Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  53
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: All Australian squad of 40

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's hard for us to mount a strong case for any of our players and the selected team is a very strong one as you would expect.
    Would Heeney be the luckiest of the players selected? He had a very good season but was it that good?

I know midfielders are the most prominent players and there is always a logjam but Rory Laird must be stiff not to make the best 22.
    What is the AA team? Is it a team that you would put on the field? Or do you stick in the best players in positions that they normally would not play in?

Would you put a Petraca in at HFF, and he can't kick goals, or a Brody Mihocek who we know can kick goals.

Personally, I think each position should have the best player in the AFL that normally would play that role.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What is the AA team? Is it a team that you would put on the field? Or do you stick in the best players in positions that they normally would not play in?

Would you put a Petraca in at HFF, and he can't kick goals, or a Brody Mihocek who we know can kick goals.

Personally, I think each position should have the best player in the AFL that normally would play that role.
    Our footy club for example plays midfielders like Bailey Smith on a HFF. You haven't specifically said you are for or against this but I assume you are ok with it.

Maybe Bevo selects the AA team?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Our footy club for example plays midfielders like Bailey Smith on a HFF. You haven't specifically said you are for or against this but I assume you are ok with it.

Maybe Bevo selects the AA team?
    We have little choice to rotate the mids through HFF, but the AFL has over 700 players to work with.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's no straightforward answer to that age old question. For me it depends. I'm not going to pick a wing or half forward who is clearly well behind a midfielder that is capable of playing in that position. If the margin is more narrow then sure, pick the player who plays in that spot.

I'm not sure the Petracca example is a great one. I would absolutely play him or Bont forward in a real team over Mihocek (assuming the team already has gun key forwards) because they do spend time forward and they kick goals and they are both top 5 players in the league. If you had have said Jack Macrae, then no, he can't play forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Picking 40 well performed players for the season and trying to assemble the best 22 understanding that there will be some players selected out of position. I get it's not ideal but I really can't challenge too many of the players selected.
    For example one of Oliver, Miller and Cripps had to be selected on a wing
    Petracca on a flank isn't much of a problem because you have Heeney and Rozee on the bench.

It's never going to be perfect.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I mentioned Dale as being stiff to miss out on the squad but it was as much about showing why Saad, who got anointed with the the Will Minson “wow he doesn’t suck now” spot in about round 13, had no business being picked.

Hard to complain about our guys (and especially Dale) missing when James Sicily got absolutely hosed anyway.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Yeah I mentioned Dale as being stiff to miss out on the squad but it was as much about showing why Saad, who got anointed with the the Will Minson “wow he doesn’t suck now” spot in about round 13, had no business being picked.

Hard to complain about our guys (and especially Dale) missing when James Sicily got absolutely hosed anyway.
    How they missed Sicily is a mystery

Post Thanks / Like

Stengle is a great story.

Have to had it to the Cats, their system is doing something right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

We should be lining up Junior Rioli

12. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

Yep, they backed their system and Stengle repaid them wonderfully well.

Post Thanks / Like

How they missed Sicily is a mystery

Yeah, he’s a dickhead, but if you removed all the dickheads from an AA team, you’d be in trouble. Struggle to see how he was behind Maynard or Sinclair.

Also saw a news.com article using Twitter posts as evidence to create controversy about Hawkins being named AA captain when he isn’t captain of a team. If I ever reach a point in my life where I’m even vaguely concerned about who the All Australian captain is, leave me to die in a ditch (also, mods, can you delete my posting history )

15. Likes jeemak, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post

HB: Jack Sinclair (St Kilda, 1st time), Sam Taylor (GWS Giants, 1st time), Adam Saad (Carlton, 1st time)

HF: Christian Petracca (Melbourne, 3rd time), Jeremy Cameron (Geelong Cats, 3rd time), Shai Bolton (Richmond, 1st time)
    So how would that All-Australian half back line go against the All-Australian half forward line?
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    So how would that All-Australian half back line go against the All-Australian half forward line?
    The forward line would kick a bag

18. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought GG might appreciate this given there is a reference to pressure acts

Post Thanks / Like

The half backs really feel like they get their one AA season and then are never considered again.

Anyway Saad blows and there isn’t a team in the AFL that would take him ahead of Dale.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -