Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  220
Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs Game Day V St. Kilda - Week 1 2020 Elimination Final Two

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    We brought in Keath and Bruce last trade period. Schache the year prior. We use a mix of trade and development.
    In Bevo's time we have brought in Suckling, Lloyd, Trengove, Schache, Bruce, Keath, Duryea, Crozier.

You have to ask if this strategy is working? In 2016, 22 players, only 3 were from other clubs, and they came off rookie lists.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Danjul thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Goldy is far from a hindrance BAD.

No fan of Norf but he was and still is a very, very good player.
    Goldy a lumbering ruckman??? Wow. He is an aerobic beast who is also extremely competitive one-on-one, is a brilliant tap ruck exponent, and can also clunk a mark up forward. To lump him in with Preuss and the other dinosaurs does him a great disservice. Preuss has a dreadful tank, doesn't have great ruckwork nous (hell, even Dunks was able to deal with him at stoppages) and gets by on being a physical and aggressive ruckman in short bursts (because that's all he can do). He is a million miles from Goldy in almost every way. If Goldy was a couple of years younger I'd throw a contract offer at him in a heartbeat and it would only benefit English's game not detract from it.

I don't think anybody is advocating we get a dinosaur type like a Preuss, who I don't rate for the reasons mentioned. Marshall and Ryder are a great example of complimentary strengths, as is Ladhams and Lycett. Alternatively, we can continue to play Tim as virtual sole no 1 ruck and see him continue to get monstered by the really good stoppage ruckmen in the better teams (whilst also robbing Tim of his great assets around the ground). And we can also continue to play around with other funky moves like using Dunks in ruck with Tim standing next to him in D50 and call this 'supporting' English.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    And we can also continue to play around with other funky moves like using Dunks in ruck with Tim standing next to him in D50 and call this 'supporting' English.
    I don't believe one person is advocating that.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Exactly how I see it as well. You can forget a Pruess, Goldy, type. In today's game lumbering rucks are a hindrance.
    All the evidence is that we cannot be successful without one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    We will draft an athletic kid - English clone - mark my words.
    Who is out there who meets those criteria?
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

We saw it yesterday. At a boundary throw in early in the game. Dunkley took the ruck and English ran away to the interchange.

Happening too often.

All the other teams have supporters who worry about what opposition coaches are planning. Can’t we go back to that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    We brought in Keath and Bruce last trade period. Schache the year prior. We use a mix of trade and development.
    Keath was a clear structural acquisition and a very good one at that. Bruce was an acquisition with an eye to replacing the previous key forward acquisition, Schache, that we don't seem to have faith in (otherwise the much mooted 3-pronged key forward set up of Naughts, Bruce and Schache would have been in play from R1). Preceding both of these was the specifically targeted KPP free agent acquisition of Trengove, who has barely played in 2 of the 3 years we signed him up for. So we have effectively done 3 trades/FA, all on decent coin and decent length of tenure, and have not materially improved our list at all with any of them so far. This replacement trading is counter-productive - if we identified a player we need in an area, that player should immediately make us much better and for many years.

Then you have the Duryea, Crozier, Lloyd, etc.. fringe type trades where you can get some gold (Crozier) but aren't really addressing an urgent area of deficiency and are more about adding depth to the list. These are fine but they aren't going to make a massive difference to sharp overall improvement, and we haven't improved sharply in the last couple of years even with these trades.

Post Thanks / Like

What’s the bet we choose a hbf’er in the draft lol
    I will never see #16 the same!!

10. Likes CarnTheScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Who is out there who meets those criteria?
    There are a couple. One is from the same club Tim was recruited from.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

12. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The MC have effectively advocated this as the support offered to Tim by using this tactic so often and also using Bruce as ruck relief, presumably because he has been so abject as a key forward target all season.

We haven't helped Tim's development at all in the last 2 years IMO. In fact, I think we are really hurting him in other areas. I don't think we understand what we have with him, as we are seemingly hellbent on trying to turn him into something he is not, hiding under the cover of 'development'.

14. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    The MC have effectively advocated this as the support offered to Tim by using this tactic so often and also using Bruce as ruck relief, presumably because he has been so abject as a key forward target all season.

We haven't helped Tim's development at all in the last 2 years IMO. In fact, I think we are really hurting him in other areas. I don't think we understand what we have with him, as we are seemingly hellbent on trying to turn him into something he is not, hiding under the cover of 'development'.
    Needless to say we are also going about ruining Dunkley by asking him to play ruck, inside mid and 'rest' as a marking forward. I'm not sure who has had it worse in terms of a lack of support - English or Dunkley.

16. Likes Sedat, G-Mo77, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Needless to say we are also going about ruining Dunkley by asking him to play ruck, inside mid and 'rest' as a marking forward. I'm not sure who has had it worse in terms of a lack of support - English or Dunkley.
    Totally agree. I just don’t understand what the MC see in what they are doing.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Totally agree. I just don’t understand what the MC see in what they are doing.
    I think the MC felt they had no choice.

In the end Dunkley only played a couple of games in relief ruck when they were giving Tim a break.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the MC felt they had no choice.

In the end Dunkley only played a couple of games in relief ruck when they were giving Tim a break.
    It's happened most games BAD if not all. Ok not in the centre bounce but on boundary throw ins or ball ups. It happened yesterday. Are the MC and List Managers separate entities that don't communicate? This needed addressing much earlier and our failures will continue if we keep following the same broken path.

Post Thanks / Like

Ryder out for rest of season - bad luck for him