Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  93
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nostalgia series - and finals in the time of coronavirus...

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I always somehow feel the fanatical belief of that group would have survived those usual random quirks o balls bouncing oddly or other things...after all the JJ non-goal decision could have made us hang our heads, to this amazing bunch it was just another hiccup.

There are two moments in the footage above that still make my heart race. When Scully gets it in the middle of the ground and pounds it forward...even though Wood brought it to the deck, there were 50/50 contests that we could have lost. And in the last ball up on the wing, the ball sort of ricochets past both Griff8n and Kelly and comes to us (the ultimate “hot” footy). And yeah, that kick backwards, not to mention the pickup and kick from Fletcher ROberts...well, actually there were millions of heart stopping moments and I’m so glad I was there.
    JJ running into the space of Scully could have been a 50 metre penalty
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Mum drove up from Melbourne and met me in Canberra, and then we drove up together.

I have to confess something - I’m a card carrying member of the Plastics. I went from going to multiple games every weekend when I lived in Melbourne, to four live games a year in Canberra. The only way to guarantee undercover seating is to be a member. And believe me, when it can snow up here, you don’t want to be out on the open wing. But the point of this is that I had access to giants members tickets, and my thinking was I would save some seats for doggies fans if we went through the giants allocation.

Mum and I were lucky enough to be in the fans standing at the banner to cheer the guys onto the field. It was an indescribable feeling and the noise was insane.

We then go to our seats - which turn out to be in with the giants players, WaGs and sponsors. If looks could kill as Mum and I inched through the rows to our seats in full bulldog regalia, we were dead a thousand times over.

I don’t have too much recollection of the game itself - I just remember the feelings, which yo-yo’d between ecstasy and extreme anxiety and often both at the same time. But at some point I remember looking around and realising that we were directly below the Giants coaching box and the AFL executive seats.

The relevance of this is that when Dickson marked at the end, and Mum and I are jumping up and down in our seats screaming, I look up and behind and I can see the countdown clock in the Giants coaching box say “0:29”. And I realise we have won. (Of course there was still plenty of time to do something stupid, but that never entered my head. I just knew.)

And then when it was all over and the Giants fans start walking dejectedly from their seats, two of them stand up and start yelling at Gil McLachlan standing on the tier above “get rid of the bye! it wrecked the finals series!” so of course I stand up and yell at Gil “keep the bye! best thing ever!” and he smiled.

Post Thanks / Like

That feeling of anxiety we all had was displayed perfectly by Libba snr when the camera cut to him throughout the game

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    That feeling of anxiety we all had was displayed perfectly by Libba snr when the camera cut to him throughout the game
    He had the look of a man who was being stalked by a crazed killer.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

5. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swampdau View Post
    Mum drove up from Melbourne and met me in Canberra, and then we drove up together.

I have to confess something - I’m a card carrying member of the Plastics. I went from going to multiple games every weekend when I lived in Melbourne, to four live games a year in Canberra. The only way to guarantee undercover seating is to be a member. And believe me, when it can snow up here, you don’t want to be out on the open wing. But the point of this is that I had access to giants members tickets, and my thinking was I would save some seats for doggies fans if we went through the giants allocation.

Mum and I were lucky enough to be in the fans standing at the banner to cheer the guys onto the field. It was an indescribable feeling and the noise was insane.

We then go to our seats - which turn out to be in with the giants players, WaGs and sponsors. If looks could kill as Mum and I inched through the rows to our seats in full bulldog regalia, we were dead a thousand times over.

I don’t have too much recollection of the game itself - I just remember the feelings, which yo-yo’d between ecstasy and extreme anxiety and often both at the same time. But at some point I remember looking around and realising that we were directly below the Giants coaching box and the AFL executive seats.

The relevance of this is that when Dickson marked at the end, and Mum and I are jumping up and down in our seats screaming, I look up and behind and I can see the countdown clock in the Giants coaching box say “0:29”. And I realise we have won. (Of course there was still plenty of time to do something stupid, but that never entered my head. I just knew.)

And then when it was all over and the Giants fans start walking dejectedly from their seats, two of them stand up and start yelling at Gil McLachlan standing on the tier above “get rid of the bye! it wrecked the finals series!” so of course I stand up and yell at Gil “keep the bye! best thing ever!” and he smiled.
    Great story. Bet your Mum forgave you. Not sure I could support a club with so many obnoxious players but then again I live in Melbourne home of most games (in normal so times).

Post Thanks / Like

Don’t tell my kids or husband, but that day was the best day of my life.

Flew up early afternoon & met my sister and friends at the ground. We were seated behind the goals at the stand end.

I think I spent the whole game dying and convinced we’d trip up at the end. My only clear memory (aside from my sister being stuck in the bar line for most of the second quarter) is Macrae’s goal and the spirit he flung his fist through the air with afterwards. After sitting on tenterhooks for what felt like FOREVER, suddenly the siren rang out. We. Had. Done. It!

My sister burst into tears. I was in shock. Congratulatory texts were streaming through my phone. Our group of seven headed down into the ground, laid down and made snow angels in the sweet, sweet turf. We headed back towards Central and found a pub for a pot and parma, which also happened to be showing the replay. There weren’t many in the bar when we got there, but with 10 minutes to go in the final quarter, we all turn around and realise that the pub is chock full of doggies supporters still riding every ball. One smart arse bar tender decided to change the channel & almost got lynched. The siren sounds and the whole bar breaks into “Sons if the West”, absolutely roaring!

Barely slept that night & caught a mid morning flight home. A seas of RW&B greeted me at the airport, and Smorgo was a few up the queue, looking absolutely delighted and getting plenty of love from all the dogs fans (a handshake from me included). An American couple in front in the queue asked me, “Who’s that man? Everyone seems to be very friendly with him!” so I gave them a short history of the Bulldogs, including the events of the previous evening.

I had booked a flight with the intention of heading to the VFL GF as well, but was completely spent by the time I got home, so just spent the afternoon watching the game and cuddling my then 9 month old (it my first overnight away from the little guy).
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post

Flew up early afternoon & met my sister and friends at the ground. We were seated behind the goals at the stand end.

I think I spent the whole game dying and convinced we’d trip up at the end. My only clear memory (aside from my sister being stuck in the bar line for most of the second quarter) is Macrae’s goal and the spirit he flung his fist through the air with afterwards. After sitting on tenterhooks for what felt like FOREVER, suddenly the siren rang out. We. Had. Done. It!

My sister burst into tears. I was in shock. Congratulatory texts were streaming through my phone. Our group of seven headed down into the ground, laid down and made snow angels in the sweet, sweet turf. We headed back towards Central and found a pub for a pot and parma, which also happened to be showing the replay. There weren’t many in the bar when we got there, but with 10 minutes to go in the final quarter, we all turn around and realise that the pub is chock full of doggies supporters still riding every ball. One smart arse bar tender decided to change the channel & almost got lynched. The siren sounds and the whole bar breaks into “Sons if the West”, absolutely roaring!

Barely slept that night & caught a mid morning flight home. A seas of RW&B greeted me at the airport, and Smorgo was a few up the queue, looking absolutely delighted and getting plenty of love from all the dogs fans (a handshake from me included). An American couple in front in the queue asked me, “Who’s that man? Everyone seems to be very friendly with him!” so I gave them a short history of the Bulldogs, including the events of the previous evening.

I had booked a flight with the intention of heading to the VFL GF as well, but was completely spent by the time I got home, so just spent the afternoon watching the game and cuddling my then 9 month old (it my first overnight away from the little guy).
    Great story thanks for sharing.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

We discussed on here our favourite moments after the JJ to Bont goal. Numerous GF moments were mentioned but this is right up there too.
    There were so many great Bulldog moments in this game. Tory Dickson had a couple of rippers. The goal he kicked when he outpointed two close-checking opponents and the mark and play on leaving GWS defenders looking at each other stemmed the tide in the last and from there the momentum swung.
    But yes, the roar of the crowd while the ball is still yet to reach the safe arms of Dickson is my favourite moment, just pipping JJ’s run/Bont’s goal and the marvellous coast to coast leading to Caleb’s goal in the shadows of 3/4 time.
    What a game that was. Sensational performance. Theatre to the max with an all-star cast. A thrill a minute ride especially for those in the house.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post

Grow up quickly don't they?

I remember watching the replay with my then teenaged son tgenext day. 20 minutes into the last quarter he said "dunno about you dad but I'm more stressed now than I was last night!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I had this the following week at the GF. I just had this feeling that we would win. It felt strange.

btw what was Bonts mum like throughout and after the game? Was she as fanatic as us dogs fans?
    I don't think I recall much of the Bontempelli's during the game because they were a few rows back but as soon as the siren rang, Mr Bont had raced down to the fence and Mrs and others were near us - and there was just pandemonium.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The moment we knew we were in a GF - what a feeling.

I watched this in a little shack on the Isle of Skye with the worst internet connection I could have possibly imagined. The picture froze every few seconds, and then skipped forward 15-20 seconds. It tore me apart not knowing what was happening.

There are a few moments I distinctly remember it freezing. One is at 32 seconds, ball on the orange HFF, Whitfield head down to pick it up and collides with Morris' hip. I fully expected the next unfreeze to be Whitfield lining up for goal, and almost started crying in that 20 seconds.

50ish seconds - boundary throw in. Relief, mixed with anxiety because it's still a very attacking position.

1.10 - another boundary throw in. Well done. (I wish I'd been able to see Toby's clearance live, such poise - he deserves to be a centre square clearance player).

I'm sure I saw something before this, but I remember Dunkley having the ball on the back flank. Analysing in my head and looking at the terribly pixelated screen to figure out if he had any other short options. *!*!*!*!. He's gonna have to kick it long.

Ball bouncing through that pack into Macrae's arms. You can't see his options in shot, so I expected at best a hack kick forward.

It didn't unfreeze, but suddenly (I must have not only been frozen, but delayed) my facebook messages lit up - "YESSSSS SO HAPPY FOR YOU" "GO DOGS" "AMAZING" "YOU HAVE TO BE FLYING BACK FOR THIS?!?!?"

Tears of joy.

It unfreezes, the boys are on top of each other, I'm on the floor. Incredible.

I don't regret my time living overseas, but holy shit do I wish it had been any other year.

Post Thanks / Like

I just watched this again today, inspirational, tear in the eye stuff. Imagine if we had Tom Boyd in the team for tomorrow week.... https://www.afl.com.au/news/49175/in...on-launch-film

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    I just watched this again today, inspirational, tear in the eye stuff. Imagine if we had Tom Boyd in the team for tomorrow week.... https://www.afl.com.au/news/49175/in...on-launch-film
    Goodness me……..more of that bloody hay fever!

Some supporters will never know what it's like to follow a real club. It's not their fault, they'll just never know.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

15. Likes Twodogs, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow. You just can't watch that without a tear(s) in your eyes. You need the tears. What a film.

17. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's hope the Josh Bruce redemption arc is just as sweet.