Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  93
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nostalgia series - and finals in the time of coronavirus...

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Goodness me……..more of that bloody hay fever!

Some supporters will never know what it's like to follow a real club. It's not their fault, they'll just never know.
    It really is an honour and a privilege to be allowed to follow this club isn't it?

You're right they will never understand.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

2. Likes westbulldog, merantau, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The week leading upto this game was hell for me, after witnessing first hand a death at my work place I was placed on leave so I had some time off, but my mental state wasn't all that great. For the entire week I was tossing up ''do I go up on the buses or do I stay home'' my girl friend (we had only been dating for 2-3 months at that time) told me that If I wasn't feeling mentally up to it I should stay in Melbourne where I had mental support through her, friends and family. The day of the game rolled around and to say that I regretted not going was huge.

I remember her coming around before the game started and bought our favorite take out, then we sat infront of the TV for the next 3 hours in my little bungalow in Kew and proceeded to have probably the most up and down emotional three hours of my life, with the last ten minutes of the game I couldn't even sit anymore and was just pacing back and forth swearing up a storm anytime it didn't go our way.

The last two minutes I honestly thought I was going to have a heart attack, the feeling in my chest was one I could taste in my mouth, years of anxiety and all the built up emotion from the previous week started to surface and came out when that kick from Stringer was mid-way through the air and caught by Dickson, I looked at the clock, at my missus, and broke down into a blubbering ball of crying mess, when the final siren sounded I went outside and yelled so loud in excitement half of Kew probably heard. I fluctuated between crying and celebrating for the rest of the night.

The rest of the week was a blur, I don't remember it, and the Grand Final win was the icing on the cake. But for me, for me the win over GWS in that Prelim was bigger than winning the GF. I knew going into the GF that we were going to win, not something I ever felt with the dogs, but that game I just knew that this group will snatch it, but that prelim will forever be burned into my brain for the rest of time as not only one of the Bulldogs best moments, but one of, if not the best game of AFL football ever played.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Luke Darcy “I have been wanting to say this as long as I can remember. The Bulldogs go through to a grand final can you believe it”.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    The week leading upto this game was hell for me, after witnessing first hand a death at my work place I was placed on leave so I had some time off, but my mental state wasn't all that great. For the entire week I was tossing up ''do I go up on the buses or do I stay home'' my girl friend (we had only been dating for 2-3 months at that time) told me that If I wasn't feeling mentally up to it I should stay in Melbourne where I had mental support through her, friends and family. The day of the game rolled around and to say that I regretted not going was huge.

I remember her coming around before the game started and bought our favorite take out, then we sat infront of the TV for the next 3 hours in my little bungalow in Kew and proceeded to have probably the most up and down emotional three hours of my life, with the last ten minutes of the game I couldn't even sit anymore and was just pacing back and forth swearing up a storm anytime it didn't go our way.

The last two minutes I honestly thought I was going to have a heart attack, the feeling in my chest was one I could taste in my mouth, years of anxiety and all the built up emotion from the previous week started to surface and came out when that kick from Stringer was mid-way through the air and caught by Dickson, I looked at the clock, at my missus, and broke down into a blubbering ball of crying mess, when the final siren sounded I went outside and yelled so loud in excitement half of Kew probably heard. I fluctuated between crying and celebrating for the rest of the night.

The rest of the week was a blur, I don't remember it, and the Grand Final win was the icing on the cake. But for me, for me the win over GWS in that Prelim was bigger than winning the GF. I knew going into the GF that we were going to win, not something I ever felt with the dogs, but that game I just knew that this group will snatch it, but that prelim will forever be burned into my brain for the rest of time as not only one of the Bulldogs best moments, but one of, if not the best game of AFL football ever played.
    Great post Vred. You really nailed it. I thought we were gone when they got those two quick goals to go 14 points up. But then Dicko goaled pretty quickly and we grasped the game and the momentum. There were still plenty of heart stopping moments after Bont's marvellous goal - the tension was off the scale in the last couple of minutes and the roar when the ball was heading towards Dicko was epic. Like you, I felt certain we would win the big one after that. The GF was great and also super exciting and tense (who can forget 'The Wall of Biggs') but, for me too, the Prelim is my favourite game of the two - just!
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."