• VFL quality

0 0%
  • Delist

0 0%
  • Needs more time

5 38.46%
    Post Thanks / Like

Rating our list 2020 Ed Richards 20

Well we are just over half way with the polling. As we continue to evaluate each player on our list starting with the highest number Lin Jong down to Matthew Suckling.
    The poll will run for a week and when your post in the poll if you can give a reason on your thoughts so we can share your insights.
    At the end we'll see how our list looks in the eyes of WOOF members.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating our list 2020 Ed Richards 20

A few stats:
    Height: 185cm
    Weight: 79Kg
    Games: 57

A speedy half-back from the Oakleigh Chargers, Ed Richards was drafted by the Western Bulldogs with the 16th pick in the 2017 NAB AFL Draft. With Collingwood greats Ron and Lou Richards in his family tree, Richards' footy pedigree is hard to ignore, but his use of the football and his ability to break lines will see him make a name for himself in the not too distant future. After making a Round 2, 2018 debut against West Coast, Richards went on to play every subsequent game in his first senior season and earn a NAB AFL Rising Star nomination in Round 10. Richards played 20 games in 2019, including the Elimination Final against GWS Giants, in a variety of roles across half-back, on the wing and up forward.

LINK

3. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still a huge fan of what Richards can bring us however, his best football seems to be when played as a defender and we appear determined to use him as a forward/midfielder

His pace and kicking skills should be his major traits although his kicking skills have gone backwards but I think he will sort that out

Perhaps playing him in the wing opposite Hunter might be what he should be aiming for

Could he transition in a more tagging role with us?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Could he become a replacement for Taylor Duryea for when he retires in a few years time and Ed should be at his peak. If this is going to happen you would think Taylor needs to have him under his wing.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Ed when he is on but he needs to be more consistent and get more of the ball. He has a nice left foot but sometimes his kicking lets him down. I would like to see him on a wing, as GVGjr says, opposite Hunter and making use of his pace. He does go missing for periods in a game, but I have noticed this year he does alot of the little things, like taps, handballs to players in a better position.

The MC has backed him in, so lets see how he goes over the next year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Richards has been quietly very impressive this year - he consistently runs very hard both ways, with under-rated endurance, and has been a key figure in increasing our ability to put pressure on opponents.

So while he hasn't always made an impact with ball in hand, I think he's more than made up for that with his gut-running and intensity around the ball. One of the main things that has impressed me, is his commitment to contests, where he's often got a hand in to help the ball our way.

Of course, some of his decision-making with ball in hand (especially kicking it into the forward 50), can still improve, though I think that's got a bit better as the season has progressed. For a team that initially looked way too slow, Richards has added much needed speed, bite, and defensive running that limits opponents play (while too often being over-shadowed because it occurs off the ball).

Basically, I think he's done well with one of the toughest roles in the side, and I'm excited for what he can add to that in the future.
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

8. Likes GVGjr, dog town liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I want Richards to be good so badly, and he's working hard to improve without the ball, but he just doesn't get to dangerous enough positions to be able to take advantage of his talents. He needs to watch a ton of tape and spend some time with Suckling and Hunter to try and develop his spatial awareness, but it's a trait that you pretty much have or don't.

I've like his work as a defensive forward the last few weeks, but feel he could be so much more.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve said AFL quality, but that said I’m still not sure what his best position is.

Post Thanks / Like

I said needs more time because he's just not a best 22 lock for mine. He can play AFL footy no doubt but his kicking really is sub-standard and he's not getting the ball enough. Sure he works hard but is he doing enough to keep himself in the team? It's borderline for me.

We have so much young talent in the team that it is now commonplace to expect high such high standards of our young players, some do take a season or two longer. He's got the attributes and I'm hopeful with another preseason under his belt he should be looking to improve even more next season.

We've definitely seen some good signs with regards to his attack on the ball over the last month.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

12. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ed and Laith rotating on their wing/half forward means we have constant pace for our high backs to look for to break the lines.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Ed will be a champ, he was better as a 1/2 back runner and slowly working into the Mid, two more seasons and some Bulk and experience he will be a weapon.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

15. Likes SquirrelGrip, bornadog liked this post