Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  93
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nostalgia series - and finals in the time of coronavirus...

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

When the ball was kicked backwards that last minute, (was it clay?) the women next to me was screaming why, why. I said then we have this in the bag they are wasting some time.
    Pretty sure it was Dunkley that pulled the trigger on the backwards kick. Heart in mouth stuff.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Pretty sure it was Dunkley that pulled the trigger on the backwards kick. Heart in mouth stuff.
    It was Smith. I have moments of fear when watching that kick on replay. There were 3 GWS players in close vicinity and only the one bulldog. It wasn't exactly a "safe" kick. If he fubs it, its a GWS goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I spent the last 5 minutes screaming at my cousin at the game 'how much longer' as he scrambled to get the live stream up on the AFL app to check the time. It felt like he said 'about 5 minutes' for at least an hour.
    It just seemed to go on forever, I thought the timekeepers were purposefully waiting for GSW to kick one more goal.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I had texts coming through from a mate back in Melbourne, every 1 minute for the last 5 and my legs were getting tighter and tighter. I thought we were going to throw away another prelim.

When the ball was kicked backwards that last minute, (was it clay?) the women next to me was screaming why, why. I said then we have this in the bag they are wasting some time.

When Stringer kicked that ball to Dickson, and the ball was sailing through the air, I have never heard a roar like it.
    We discussed on here our favourite moments after the JJ to Bont goal. Numerous GF moments were mentioned but this is right up there too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    We discussed on here our favourite moments after the JJ to Bont goal. Numerous GF moments were mentioned but this is right up there too.
    The moment we knew we were in a GF - what a feeling.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

By now we were home from the Prelim and the start of a really bad illness was setting in. The best-worst few days of my life in the lead up to the GF as I descended into a clammy, delirious mess. Almost missed the Grand Final. Almost. I was prepared to crawl on my hands and knees to get there.

I blame the Giants for being a diseased mess.

8. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

12. Likes merantau, The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

14. Likes merantau, The Doctor, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My favourite footy day ever, and one of the best days of my life.

Flew in to Sydney, and a mate who lives in Balmain picked me up. He lived next door to Heath Shaw, Haynes and two other GWS players that aren't coming to mind. Bit awkward standing there in bulldogs scarf as they piled into a couple of cars to head to the game.

That huge pub near the ground was jam packed of doggies before the game, singing the theme song, and I would have met up either intentionally, or by accident, around 20-25 people I knew (including Mantis). The West of Melbourne were taking over Western Sydney!

Walking into the ground, I didn't have the same feeling of dread I'd had walking into the 'G' for prelims past. I felt confident - but also had a feeling that 'if we don't get the Giants today, we may never get them' (they obviously haven't quite kicked on as I'd expected).

Found our seats, 3rd row just forward of the wing, to the 'right of screen'. Sat between two of my mates who are brothers - and Woof's own Slimpickens and Giansiraccuser. And we were behind the dogs recruiters, a couple of who I knew from Willy cricket club. And around us plenty of Dogs players' family's, some Smorgan's, Delia's etc.

The game ebbed and flowed and was as exciting as you could imagine. In the last quarter, when we got behind by 14 points i had a weird thought, which was "thats ok - don't want to hit the front too early" and fully expected the resurgence. Very un-bulldog like optimism. When JJ kicked to the Bont....it was the most exciting thing I've ever experienced in my life. When the siren blew - I never saw Dickson take the kick - was in a huge man hug with the boys, and even hugged Bont's mum and some other random spectators....told Dalrymple he was a "f'n genius" and proceeded into the night catching up with many long suffering bulldogs supporters and celebrating.

Absolutely pinching myself the next morning that it was true and we were into the Grand Final. But also had no doubt in my mind that we were to be premiers, because if we could get through that game against the giants, then nothing was stopping us.

16. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Every. Single. Time...I still cry.

The things that could have gone wrong!! The tiny decisions, deflections, half touches that all mattered, and for once all went our way. And the sound of that roar as that little chain of possessions that ends with Dickson...oh wow.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

18. Likes bornadog, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    My favourite footy day ever, and one of the best days of my life.

Flew in to Sydney, and a mate who lives in Balmain picked me up. He lived next door to Heath Shaw, Haynes and two other GWS players that aren't coming to mind. Bit awkward standing there in bulldogs scarf as they piled into a couple of cars to head to the game.

That huge pub near the ground was jam packed of doggies before the game, singing the theme song, and I would have met up either intentionally, or by accident, around 20-25 people I knew (including Mantis). The West of Melbourne were taking over Western Sydney!

Walking into the ground, I didn't have the same feeling of dread I'd had walking into the 'G' for prelims past. I felt confident - but also had a feeling that 'if we don't get the Giants today, we may never get them' (they obviously haven't quite kicked on as I'd expected).

Found our seats, 3rd row just forward of the wing, to the 'right of screen'. Sat between two of my mates who are brothers - and Woof's own Slimpickens and Giansiraccuser. And we were behind the dogs recruiters, a couple of who I knew from Willy cricket club. And around us plenty of Dogs players' family's, some Smorgan's, Delia's etc.

The game ebbed and flowed and was as exciting as you could imagine. In the last quarter, when we got behind by 14 points i had a weird thought, which was "thats ok - don't want to hit the front too early" and fully expected the resurgence. Very un-bulldog like optimism. When JJ kicked to the Bont....it was the most exciting thing I've ever experienced in my life. When the siren blew - I never saw Dickson take the kick - was in a huge man hug with the boys, and even hugged Bont's mum and some other random spectators....told Dalrymple he was a "f'n genius" and proceeded into the night catching up with many long suffering bulldogs supporters and celebrating.

Absolutely pinching myself the next morning that it was true and we were into the Grand Final. But also had no doubt in my mind that we were to be premiers, because if we could get through that game against the giants, then nothing was stopping us.
    I had this the following week at the GF. I just had this feeling that we would win. It felt strange.

btw what was Bonts mum like throughout and after the game? Was she as fanatic as us dogs fans?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Every. Single. Time...I still cry.

The things that could have gone wrong!! The tiny decisions, deflections, half touches that all mattered, and for once all went our way. And the sound of that roar as that little chain of possessions that ends with Dickson...oh wow.
    Do we, as long suffering dogs fans, just have this inate ability to pick these things out? Every time I watch the replay I see things that could have gone wrong. Thank Bont they went our way.

Post Thanks / Like

Ps. It is still so jarring to hear Brian Taylor saying after Dickson marks it: “ A point will secure them a draw.” How could he have lost the thread of the match so much that he didn’t understand the significance of where the game was at#youhadonejob
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Do we, as long suffering dogs fans, just have this inate ability to pick these things out? Every time I watch the replay I see things that could have gone wrong. Thank Bont they went our way.
    I always somehow feel the fanatical belief of that group would have survived those usual random quirks o balls bouncing oddly or other things...after all the JJ non-goal decision could have made us hang our heads, to this amazing bunch it was just another hiccup.

There are two moments in the footage above that still make my heart race. When Scully gets it in the middle of the ground and pounds it forward...even though Wood brought it to the deck, there were 50/50 contests that we could have lost. And in the last ball up on the wing, the ball sort of ricochets past both Griff8n and Kelly and comes to us (the ultimate “hot” footy). And yeah, that kick backwards, not to mention the pickup and kick from Fletcher ROberts...well, actually there were millions of heart stopping moments and I’m so glad I was there.
    Twitter @bulldogstragic