Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  83
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 1 of the finals vs Eagles or Saints

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Dutch is going to be a very good player for us, and could come in and do a job. We look more dynamic with him trying to run and carry through the lines. At his age, experience and with a recent hammy issue, there is no way I am bringing him in for a final though.
    Nah, I'm rolling the dice on VDM. Significant upgrade on Richards and his pace and toughness will be a real weapon against the Saints.

Let the Dutchman fly.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes SonofScray, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Going to be an interesting selection.

I love VDM and suspect Bevo and the MC do too, but it's a massive risk to take on a player who plays at pace coming off a hamstring.
    That is all I would be worried about to.

If he came in, who would you drop? For me it would be Roarke, although he did some nice things last week.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no statistical backing for this but think that Richards has created 4-5 goals the past two games (that mattered) through his pressure inside 50. It’s not the most exciting stuff but don’t think his contribution is fully borne out in his possession totals.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

5. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I have no statistical backing for this but think that Richards has created 4-5 goals the past two games (that mattered) through his pressure inside 50. It’s not the most exciting stuff but don’t think his contribution is fully borne out in his possession totals.
    He had two Goal assists, but agree he did do a few little things that lead to goals

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Just started the replay from round 2 and our first possession of the game was Caleb kicking it out on the full. Like that will ever happen again.

Post Thanks / Like

For those of you saying we burned chances early you are 1000000% right. We should've been 4 goals up 10 minutes in.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me know how it goes HD.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That is all I would be worried about to.

If he came in, who would you drop? For me it would be Roarke, although he did some nice things last week.
    Roarke Smith is a lock for mine.

Pace will be a premium against the saints and if our fitness staff back him in Vandeermer should play.

Either Lipinski or Richards are the outs for mine.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

How did you rate Lipinski on the weekend?

I felt he was good and is the right type of player, despite having a different skill set, to have come in and replaced McLean. Has hit the scoreboard a few times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Roarke Smith is a lock for mine.

Pace will be a premium against the saints and if our fitness staff back him in Vandeermer should play.

Richards has pace

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    How did you rate Lipinski on the weekend?

I felt he was good and is the right type of player, despite having a different skill set, to have come in and replaced McLean. Has hit the scoreboard a few times.
    I thought he was OK and seemed to get more involved rather than just floating around.

If Lipinski had a touch more leg speed I would have him ahead of Richards.

I still like Roarke Smith to play the McLean role.

My biggest concern against St.Kilda is their pace and ball movement.

Hard to tell on the TV, if Lipinski improved his defensive running?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Richards has pace
    Yeah, that is why I'd lean towards Richards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Let me know how it goes HD.
    Turns out we actually won this time. Billings missed 5 straight set shots and then Bont kicked the sealer after we were tied the whole game.

A few things I (actually) noticed;

We leaked nearly all our goals from quick transitions out of our forward line, owing to generally horrible defence from our mids and forwards. As we all know this has improved out of sight since this game (partially due to players working harder, partially due to some personnel changes), so I *think* this shouldn't be as much of a problem. Also Zak Jones was their prime mover, who is coming into the game under a cloud (if he plays at all), which you would think has to help us.

St Kilda rotated just about every mid and spare player through their forward line at some stage, likely as a ploy to bring the heat on our defenders. This is something we could well expect to see repeated but didn't really hurt us that much. At any rate, if you aren't expecting sustained intense pressure from a forward line in a final in 2020 then you probably aren't going to win.

We had a lot of chances to convert, didn't, and then let them transition the ball too easily; not exactly what they could call a sustained recipe for success. Add in our far improved overall form and it's actually made me feel far more confident about the game.

16. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Turns out we actually won this time. Billings missed 5 straight set shots and then Bont kicked the sealer after we were tied the whole game.

A few things I (actually) noticed;

We leaked nearly all our goals from quick transitions out of our forward line, owing to generally horrible defence from our mids and forwards. As we all know this has improved out of sight since this game (partially due to players working harder, partially due to some personnel changes), so I *think* this shouldn't be as much of a problem. Also Zak Jones was their prime mover, who is coming into the game under a cloud (if he plays at all), which you would think has to help us.

St Kilda rotated just about every mid and spare player through their forward line at some stage, likely as a ploy to bring the heat on our defenders. This is something we could well expect to see repeated but didn't really hurt us that much. At any rate, if you aren't expecting sustained intense pressure from a forward line in a final in 2020 then you probably aren't going to win.

We had a lot of chances to convert, didn't, and then let them transition the ball too easily; not exactly what they could call a sustained recipe for success. Add in our far improved overall form and it's actually made me feel far more confident about the game.
    We started defending deeper after that game and didn’t press as high as we were for the first two games.

18. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    We started defending deeper after that game and didn’t press as high as we were for the first two games.
    With a couple of noticeable exceptions/ lapses through the year that were costly.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.