Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  220
Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs Game Day V St. Kilda - Week 1 2020 Elimination Final Two

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    100000000%

I have said it before but '97 was such a wild, crazy and UNEXPECTED ride that for me the loss was bad but I just loved that team and was 100% confident we would "get 'em next year".

Hence my new life philosophy - If you ever get a chance, you had better bloody well take it.
    :-)
    It's crazy the paralells between the 97/98 and 09/10 prelims. Faced the same team back to back. Should have won the first but lost in heartbreaking fashion. Got the chance at redemption a year later. Got blown away. Some teams just can't climb that mountain.

Post Thanks / Like

Get a bit nervous that our best two forwards come in under injury clouds, and Naughton seems to need a bit to warm up on return (I know he won’t have actually missed a game, but you know)

Big, big, BIG night for Josh Bruce.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    It's crazy the paralells between the 97/98 and 09/10 prelims. Faced the same team back to back. Should have won the first but lost in heartbreaking fashion. Got the chance at redemption a year later. Got blown away. Some teams just can't climb that mountain.
    It wasn’t our destiny, but how much did it irk everyone that it was wet the next Saturday which would’ve rendered our lack of a tall forward a non issue if we’d got through?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Probably the most devastated I’ve ever felt after a game... way worse than ‘97.

We were all over St.Kilda and didn’t put them away when we had the chance and were on the end of some disgusting umpiring.

That result doesn’t sit well with me.
    The better team on the night lost that prelim, even Ross Lyon conceded that after the game. It was a gut-wrenching result but I don't think I've ever been prouder of the team after a loss. I was at the GF the week after, and whilst it was small consolation I was quite chuffed that the better team lost the GF in similar heartbreaking circumstances that we lost the week prior.

The game that really irked me in 2009 was the QF. We didn't come to play in the first half and duly lost, which put us in the tough PF side of the finals draw.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

5. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    The better team on the night lost that prelim, even Ross Lyon conceded that after the game. It was a gut-wrenching result but I don't think I've ever been prouder of the team after a loss. I was at the GF the week after, and whilst it was small consolation I was quite chuffed that the better team lost the GF in similar heartbreaking circumstances that we lost the week prior.

The game that really irked me in 2009 was the QF. We didn't come to play in the first half and duly lost, which put us in the tough PF side of the finals draw.
    Go from the most shattered to the most tense I reckon I’ve ever been before a game. It was so important, but then after Hudson nicked the first goal of the game, we did not show up in that first quarter.

Bitterly disappointing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Go from the most shattered to the most tense I reckon I’ve ever been before a game. It was so important, but then after Hudson nicked the first goal of the game, we did not show up in that first quarter.

Bitterly disappointing
    We'd done the Cats in the second last round at Etihad too, I was as confident as you could be back then going into that final. Alas, not to be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    This is going to sound stupid but I think this was the game when I realised we were never going to PLAY IN (let alone win) a grand final whilst I was alive. A sad thing to think whilst still in your 30's!

I was obviously wrong but this game was a devastating defeat.
    Same here

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I think it's that 2009 prelim loss that has me wanting us to win on saturday against that mob more than another team. It really shouldn't matter. It was over 10 years ago and we've won a flag since and they haven't. But for some reason it does.

In saying that, the pain from the 97 loss to the crows seems to have worn off. Perhaps it takes a premiership AND 20 years.
    Same here

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Probably the most devastated I’ve ever felt after a game... way worse than ‘97.

We were all over St.Kilda and didn’t put them away when we had the chance and were on the end of some disgusting umpiring.

That result doesn’t sit well with me.
    Same here
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll never get over 97. Never.

A bit like Sedat I was completely filthy at our qualifying performances in 08/09 but the latter hurt most as we were at least as good as the Cats and that game enabled stereotypical perceptions of each club to be proliferated for what seemed like eternity until 2016 came along.

I think with 09's preliminary final I've continued to be so incredulous about the way it was officiated that it hasn't affected me to the extent it has some others. I'm stuck in a void of trying to intellectualise what I witnessed that night, and I still can't.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

10. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

09 took me a long while to accept / get over too. Not really until 2016 did I kind of let it go.

We really should have almost put the Saints away in the first quarter, but some of the frees were ridiculous including the Lake on Riewoldt one before the start of the 3QTR.

Gilbee's miss long lives with me too.

Post Thanks / Like

09 and 97 are both enormous missed opportunities

Looking back I felt we would have won in 97 but felt less confident we would overcome the cats on 09

During the 09 PF we seriously gave that game everything - I felt like it came down to umpiring - Hargraves holding the ball when he kicked it 45 metres, the Riewoldt free kick(s)

97 I just sat there in the MCG members stunned - Ive never been about to watch DJarman highlights and derive any enjoyment from them - but having come from where we'd come from I dont think it hit me instantly what a monumental opportunity we'd just blown

Post Thanks / Like

We choked in 09. The umpires didn't help but if we kick the goals we missed then we win.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Reading about 2009, 1997 etc...alll I can say is: thank **** for 2016!
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Reading about 2009, 1997 etc...alll I can say is: thank **** for 2016!
    Yes 2016 helped a lot in shrugging those PF losses off but still they hurt as they were big opportunities.

The late 2000s we were a strong team but just not as strong as a few other teams ahead of us in those years. Much stronger competition then.

The late 90s 1997 a very even year and a huge opportunity to win the flag but it wasn’t to be. We were very solid in the 90s.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...-match-preview

Elimination Final match preview
    The lowdown on everything you need to know ahead of the Elimination Final.

The Western Bulldogs and St Kilda will do battle in a winner-takes-all contest at the Gabba on Saturday afternoon, for a chance to lock in a Semi Final berth.

Here’s the lowdown on everything you need to know ahead of the Elimination Final:

HOW THEY GOT HERE
    The Bulldogs were on the bottom of the ladder after two rounds. They slowly recovered and stormed into the top eight by Round 17, eventually overcoming a plucky Fremantle outfit in Round 18 to secure seventh spot for a second successive year. The Saints, conversely, shot out of the blocks in 2020 and have occupied a position at the top end of the ladder for most of the season. In the end, the Dogs and Saints each recorded 10 wins and seven losses for the campaign.

RECENT FORMLINE
    The Bulldogs have saved their best footy for the back-end of the season, winning five of their last six, with that loss coming against a Geelong team which had to reel in a six-goal deficit in Round 14. The Saints have won two of their last three games, including a 52-point thrashing of GWS in the last round.

LAST TIME THEY MET
    The red-hot Saints were far too good for the Bulldogs in Round 2 this year, in the first game back from the 11-week AFL season hiatus. St Kilda won each of the first three quarters to lead by 40 points at the final change, eventually winning by 39. Jack Billings (three goals and 24 disposals) and Zak Jones (29 touches) starred for the Saints, while Bailey Smith (29 possessions) and Josh Dunkley (27 disposals and a goal) held their own for the Dogs.

RECENT FINALS HISTORY
    This will be the Bulldogs’ fourth appearance in the finals in the last six years. An Elimination Final in 2015 was followed by that fairytale premiership the following year. Two years outside the top eight has been followed by back-to-back Elimination Finals. The Dogs will be looking to redeem themselves from last year’s finals exit against GWS.
    This will be St Kilda’s first final since 2011, where they were defeated by Sydney in the first week. That result followed two years of finals heartbreak on the biggest stage – in 2010 the Saints lost the Grand Final replay to Collingwood, and in 2009 they lost the season decider to Geelong.

TEAM SELECTION
    The Bulldogs received a couple of injury scares from their Round 18 game, with Aaron Naughton (cheekbone) and Mitch Wallis (shoulder) under immediate fitness clouds. Thankfully, both are on track to play the Saints if they get through training this week. Laitham Vandermeer and Matt Suckling are both recovering from hamstring injuries and are in the mix for selection.
    The Saints have already ruled out utility Josh Battle, who is nursing a sore foot, but Zak Jones is a chance to return from a hamstring strain.

FINALS X-FACTOR
    For the Bulldogs, Naughton is capable of tearing any game to shreds. He has vice-like hands, loves the big stage and has a six-goal haul to his name already this season. His likely inclusion also means there’s less pressure on Josh Bruce to kick a winning score.
    Saints’ small forward Dan Butler has been a revelation in 2020, kicking 27 goals after crossing to Moorabbin from Richmond. He is lightning quick, gets to the right spots and has kicked multiple goals on nine occasions already this year.

WHAT THEY SAID
    “This is essentially why you play the game, you want to play in these big games. The ladder position reflects what our season’s been like, so we’ve earned nothing more than just the first week and that’s how we’ll approach it.” – Bulldogs’ defender Alex Keath.

“It’s been a long time for our footy club, a long time for our fans. It’s something you want to be a part of every year. We want to make sure we perform really strongly this week and hopefully have a bit part to say in the next few weeks.” – St Kilda captain Jarryn Geary.

SOMETHING QUIRKY
    ‘Hub bubs’ have become a thing of late, and the Saints and Dogs have both welcomed new babies into their extended footy families over the last fortnight. St Kilda skipper Jarryn Geary and Dogs spearhead Josh Bruce each have had Queensland-born baby boys, and had to deal with a period of isolation away from their team-mates due to the AFL’s covid-19 protocols.

MATCH DETAILS
    St Kilda vs Western Bulldogs
    Saturday October 3, 4.40pm AEST
    The Gabba
    Live on Channel 7 (from 4pm), Fox Footy (from 3.30pm) and AFL Live
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Jones (hamstring) will return for Josh Battle (foot) in St Kilda's sole change, while Ratten said Hannebery (hamstring) had benefited greatly from the week off and spent it training harder than most.

Carlisle will play against the Bulldogs, but there is some doubt beyond that – assuming the Saints win – with his partner due to give birth imminently.

Link

18. Thanks azabob thanked for this post