Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  83
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 1 of the finals vs Eagles or Saints

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    This game will be won and lost in the midfield. If we’re concentrated and locked in defensively we should win this. The saints burn opponents off the turnover and love setting the ball up 10m out from goal for their smalls to crumb the spoils of King. Our game against them had them kick 14.4 with 9 of those goals 10m out directly in front. We did a horrible job of making their f50 entries difficult. They’ll also look to control possession the way Freo did but will move it A LOT faster.

I’m actually a lot more comfortable down back now that Gardner has nailed down a spot. That extra tall will come in handy against the saints with King, Marshall and Ryder able to clunk marks. However our HBs and mids will need to be accountable as when that ball hits the deck the saints are very dangerous. The cats controlled this when they played the saints so well. Forced their entries wide and absolutely dominated the likes of Butler from getting the drop. It’s not entirely difficult. Just requires concentration and discipline.

Our forward line should be fine. Coffield is a fine interceptor but we’ve done well against better.

The other important area will be the ruck. This will be a big test for Tim. Ryder and Marshall are the type of ruckmen he typically struggles against. And both can clunk a mark up forward so he’ll need to be on his game. It’s a massive challenge for him.

All in all if our mids can get on top and apply enough pressure to limit clean f50 entries, it takes away the saints’ main weapon in creating scores from 10m out from goal. If we hit them hard early, like GWS did to us, take our chances on goal and don’t give them easy kicks we’ll win this.
    What we don’t want, is their mids like Billings and Ross picking up 25+ possies. Our mids need to run hard BOTH ways, and we need to be a tackling machine. Faux tough man Jones should be back, and we can’t have him intimidating our guys. We have to tackle hard, and tackle often. Whichever team succumbs to the pressure will lose, and like you said above, we cannot have the saints kicking goals from 10-20 metres out....oh and if we kick 6.12, we will lose.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

This is really our first big test isn't it. So 2019 in the Eliminaton Final when we capitulated, we said we would learn from that but we haven't (didn't) show how during the home and away season. Well, here's our chance.

The Aints were all over us like a cheap suit the last time we played. Really the way they blew us away embarrassed and shocked us as they have done numerous times in the past. We have to have learnt that lesson, we must respond against them. Everything has fallen into place again for us. There's no excuse for a poor performance.

I believe we have a vastly more talented group than the Aints and while they are playing for each other I'm confident our midfield is superior and we will win, we simply have to. We have so much more finals experience than these guys if we play at our best we put them away.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

3. Likes jeemak, bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I tend to agree. If we control the space around the footy and next possession out our backline will be eternally grateful to the midfield. What we saw against the Saints last time was the worst of us, terrible compression of our forward fifty making hard for us to score but easy to score against, bees to the honeypot with the disputed ball, and selective efforts in midfield pressure and accountability.

Truly a nightmare of an evening.

But, since the Richmond game we've not really had all of those issues show up at the same time in games, or at least not for full games or large chunks of them. I'm confident we've progressed closer towards having our heads around what it takes for these lapses not to take over our performances.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    This is really our first big test isn't it. So 2019 in the Eliminaton Final when we capitulated, we said we would learn from that but we haven't (didn't) show how during the home and away season. Well, here's our chance.

The Aints were all over us like a cheap suit the last time we played. Really the way they blew us away embarrassed and shocked us as they have done numerous times in the past. We have to have learnt that lesson, we must respond against them. Everything has fallen into place again for us. There's no excuse for a poor performance.

I believe we have a vastly more talented group than the Aints and while they are playing for each other I'm confident our midfield is superior and we will win, we simply have to. We have so much more finals experience than these guys if we play at our best we put them away.
    Agreed. We only lose this with a poor performance. Unless the saints pull one out of nowhere. We’ll see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post

Last time we played them:

Clearances: Saints 32 to 29

Stoppages: 18 to 20

Cont Poss: 127 to 115 - Not good

Inside 50s: 40 to 39

We just didn't take our opportunities and turnovers cost us dearly

Players last time included. Lloyd, Dale, Gowers, Vandermeer, Suckling, Jong - so a big change
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Considering how bad we played those stats aren’t horrible.

I think the saints are very gameplan dependant. We have two weeks to analyse it.

Hopefully the break doesn’t halt out momentum. The last three times we’ve had a break we have subsequently produced the three worst games in our recent history.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Considering how bad we played those stats aren’t horrible.

I think the saints are very gameplan dependant. We have two weeks to analyse it.

Hopefully the break doesn’t halt out momentum. The last three times we’ve had a break we have subsequently produced the three worst games in our recent history.
    Players last time included. Lloyd, Dale, Gowers, Vandermeer, Suckling, Jong - so a big change

Bont on AFL 360 tonight was asked about last years elimination and what happens if Saints try to intimidate us. Bont believes the group has matured a bit from last year and the team knows to expect these things.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bont on AFL 360 tonight was asked about last years elimination and what happens if Saints try to intimidate us. Bont believes the group has matured a bit from last year and the team knows to expect these things.
    Playing GWS last year it was expected they would intimidate us and we went to water. Fingers crossed Bornadog, their mind is on the job the moment they step onto the grass, because it’s starts at the first bounce. We have to be hard, strong and 100% committed. Expect it . Expect it to come hard, and I expect the dogs to be READY !!!!
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    What is Riewoldt talking about?

Since when do teams get to choose where they play finals? I must have missed all those finals down in Geelong, or our 2015 final at Marvel vs Adelaide.
    He probably expects the same charity that was afforded him from the umpires in the 2009 PF
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    He probably expects the same charity that was afforded him from the umpires in the 2009 PF
    I think you just need to get over the fact that the only time that type of free kick was ever paid happened to be in that game at that time......you know, apparently at a time where Lake was warned not to touch Nick Riewoldt/ a particular player.....which is also something that has ever happened until that game and at that particular time...….

How that doesn't rate up there with one of the most ridiculous free kicks to impact a game of all time within the media tells you who everyone wanted to win that day.

By my count it was about six umpiring calls that were dubious that led directly to Saints goals. Only game I've ever said the umpires wrote the result.

14. Likes 1eyedog, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't get my started on the most average of average players to win premierships, the one and only Max Rooke, and his hip and shoulder on Johnson in the 2008 preliminary final.

And before you get into me yes, Max Rooke was tough, but he was literally carried by that team.

16. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The inclusion of more mature and harder edge players ie. Keath and Bruce also makes a big difference. They add much needed muscle and are less likely to be intimidated. Bruce in particular will be throwing his weight around. Oh yeah and Libba is a huge in who will give it to the Saints and protect the likes of Bont.

18. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think you just need to get over the fact that the only time that type of free kick was ever paid happened to be in that game at that time......you know, apparently at a time where Lake was warned not to touch Nick Riewoldt/ a particular player.....which is also something that has ever happened until that game and at that particular time...….

How that doesn't rate up there with one of the most ridiculous free kicks to impact a game of all time within the media tells you who everyone wanted to win that day.

By my count it was about six umpiring calls that were dubious that led directly to Saints goals. Only game I've ever said the umpires wrote the result.
    Too soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Too soon.
    For two historically unsuccessful sides, we do seem to rise up the ladder at similar times (late 90s, late 2000s, now).

Even though there isn't a single player from either side still playing, it's time to get revenge for 2009 and send them packing.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

21. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We certainly worked our way back into the game but our start was deplorable. We must be switched on early.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.