Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  64
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate the St Kilda Matchup - Tell me how we win this game???

I really hate this match-up.

It just seems that the Saints are strong where we are weak...and their fast method of ball movement causes huge trouble for our zoning defence. Further to all that, they are at the very least 'solid' (Ruck + inside mids) where we are strong (inside mids) and, well...

Is anyone else just thinking 'Why couldn't it have been West Coast? Or Collingwood? Or even Richmond?"

Looking forward with dread. Hoping I am wrong (of course) but just not feeling it.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I hate the St Kilda Matchup - Tell me how we win this game???

I'm optimistic.

Our defence has been very solid over the past month. I think we're no 2 for goals against and our defence withstood a very direct Freo and a fast moving Melbourne side as well. Both teams were constantly hung up at half back or on a wing against us and spent a lot of energy trying to switch the play or looking for short options. In contrast the Saints have been treading water for a few weeks now and while they do have the ability to move the ball quickly so do Collingwood and Richmond. They're a young side, the vast majority playing in their first final.

There's no easy game from this point. If Wood can blanket Membrey and Keath can halve King's ability in the air I have faith in our mids being able to dominate possession. Our issue is forward we must take all of our chances when the opportunities present.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I am also feeling the anxiety about this one MJP.

Their small/medium forwards really concern me getting forward or even out the back completely. Our ball use is important to our defensive organisation even more than normal.

They have been more methodical in their build up since we played them but will go extremely quick if the option is there which is where they got us.

Their small forwards are clever even on a slow entry as well and read the spill well.

Ruck is a worry at Gabba as it is fairly unforgiving if you’re conceding out of the middle. That is a major worry for me in that we have been going ok there and haven’t had a clear disadvantage for a few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I really hate this match-up.

It just seems that the Saints are strong where we are weak...and their fast method of ball movement causes huge trouble for our zoning defence. Further to all that, they are at the very least 'solid' (Ruck + inside mids) where we are strong (inside mids) and, well...

Is anyone else just thinking 'Why couldn't it have been West Coast? Or Collingwood? Or even Richmond?"

Looking forward with dread. Hoping I am wrong (of course) but just not feeling it.
    I do agree. I am worried about their fast ball movement and our zoning defence as well as the ruck situation.

Our mids are going to have to play exceptionally well both with and without the ball.

That said, we do have 2 weeks to prep for them. They don't have a lot of stars and I think they are system driven so if we can figure it out we could shut them down. I just hope Bevo doesn't go into this game with a 'we play the game on our terms' mentality. We need to counter them rather than rely on playing our best brand to win.

Honnestly this game is as 50-50 as they come. I have no idea what to expect.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping we just grind them down in the middle, and the Saints overall inexperience in big games gets the best of them.

It's not in our DNA but I wouldn't be against a GWS-style physical ambush from the first bounce.

Definitely a genuine 50/50, IMO but I'd certainly prefer the Saints first up than Richmond or WC in Perth.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Ruck is a worry at Gabba as it is fairly unforgiving if you’re conceding out of the middle. That is a major worry for me in that we have been going ok there and haven’t had a clear disadvantage for a few weeks.
    I'm much less concerned about our ruck set up at centre bounces than around the ground.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

The saints' shot charts in their wins vs their losses is telling. When they're able to get shots square on goal about 15m out (which is what they love) they will have a field day. Force them wide and high and we will fair better (just as the cats did to them). Having an extra defender back should help us out here. We can't give them space in their 50. Having Gardner in form will help us here as he along with Cordy and Keath will allow the likes of Wood, Crozier, Williams and Dureya to provide better intercept and ground support. We do not want a shootout that's for sure.

If our mids can pressure their forward 50 entries we'll have a decent shot.

9. Likes CarnTheScray, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

(g+b)+1

11. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The key to their success is the Ryder/ Marshall combo. If we can negate their influence then we should be right on top, however this will be a huge challenge for our MC. It won’t and can’t rest on English alone. If we aren’t dominated on this area our mids will be all over the Saints mids - this is their weakness. Steele is very good but the rest are hit and miss. The other key is Butlers influence. He has been exceptional.

13. Likes kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Butler has trailed off the last month after having a barnstorming first half of the season. We've also got the perfect match up in Duryea for him now.

15. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    The key to their success is the Ryder/ Marshall combo. If we can negate their influence then we should be right on top, however this will be a huge challenge for our MC. It won’t and can’t rest on English alone. If we aren’t dominated on this area our mids will be all over the Saints mids - this is their weakness. Steele is very good but the rest are hit and miss. The other key is Butlers influence. He has been exceptional.
    Butler has actually dropped away recently but still a major concern. Liam Ryan and Garry Rohan may play differently but they have similar athletic attributes and both torched us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Butler has actually dropped away recently but still a major concern. Liam Ryan and Garry Rohan may play differently but they have similar athletic attributes and both torched us.
    I haven't watched a ton of St Kilda this season but I don't think Butler gets up the ground as much as either Ryan or Rohan. He's also no where near the aerial threat they both are. I think Duryea can stick in his back pocket and keep him quiet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I haven't watched a ton of St Kilda this season but I don't think Butler gets up the ground as much as either Ryan or Rohan. He's also no where near the aerial threat they both are. I think Duryea can stick in his back pocket and keep him quiet.
    He doesn’t but he is significantly faster than them (even Rohan). I’m confident with Duryea in the air but he’d want to be goalside at all times.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

They do match up well against us.

Our mids need to be accountable and at or close to their best - if they are, we win.

20. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    He doesn’t but he is significantly faster than them (even Rohan). I’m confident with Duryea in the air but he’d want to be goalside at all times.
    Nobody is significantly faster than Rohan, he's consistently been measured as one of the quickest in the league by GPS data.