunities in the first quarter. They then piled on 12 scoring shots to 5 through the second and third quarters and nailed many of them.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

We started ok but did indeed miss our opportunities in the first quarter. They then piled on 12 scoring shots to 5 through the second and third quarters and nailed many of them.
    Most of those 12 scoring shots felt like they were from within 10m out. Need to deny them easy ball inside 50m and close down the space when it does get in there.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna rewatch the game this week, because I had the red mist the first time and can't really remember anything except what I believe were 13 goals kicked from the back of the square by Dan Butler.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I'm gonna rewatch the game this week, because I had the red mist the first time and can't really remember anything except what I believe were 13 goals kicked from the back of the square by Dan Butler.
    2nd and 3rd quarters were not pretty
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Don't get my started on the most average of average players to win premierships, the one and only Max Rooke, and his hip and shoulder on Johnson in the 2008 preliminary final.

And before you get into me yes, Max Rooke was tough, but he was literally carried by that team.
    Oh man, I had buried that one. Game defining moment.
    09 was worse and more mentally damaging, but that moment in particular shit me for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    That’s my recollection too. Our lack of running back to defend was deplorable. As was our goal kicking in first quarter when we had chance to possibly seal the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    That’s my recollection too. Our lack of running back to defend was deplorable. As was our goal kicking in first quarter when we had chance to possibly seal the game.
    Yeah non-competitive would be the word I would use to describe our first two rounds of the season. I would hope our elimination final won't look anywhere near the same, particulary after last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Oh man, I had buried that one. Game defining moment.
    09 was worse and more mentally damaging, but that moment in particular shit me for a long time.
    Walking out of the 2009 Preliminary Final my sister and I were grabbed by a guy who said: 'Oh man! you guys were absolutely killed by the umpires tonight!' The man was Mark 'Choco' Williams.

But of course we've all moved on from those many injustices and don't mull constantly over them any more .....
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

17. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Walking out of the 2009 Preliminary Final my sister and I were grabbed by a guy who said: 'Oh man! you guys were absolutely killed by the umpires tonight!' The man was Mark 'Choco' Williams.

But of course we've all moved on from those many injustices and don't mull constantly over them any more .....
    To keep us all sane let’s just tell ourselves all these heartbreaking moments led to the many wonderful 2016 moments. Without the heartbreak, 2016 doesn’t exist like it did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post

I'm still adamant Harbrow touched the ball on Riewoldt's last goal haha.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.