Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  6
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs Vs Eagles Round 3 Autopsy

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

The Good

Adam Treloar was having a hell of a game, yet no one seemed to notice. The commentators were singing the praises of Tim English (who was getting smashed at the centre bounces) and Naughton, but Treloar didn?t get a mention. Best on Ground according to AFL?s Fantasy points and a team leading 8 clearances. Why not give Libba a break when Treloar is beasting it.

Tim English was influential everywhere but the ruck. Relentless around the ground and determined to be a target up forward.

It seems VDM has taken over the mantle of CWB (Chief Whipping Boy) for Bulldogs supporters but taking 10 marks showed great work rate and he did enough (in my opinion) to keep his spot but with his wayward goal kicking he may find himself as the sub against the Cats.

Has the Dog?s 2016 Handball Game come back? That Rhylee West goal after the Dogs found a way to just keep getting forward reminded me of THAT goal against GWS in the 2016 Prelim.

Many of these handball chains started from the back half because, well, the Dogs kept losing the Centre clearances.
    All Tall forwards contributed with Naughton signalling the roaming high CHF is his perfect spot.

The Connector being the term used.

It seems Johnno is earning his Goal Kicking/Forward Consultant fee. Accurate goal kicking wins games.

Contested marking and intercept marking ? love it!

The Bad

Turning the ball over too many times, a good team would have made the dogs pay.

A few attempts at chained possessions broke down because the Dogs were a little bit too cute with some field kicking and handballs.

Sam Darcy could have done more, especially with Lobb breathing down his neck in the VFL with 5 goals.

Bailey Dale had a below average game with his disposal and decision making and may feature in the media for a bit of ?self-preservation? as Dermie calls it during a marking contest.

The Ugly

Centre clearances. A good team, hell even an above average team would have made the dogs pay dearly for the avalanche of centre clearances throughout the game. The West Coast?s Bailey Williams won many of those clearances himself, exposing English?s main weakness of not being a good tap ruckman centre and field bounces.

Cody Weightman elbow injury? During his post-match interview, he mentioned the Doc ?popped it back in.? Not sure if the medical staff will give him the ok for the game against the Cats.

Any changes?

Next up is Gather Round against the Dog?s Nemesis. I don?t count that victory against the Cats last year when it was pretty much the VFL side the Dogs took on and still struggled to beat.

I can?t really see anyone losing their spot. Perhaps give Bailey Dale the required kick up the bum and see if he can fix his issues at VFL level. Harmes is a candidate or Garcia with both having great games in the VFL.

I would give Darcy another week but if Lobb keeps kicking 5 goal hauls, he could find himself back in the two?s again if serves up average performances like that.

Sub role is interchangeable from Baker to Poulter or even Dale.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs Vs Eagles Round 3 Autopsy

Thanks for the great summaries you are doing.

How would you assess Jack Macrae's influence on the game?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dexter, enjoy these autopsies each weak
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think there is a lot to pick on as it’s hard to get everything right against a lower team . Sometimes it brings you down a level.
    Most times you play better against better ,so i am going to be happy with we did what we had to and took the percentage.
    Bring back the biff

From Melbourne, to London and now Perth WA
    Post Thanks / Like

Can?t see anyone getting dropped next week unless there?s an injury we?re unaware of. Maybe poulter, but he cracked in when he came on.

In the twos we have lobb, sunny and harmes knocking the door down. And Richard?s to also come back. Going to be some unlucky players next week.

Great problem to have.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks DexterT.

I enjoy reading these each week.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Love these posts mate.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Agree that Treloar had a great game.
    Naughton was busy up the ground and his strong marking was a feature.
    Centre clearances weren’t all that good, the Eagles seemed to shark more than we would normally expect.
    Dale was terrible in the first half but came good later.
    Bramble has been a find.
    Loved Cody’s dribble goal; he said he would have got a blast if it hadn’t come off . Let’s hope his elbow is not too bad. He’s had a similar injury before, hasn’t he?

Post Thanks / Like

I think Vandermeer earns a lot of the criticism he receives, but also should get a bit of praise for his efforts yesterday. He is no chance of being the sub after a career best game. Played his role almost perfectly.

10. Likes EasternWest, SonofScray, Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I think Vandermeer earns a lot of the criticism he receives, but also should get a bit of praise for his efforts yesterday. He is no chance of being the sub after a career best game. Played his role almost perfectly.
    He’s prone to bumbling acts of buffoonery BUT, if we can’t appreciate his work ethic and his commitment to playing to instruction, then it is we who are in fact the buffoons.

I love that he’s out there chirping and agitating and being a menace.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    He’s prone to bumbling acts of buffoonery BUT, if we can’t appreciate his work ethic and his commitment to playing to instruction, then it is we who are in fact the buffoons.

I love that he’s out there chirping and agitating and being a menace.
    He is definitively the designated chirper . His football problem is his brain is too quick for his hands and his speed, if he doesn’t grab it cleanly with the first attempt it becomes a horrible turn over.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work on the thread and summary.

Tend to disagree a bit on Darcy. Although he didn't get a high volume of the footy - I thought we looked more dangerous when he was out there - and the opportunities he did get he did well. Seeing him take a couple of contested marks, his dexterity when it was bouncing around, and his left foot pass he made in the last quarter. Watching Darcy was one of the enjoyable parts of the game and I can't wait to watch him again next week.

Equally I'm pleased Lobb did well in the VFL.

14. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Credit where due to Vandemeer - who I'm not a fan of - good to see him have a good game. Its been a while. If he can bring that level every week, then I'll shut up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Nice work on the thread and summary.

Tend to disagree a bit on Darcy. Although he didn't get a high volume of the footy - I thought we looked more dangerous when he was out there - and the opportunities he did get he did well. Seeing him take a couple of contested marks, his dexterity when it was bouncing around, and his left foot pass he made in the last quarter. Watching Darcy was one of the enjoyable parts of the game and I can't wait to watch him again next week.

Equally I'm pleased Lobb did well in the VFL.
    Darcy is a significantly better aerial presence than Lobb. I think that’s more valuable than any boost we get from Lobb in the ruck.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Darcy is a significantly better aerial presence than Lobb. I think that’s more valuable than any boost we get from Lobb in the ruck.
    We are also a significantly better team by the end of the year if Darcy becomes a walk up start player and is influencing games. I think that is the priority in the second ruck position. If Darcy begins to run out of steam, as young players can do, then we make the change.