Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  220
Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs Game Day V St. Kilda - Week 1 2020 Elimination Final Two

'09 was a bigger devastation for me than 97 also. 97 I was only 14 and I thought we'd be better the following year - and had come from so far back the year before. Whereas by '09 I really understood how hard it is to get to a Grand Final and we were so close.

We absolutely "owe" the saints one. But I really worry about the match up.

I'm going to predict that we win, because our mids are so much better, but its a leap of faith that Bevo and the coaches will make the adjustments to set up to not let Billings, Lonie and Butler run riot. Seriously, Lonie and Billings have a picnic against us EVERY time.

Pretty crucial week for Timmy to not get completely wiped out in the ruck. He needs to make sure that if he's not getting the taps - that he is making it incredibly hard for Ryder to get effective taps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    '09 was a bigger devastation for me than 97 also. 97 I was only 14 and I thought we'd be better the following year - and had come from so far back the year before. Whereas by '09 I really understood how hard it is to get to a Grand Final and we were so close.

We absolutely "owe" the saints one. But I really worry about the match up.

I'm going to predict that we win, because our mids are so much better, but its a leap of faith that Bevo and the coaches will make the adjustments to set up to not let Billings, Lonie and Butler run riot. Seriously, Lonie and Billings have a picnic against us EVERY time.

Pretty crucial week for Timmy to not get completely wiped out in the ruck. He needs to make sure that if he's not getting the taps - that he is making it incredibly hard for Ryder to get effective taps.
    McLean would have been a great match up for Billings, who as you've suggested saves his absolute best for us. Could be a job for Roarke Smith?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

The Bulldog passion! Love the one outside Luna Park!

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/v...=1601535600001
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Will teams be announced tonight or tomorrow?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Will teams be announced tonight or tomorrow?
    Should be tonight around 6:30pm.

6. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...-dogs-v-saints

Four things to watch: Dogs v Saints
    The hot topics and talking points ahead of the Bulldogs' finals clash against St Kilda.

1. Brucey’s big week

It’s been a big week for Josh Bruce – and he hasn’t even played yet!

The first-year Bulldog and his wife Pip have welcomed son August into the world, a younger brother for daughter Poppy.

It meant he had to train away from the group for a couple of days, but he returned to main training on Wednesday and is raring to go.

For Bruce, it’s a first taste of AFL finals footy. And it’s against his old side.

And they got the chocolates earlier this year.

The stage is set for Bruce and the Bulldogs to turn the tables now, when it matters most.

2. Another tall order for Tim

Tim English has come on in leaps and bounds again this season.

And he’ll be looking to showcase all he has learned, when he comes up against Saints duo Rowan Marshall and Paddy Ryder on Saturday afternoon.

The Saints’ ruck tag-team has been a successful feature of their game all season.

Marshall and Ryder have not only had an impact in the middle of the ground, but also pushing forward.

The Bulldogs will need to support English at times – as Luke Beveridge has acknowledged this week.

But English also brings his own strengths to the contest and could stretch the Saints’ duo with his ability to cover the ground and make an impact close to goal.

3. To tag, or not to tag

Employing a lockdown player, or two, is part of St Kilda’s style.

It has worked to great effect for the Saints this year and had an impact in round two when these sides last met.

Skipper Jarryn Geary is often the man the Saints turn to for a defensive forward role.

Will he go to Jason Johannisen again? Or potentially All Australian defender Caleb Daniel?

In the middle of the ground, will Seb Ross have a tagging role? And could it be Marcus Bontempelli he goes to? Or Jack Macrae? Or even Bailey Smith?

And will the Bulldogs employ a midfield tag of their own – a role that Toby McLean had performed admirably, prior to his season-ending knee injury.

How the sides line-up at the opening bounce will be fascinating.

4. Class of ‘16

There’s no doubt that when push comes to shove, big game experience counts.

The Bulldogs will certainly hope that gives them an advantage – however minimal – in the heat of battle this week.

St Kilda will be hungry for success, having not tasted finals footy since 2011. Geary is the only member of the Saints’ team who played in that game.

The Bulldogs have undergone plenty of change since 2016.

But nine players from that one day in October remain – including premiership skipper Easton Wood and current skipper Marcus Bontempelli – who will know all about delivering when the pressure is at its most intense.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    We choked in 09. The umpires didn't help but if we kick the goals we missed then we win.
    I get the sentiment, but there's been nothing like what we saw against the Saints that night ever. It was a complete disgrace and the only game I'll ever hold onto as majority influence by umpires.

We played extremely well and put everything into it. I get we missed some opportunities but that happens in games. What doesn't usually happen is one team getting it handed so overtly on a silver platter.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

9. Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Changes from last year's Elim Final:

OUT: Dale, McLean, Hayes, Lloyd, Schache, Suckling, West, Lewis Young

IN: Keath, Bruce, Gardner, Daniel, Williams, Wallis, Liberatore, R Smith

Significant upgrade on 2019 personnel, IMO.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

11. Likes GVGjr, Insufficient Intent, N/A, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs by 29
    First Goal: Wallis
    BOG: Libba

13. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Saints by 5 pts

I just feel the impact of Ryder and Marshall will be too difficult for English, and will go a long way to them getting over the line.

1st goal- Wallis
    BOG- Libba
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Dogs by 15
    First Goal Bruce
    BOG Bont

Get the feeling Caleb might get the JJ treatment today.

Post Thanks / Like

As always the margin doesn't matter to me, as long as its a Bulldog win.
    First Goal: Bruce
    BOG: Libba
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs by 31

First Goal - Wallis
    BOG - Bont.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

What are some key match ups we want/need to see today?

I think Crozier/ Butler. We can't allow Butler getting cheapy cheating goals out the back. I don't really want to see Crozier flying for unnecessary pack marks either because you know Butler will all ready be 10 metres clear before Crozier hits the ground.

I'd like to see Libba go to Jack Steele. Steele has been in great touch going from a lock down player to a player who has to be locked down. If he gets too many first look clean ball it will bring their tall leading forwards into the game. Libba is the man to quell his influence imo
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Dogs by 19 points
    First goal: Wallis
    BOG: Bontempelli