Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  64
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I hate the St Kilda Matchup - Tell me how we win this game???

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I like a few of your points but this one concerns me because it DIRECTLY relates to game-style. We have not defended well vs fast ball movement teams for a couple of seasons now (hell, think back to the 2015 elimination vs Adelaide in q4) and that is what the Saints do...we structure up a strong zone defense vs mark and kick teams but don't react quick enough on opposition play-on to close down a direct opponent...which means they will have open players (literally) everywhere...

I hate this match-up.
    Does the fast ball happen more often when we swamp the disputed footy and leave outlets open? Is it more likely to be an issue when we compress our forward 50m and waste countless opportunities?

I reckon it is and these things seem to have been alleviated somewhat by us in recent times, through being more organised and having had a team/ defenders with a little bit more continuity in playing together compared to when we were touched up on the spread by teams earlier in the year.

Our major concern should be how do we adapt to having the things we want to do stifled, as the Saints will put a lot of time into stopping the likes of Bont, Jacko, Caleb and Hunter who are all integral to us winning.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

From the R2 debacle, our midfield is much stronger with Libba and Hunter in. Theirs is weaker with Gresham out. They aren't going to get a +17 hitouts to advantage (the largest differential ever apparently) that they enjoyed in R2.

I am confident we can get the win. They are a good team with weapons, so are we.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

3. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You beat them by controlling the midfield, that's why Essendon haven't been successful because they are so weak in the middle
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    You beat them by controlling the midfield, that's why Essendon haven't been successful because they are so weak in the middle
    Excellent ball kicking of Essendon in an unrelated thread. We need more of this, BD, keep up the good work!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe we are in better form than them at the moment and are fielding a much stronger team than in R2. We should we comfortably
    My concern is that we keep them in the game with poor kicking, especially poor kicking for goal, thus opening the door for some dodgy free kicks to be paid at the death and we get done.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

8. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am confident out midfield brigade is better than theirs, but I'm really worried about the ruck situation. I think the ruck issue from R2 hasn't been resolved and they will have a significant advantage there - especially if it becomes a slog and a territory game, where multiple ruck stoppages in a row can gain the stronger rucking side some territory.

Hunter is a huge in though. I'm really hoping Wally gets up too
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be pretty disappointed if we didn't have some sort of plan to combat the ruck issue, given all 3 of our possible EF opposition heading into the last round have dominant big men.

We basically let Timmy get destroyed on his own in round 2, at least now Bruce is being used to provide a chop out. He's not going to tap it down Bont's throat over and again but if he can at least halve his contests and ensure the ball doesn't get ripped out of the ruck easily by the Saints ruckman, that's a big improvement on earlier in the year.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah they have had the wood on us in recent times but I reckon we are in some very good form right now really should have beaten the Cats and if we get a strong output from our midfielders and get the goals will hopefully win. Hoping Josh Bruce has a big game.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Yeah they have had the wood on us in recent times but I reckon we are in some very good form right now really should have beaten the Cats and if we get a strong output from our midfielders and get the goals will hopefully win. Hoping Josh Bruce has a big game.
    We have won 6 of the last 10, with 2018 our last win
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We have won 6 of the last 10, with 2018 our last win
    2 of those 4 wins were in games where Clay did his ACL for the 4th time and the other when Wallis broke his leg and Redpath did his ACL.

Have I mentioned that before?

Our last two losses have been disappointing though.

Post Thanks / Like

Saints are definitely a tough match up. They’re quick, they will kill us on the turnover, and they have enough variety in their avenues to goal that makes them unpredictable. As much as I was gutted Wally didn’t make the AA squad (he should have) in the half dozen Saints games I’ve seen bits and pieces of Butler has been phenomenal and gives them a very dangerous look.

Why we will beat them:
    Bont
    The Big Chilli Bush
    Caleb
    Libba
    Crozier
    Williams

We have enough quality and ability to shutdown/work off to not give them any easy ball. English is critical and that is likely to involve significant work taking pack marks around the ground, in the hole, up front.

We need our forward half functioning with space and shorter entry kicks that limit potential for fast break turnovers. The defensive effort our forwards put in to create contests and lock the ball in will be critical. Bruce is starting to hit form in the air and I’m quietly confident he could arrive next week.

16. Likes GVGjr, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel confident about this game. A number of positive changes to our side since we played them earlier in the year. We even have "premiership" experience which you just can't just buy. I think we will come out breathing fire....yes fire my friends. Much better than playing West Coast in WA I think we all agreed. Doggies by 3 goals plus for mine.

18. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing I’ve noticed in the recent game day summary videos is that in Bevos speeches to the players, he has emphasised being physical for the benefit of your teammates. Sacrificing your game for others. He clearly saw our work off the ball as a major weakness and reason for our losses. It’s certainly been a lot better in the last few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Saints are definitely a tough match up. They’re quick, they will kill us on the turnover, and they have enough variety in their avenues to goal that makes them unpredictable. As much as I was gutted Wally didn’t make the AA squad (he should have) in the half dozen Saints games I’ve seen bits and pieces of Butler has been phenomenal and gives them a very dangerous look.

Why we will beat them:
    Bont
    The Big Chilli Bush
    Caleb
    Libba
    Crozier
    Williams

We have enough quality and ability to shutdown/work off to not give them any easy ball. English is critical and that is likely to involve significant work taking pack marks around the ground, in the hole, up front.

We need our forward half functioning with space and shorter entry kicks that limit potential for fast break turnovers. The defensive effort our forwards put in to create contests and lock the ball in will be critical. Bruce is starting to hit form in the air and I’m quietly confident he could arrive next week.
    You forgot Naughton. I know he was only just starting to regain touch but he is like an evil Supervillian to every single backman in the comp. Defenders go to water around him (look at how he got his goal against Freo).

If he's up and about and plays well he will create absolute bedlam in our forward line.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

21. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Josh Bruce is going to come from the clouds and tear this finals series apart.

23. Likes Eastdog liked this post