Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  64
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I hate the St Kilda Matchup - Tell me how we win this game???

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Josh Bruce is going to come from the clouds and tear this finals series apart.
    If he has a good game against the Saints it will go a long way towards a victory for us. He really needs to shop early against his old team and nail a goal or two
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Does the challenge for Tim English get any bigger than against the Saints rucks of Ryder and Marshall?
    The great part for English is he is coming off a great performance against Darcy and Lobb so he should be confident he can perform well

I think Comrade once said that after Bontempelli, English was the most talented of players on our list and a good performance by Tim will go a long way towards a win for us.

Projected line-up

Backs: Williams - Cordy - Gardner
    HBack: Wood - Keath - Daniel
    Centre: B.Smith - Macrae - Hunter
    HFor: Crozier - Bruce - Johannisen
    Forw: Wallis - Naughton - Liberatore
    Rucks: English - Bontempelli - Dunkley
    Int: Duryea - Richards - Lipinski - R.Smith
    Emergencies: Sweet - Suckling - Lloyd - Dale

Will the inform tagger Jack Steele go to Bontempelli?
    A lot might depend on how Carlisle and Howard perform against Bruce and Naughton

We might be starting as the underdog but I like our chances

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Does the challenge for Tim English get any bigger than against the Saints rucks of Ryder and Marshall?
    The great part for English is he is coming off a great performance against Darcy and Lobb so he should be confident he can perform well

I think Comrade once said that after Bontempelli, English was the most talented of players on our list and a good performance by Tim will go a long way towards a win for us.

Projected line-up

Backs: Williams - Cordy - Gardner
    HBack: Wood - Keath - Daniel
    Centre: B.Smith - Macrae - Hunter
    HFor: Crozier - Bruce - Johannisen
    Forw: Wallis - Naughton - Liberatore
    Rucks: English - Bontempelli - Dunkley
    Int: Duryea - Richards - Lipinski - R.Smith
    Emergencies: Sweet - Suckling - Lloyd - Dale

Will the inform tagger Jack Steele go to Bontempelli?
    A lot might depend on how Carlisle and Howard perform against Bruce and Naughton

We might be starting as the underdog but I like our chances
    Ryder is a terrible match up for Tim because he can pretty much do to us what Tim can do to the Saints. I'm not sure how defensive Tim can be on him. I am worried about the ruck situation.

You don't think Laith will get up?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Ryder is a terrible match up for Tim because he can pretty much do to us what Tim can do to the Saints. I'm not sure how defensive Tim can be on him. I am worried about the ruck situation.

Ryder is also probably the second best tap ruckman in the game, which as we’ve all come to know and love as Tim’s glaring weakness. He’s not a guy you can just cede 40+ hitouts to because he will give his guys first and best use.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post

I hope Vandermeer is available but it's a slightly risky selection.

Post Thanks / Like

The last time we played the saints back in round 2 was a long time ago and English was still spooked from the belting he copped from Grundy. Since then he has played some best on ground performances a long with some ordinary games as well. His last month has been solid so he should come into the game with confidence. He just has to play his natural game which is pretty good and make Ryder/Marshall worry about him. Hopefully he can snag a couple of goals to keep them accountable. If Tim at least can break even in the ruck it will go a long way for us coming out on top in the end.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

7. Likes GVGjr, 1eyedog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does not matter as much the match-up as it is as much what the Bullies bring.

Given the game-style, they MUST control the stoppages and contested ball to have any hope. Given we are a high-possession team, we are therefore susceptible to over-using it, especially when the pressure is on, given it is the Finals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WBFC4FFC View Post
    Given we are a high-possession team, we are therefore susceptible to over-using it, especially when the pressure is on, given it is the Finals.
    We average 1-possession per player more than the Saints during 2020...when we played them in R2 they had MORE of the footy than us (336-319).

I keep hearing how this is an issue (high-possession Dogs vs low possession Saints) but based on 2020 numbers it just isn't true...

Lies and damned statistics I say...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    We average 1-possession per player more than the Saints during 2020...when we played them in R2 they had MORE of the footy than us (336-319).

I keep hearing how this is an issue (high-possession Dogs vs low possession Saints) but based on 2020 numbers it just isn't true...

Need to break down the stats to first half of the season versus second half.

We are one of the better performed teams with Stoppages, clearances, contested poss in the second half than the first, which gives me confidence.

We also addressed our lack of defence after the Saints game and didn't leak as many goals in the second half of the season.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

Have to say that stats aside I’ve never thought our possession rate was an issue. Maybe in the odd game where conditions needed us to take territory but in general I’m very comfortable with it.

The last thing we can afford to do is blast the ball out of congestion, we need to use our numbers and get quality exits. The challenge for us is when to use numbers/take space once we are out but that’s the same for everyone and is influenced by what’s happening ahead of the ball.

12. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Vandermeer will play. We will be a little worried by Saints pace.

We get on top in the middle then we win. We can't let them dictate to us by holding onto the ball. We need to roll the dice and take them on but don't over use the ball.

Duryea being back has also settled our backline. He is the General down there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    I think Vandermeer will play. We will be a little worried by Saints pace.

We get on top in the middle then we win. We can't let them dictate to us by holding onto the ball. We need to roll the dice and take them on but don't over use the ball.

Duryea being back has also settled our backline. He is the General down there.
    Duryea has freed-up JJ, Crozier and Daniel. A critical component of the side, providing heaps of versatility for the side as a whole.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WBFC4FFC View Post
    Duryea has freed-up JJ, Crozier and Daniel. A critical component of the side, providing heaps of versatility for the side as a whole.
    JJ & Daniel have benefited, Crozier not so much. He's had a very quiet/ineffective last 4 weeks, IMO.

I don't believe Croz, Williams, Wood & Duryea all playing together provides us with balance in defence. Adding Cordy to the mix only makes it worse.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    JJ & Daniel have benefited, Crozier not so much. He's had a very quiet/ineffective last 4 weeks, IMO.

I don't believe Croz, Williams, Wood & Duryea all playing together provides us with balance in defence. Adding Cordy to the mix only makes it worse.
    Crozier's whole season has been kinda bad tbh.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Crozier's whole season has been kinda bad tbh.
    First 10 or so matches were very good. Since the suspension he's had nowhere near the influence and adding another small defender (Doc) to the mix hasn't helped.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.