Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  63
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Premiership hero Dickson calls time

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...Dvb7ue48TgkZvk

Premiership forward Tory Dickson has announced his retirement from AFL football.

The 33-year-old informed teammates of his decision on Saturday, calling time on an impressive career at the highest level, which has spanned 114 games across nine seasons for the Western Bulldogs.

Dickson was a crucial member of the Bulldogs’ famous 2016 premiership victory.

He kicked 40 goals for the season – including 10 across the finals series, with hauls of four in the preliminary final against the GWS Giants and three in the grand final triumph against the Sydney Swans.

Dickson built a reputation as one of the competition’s best set shot goal-kickers and ends his career with the enviable goal-kicking record of 181.61, which includes a career-best year of 50.12 in 2015.

He said the time was right to hang up the boots.

“I’m incredibly proud of everything I have achieved as a Western Bulldogs player,” Dickson said.

“For a long time, I didn’t think I would get to play one AFL game and to have played more than 100 games for this club and contribute to our 2016 premiership success was incredible. The opportunity the Western Bulldogs have given me is something I will always be grateful for.

“Making the decision to retire has been incredibly difficult, but I believe it is the right one.

“There have been many people who have helped me along way who I am thankful for. My family have been an incredible support, and this year has been challenging on many fronts, including my son Riley being back in Melbourne.

“To all the coaches, support staff and Bulldogs fans who have been part of my journey, thank you. It has been a great ride.”

A mature-aged draftee at the age of 24, Dickson joined the Bulldogs with pick 57 in the 2011 NAB AFL Draft following stints with Frankston and Bendigo in the VFL.

He won the Chris Grant Best First Year Player Award in 2012, Brad Johnson Best Team Player Award in 2015 and featured in Footscray’s 2014 VFL premiership.

Director of Football, Chris Grant, said Dickson had made an invaluable contribution in red, white and blue.

“Tory has made a significant impact at our club over the past decade,” Grant said.

“His story is one of real perseverance. Having been overlooked in multiple drafts, Tory continued to work hard and finally earned his opportunity on an AFL list.

“On the field, his skills as a goal-kicking forward have been clear for all to see, and his impact across our 2016 premiership year and successful finals campaign was profound. Equally important has been his off-field contribution, as a player his teammates love to play alongside, and in particular, as a great club person.

“Tory will forever be a Bulldog and we thank him for everything he has done for our club.”

2. Thanks bornadog, anfo27 thanked for this post
    Likes Eastdog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Premiership hero Dickson calls time

Forever will be remembered. Fantastic forward who was thankfully an excellent shot for goal. Had tremendous years in 2015 and 16 and of course was a huge part of our premiership success. Thanks Dicko.

4. Likes Eastdog, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Over 100 games just .. hopefully see his son shortly, if his dad is anything to go by.
    Thanks for the flag and he always looked classy in front of goal.
    Good honest hard working player who got the best out of himself.
    Bring back the biff

6. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Tory. A great set shot goal kicker. Forever a Bulldog premiership player. Good luck for whatever you do next.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Out and out gun. Such a key ingredient in 2015 and 2016.

We’ve missed his forward IQ and craft.

ledge I think you’ve sold him a tad short.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

9. Likes anfo27, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the memories Dicko!

Good luck for the future. On that I have a job you can do. Teach our boys how to kick set shots��
    Last edited by ratsmac; 27-09-2020 at 07:47 PM. Reason: spelling
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

11. Likes Eastdog, anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Over 100 games just .. hopefully see his son shortly, if his dad is anything to go by.
    Thanks for the flag and he always looked classy in front of goal.
    Good honest hard working player who got the best out of himself.
    Theres not a better kick for goal in the history of the game.
    The curse is dead.

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Thanks for the memories Dicko!

Good luck for the future. On that I have a job you can do. Theach our boys how to kick set shots��
    Let's appoint Tory Dickson in a role as a goal kicking coach.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

15. Likes bornadog, Dry Rot, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great goal kicker for us. You knew when he had the ball ready for a set shop it was going to go through (mostly)

His body didn't help him in the last few years, but he is a premiership heroe that will never be forgotten
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Likes Eastdog, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For a player that many were skeptical with our recruiting team for selecting he performed at a high level for a long time
    I can recall the day we drafted him picking him a couple of spots before the Essendon selection and it really threw out their order
    One of the best forwards that have played for us
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

19. Likes anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazing success story of persistence and professionalism. Vital cog in the 2016 machine. Tried his guts out every time he put on our colours.

Great career. Bulldogs hero forever.

Swampy has just tweeted for over 200 scores, Tory was the most accurate ever. Remarkable.
    "It's over. It's all over."

21. Likes westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

23. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Likes merantau, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What a record:

Swamp
    @sirswampthing

Tory Dickson retires
    Most accurate V/@AFL goal kickers (where records known, 200+ scores)

74.8% - TORY DICKSON (181.61)
    71.5% - Peter Jones
    69.7% - Tony Lockett
    69.5% - Bob Heard
    69.5% - Aaron Edwards
    68.8% - Peter Hudson
    68.6% - Matthew Lloyd

25. Thanks Eastdog, anfo27, merantau thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot, Max469, Mofra, westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Enjoyed Dicko's career a lot, didn't need many touches to put the opposition to the sword.

Will be forever immortalised as taking the match clinching mark in the 2016 prelim and had the composure to take all the time up on the clock (despite Matty Boyd screaming at him to kick it backwards ). He was huge in that game. His goals in the grand final were at crucial times.

Thanks for your service TD, best of luck on wherever life takes you.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Clever and crafty and nimble too, at least before injuries and Father Time starting catching up. Will always remember those amazing quick thinking manoeuvres to kick some sneaky goals - especially the ‘16 prelim. His goals in the prelim and that earlyish one in the GF were crucial in building confidence & hence critical to our wins and glorious ‘16. He played a great final series apart from the Hawks game and I truly do not think it was not so much nerves-just statistics. Thank goodness he had the fortitude to shake his the inaccuracy off for the following two!!

Love ya Dicko!!

Agree - it would be great if in some kind of capacity he can impart his goal kicking a skills to our other players.

Told this story before elsewhere I think.....was at a vfl match some years ago and bags were being checked by security. Must have been one of peak terrorist scare years. Struck up a brief chat with a quiet sweet looking young lad (then no more then 8 to 10 I’m guessing) in front of me. He was there with his (I guessed correctly) Grandpa and lad was decked out in dogs regalia incl small RWB flag and back pack. I asked him who his fave dogs player was and he said Tory Dickson. I agreed with him he is a beaut player and his Grandad said this is Tory’s son!! I am pretty sure Grandad told also me Tory was bringing up son solo. I think I made a comment that it looks like he is doing a jolly good job.