Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crows investigating after duo allegedly caught with illicit substance

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Does this really impact Adelaide if they aren't that interested in keeping him? Won't they receive roughly the same compensation for losing him as an RFA? Lets say he was after 800K per season for 4 years, at worst he will receive a 10% discount to that figure.
    I would think the discount would be more than that. Salary cap going down + player with 'baggage' and a poor reputation = incentive based contract with a low base = low compensation for the Crows...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes Dry Rot, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    What drugs were they caught with?

And did they throw away their phones?
    It has been reported that it was allegedly cocaine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    It has been reported that it was allegedly cocaine.
    Thanks.

I asked, because I wonder if they are then drug tested by the club?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

I asked, because I wonder if they are then drug tested by the club?
    The word is that they will likely end up with a strike. They do like to keep these things quiet though so I would assume we will never know for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

The word is that they will likely end up with a strike. They do like to keep these things quiet though so I would assume we will never know for sure.
    Thanks.

Hopefully that reduces Crouch's value and the Crows compo pick.

Have seen very little of the Crows - is Crouch any good?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

Hopefully that reduces Crouch's value and the Crows compo pick.

Have seen very little of the Crows - is Crouch any good?
    The biggest problem Adelaide had was that they had two Crouches in a vanilla midfield that was already slow. Brad is better than Matt, but they are both accumulators that lack pace and are not damaging enough for my liking.

Essentially, Brad is a poor man’s Jack MacRae. His strength is in contested ball and he would likely have similar numbers to Jack here, but he is a turnover merchant and/or likes to kick sideways a lot. I guess Geelong are looking at life after Selwood and if Brad was able to farm it out to the likes of Dangerfield (as opposed to another Crouch) he would suddenly look a lot better.

IMO he is not worth anywhere near the $750k they are reporting (or a first round compo pick for that matter).

8. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The biggest problem Adelaide had was that they had two Crouches in a vanilla midfield that was already slow. Brad is better than Matt, but they are both accumulators that lack pace and are not damaging enough for my liking.

Essentially, Brad is a poor man’s Jack MacRae. His strength is in contested ball and he would likely have similar numbers to Jack here, but he is a turnover merchant and/or likes to kick sideways a lot. I guess Geelong are looking at life after Selwood and if Brad was able to farm it out to the likes of Dangerfield (as opposed to another Crouch) he would suddenly look a lot better.

IMO he is not worth anywhere near the $750k they are reporting (or a first round compo pick for that matter).
    Thanks. Dunno why there would be great demand for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Which one did we originally try and get via the "mini draft"?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Dunno why there would be great demand for that.
    Coaches love players that can win their own ball. Being slowish and not a great kick could describe Dunkley or Josh Kennedy too.
    Essendon desperately need that type.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Which one did we originally try and get via the "mini draft"?
    Jack Martin
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I would think the discount would be more than that. Salary cap going down + player with 'baggage' and a poor reputation = incentive based contract with a low base = low compensation for the Crows...
    I'd be surprised if that was the case. He just needs two clubs to be interested and he will get close to what he was asking
    Failing that, Adelaide will get him to re-sign for a more reasonable offer
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Jack Martin
    I thought we were also keen on one of the Crouch boys.

It was Brad.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...012-1ll85.html
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I can't be the only one that thinks just because these young, highly paid men who need to keep their skinfolds down have been caught, doesn't mean they are the only ones in the league doing this.

Because that would be contrary to everything I've heard.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Brad Crouch puts free agency prospects in jeopardy with off-season indiscretion

Brad Crouch has put a free agency mega payday in jeopardy after being caught with an illicit substance with teammate Tyson Stengle. Jon Ralph analyses what it could mean for his hopes of finding a new club.

Brad Crouch might well have committed the AFL’s version of lighting a barrel of $100 notes on fire during his ill-fated night out with Tyson Stengle and alleged possession of cocaine.

In the grand scheme of AFL misadventures players behaving badly in the off-season, this alleged offence is normally the kind to draw weeks of controversy and a trail of AFL drug-testers for the 2021 season.

In 2015, Jake Carlisle accepted a drug strike for snorting white powder in the off-season, only days into his time at St Kilda.

Carlisle’s punishment was accepting that strike as well as education and target-testing for the seasons to come.

The Herald Sun understands under the current illicit drugs code Crouch appears certain to be handed a strike by the AFL given the code operates 12 months a year.

Off-season testing is only hair-testing used for research and target-testing of players, but if a player is caught with drugs or makes admissions about their use it is the AFL’s decision about whether to hand out a strike.

So Crouch is set to be handed a drug strike, enough normally to at the least tarnish a player’s reputation for years to come.

But Crouch isn’t just any old player, he is one that is trying to orchestrate a free agency contract that will see a suitor throw vast sums of money at him for up to the next five seasons.

AFL clubs will forgive all manner of sins from players if they believe they will win them a premiership.

Richmond even signed Ben Cousins after a meeting with Terry Wallace when the Tigers head coach suspected the Eagles star was using drugs in the meeting where he was supposed to be winning over his prospective club.

In Wallace’s case, he believed signing Cousins might help give him the AFL regime that would get him off drugs, even if only for the time he was at Punt Road.

But Crouch’s problem is the jury is still out on his footballing talents at a time when clubs such as Geelong and Port Adelaide will have to not only commit to him, but convince their supporters he is worth that cash too.

The football jungle drums are beating loud that Crouch is heading to Geelong, but they would need to offer as much as $700,000 a season for him to secure safe passage through free agency.

Any less and Adelaide will likely match that free agency offer given second-round compensation and then force a trade where they would start asking for Adelaide-based players like Brandan Parfitt in exchange.

But how can Geelong convince their fans that he is worth that cash when he didn’t finish top-10 in the club’s best and fairest and has just proven himself to be far from a clean-skin?

The culture Brian Cook has built at Geelong is a values-based one where the club attracts and develops great people.

Geelong was able to argue that securing Jack Steven despite the clear baggage he was carrying — over and above his mental health issues — was about bringing him closer to family on the surf coast.

Steven’s recruitment hasn’t worked out yet but they got him for very little – pick 58 – and he might still star in a final and justify their decision.

If Crouch was to find his way to Geelong, it would take a significant public mea culpa and presumably need the approval of club leaders such as Joel Selwood, Patrick Dangerfield and Tom Hawkins.

Dangerfield has been working hard to get Crouch to Geelong given his ties to his old club.

But while the AFLPA president knows Crouch isn’t the only player in football to allegedly take illicit drugs in the off-season, it still resembles a backhander from Crouch to a senior Cats player trying so hard to get him to his club of choice.

The start of free agency remains 32 days away, a month in which Crouch has much work to do to redeem his reputation and apologise for his sins.

A good start would be to bare his soul in a legitimate public apology – not the kind where he apologises if he might have offended anyone.

For prospective clubs until now his worst offence was that in a competition that puts a premium on precise skills he could spray it like few others of the very elite ball winners.

Now an off-season where he had hoped to set himself up for life financially if he could traverse the vagaries of the AFL’s free agency system couldn’t have got off to a worse possible start.

17. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you get a strike for an offseason illicit drug charge? I heard Gil this morning talking about it and the question to him was why don't you change the rules on off season drug charges ( in relation to a strike?)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.