Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The view of the bottom ten sides.

I have listened to podcasts/read articles over the past week and the general perception of the bottom sides seem to be something like this:

Melbourne - Unlucky, going to be ok if they fix their forward line.
    Giants - No good. Things are going to get worse.
    Carlton - Unlucky...add one more midfielder and lookout.
    Freo - Great season...finals next year.
    Essendon - Burn the joint down. Sack the coaches (all of them) and the players.
    Gold Coast - Probably would have been premiers if not for the MR injury.
    Hawks - Well, after you win all those flags eventually time will come a calling...
    Sydney - Great season...so much promise. On the up and up.
    North - Burn the joint down. But at least they ARE burning it down, so...well, it's going to be bad but at least they know.
    Adelaide - Great finish to the year, playing better, young talent everywhere.
    --------
    My question is this. How much of the commentary do you think is aligned to what 'the people' want to hear? For example, Essendon supporters are losing their minds...the commentary plays to that. Carlton supporters are thinking they are up and about...the commentary plays to that. Is there actually any difference between the two sides?

I continue to be baffled by all the positive press about Gold Coast who basically did the same thing they did 12-months ago - competitive and successful early in the year, terrible late in the year...only this time they did it WITH the help of the senior recruits (Ellis, Greenwood et al) they supposedly needed.

I don't know. I look at all of the commentary and just wonder why everyone seems to have the same opinion about EVERYTHING. Why can't someone look at things in a different way...I mean, Freo supposedly will be better when all their key defenders return...but they were 6th for defense anyway so maybe the formula that was forced upon them is one they should go with - trade Pearce, Hamling, Logue and see what they can do with Hogan? I mean, would being 5th for points against actually have improved their spot on the ladder?

Anyway, I could write forever on this but am fascinated if everyone else is getting the same 'everything is the same' vibe from the media...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The view of the bottom ten sides.

The media in general support a common theme in just about everything, not just sport.

On some things there are clearly to defined opposing views such as Murdoch press v the rest, but even there they atre playing to their audience and giving them what they want.

There is just never insightful critical assessment in main stream media.

On the footy front this gives us the freedom to our own opinion because we certainly can't trust what is served up to us.

Of course that then allows inherent bias into our opinion.

So Hawthorn supporters can see 2020 as an aberration and Carlton supporters can believe they have a chance to win the 2021 flag.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

3. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    The media in general support a common theme in just about everything, not just sport.

On some things there are clearly to defined opposing views such as Murdoch press v the rest, but even there they atre playing to their audience and giving them what they want.

There is just never insightful critical assessment in main stream media.

On the footy front this gives us the freedom to our own opinion because we certainly can't trust what is served up to us.

Of course that then allows inherent bias into our opinion.

So Hawthorn supporters can see 2020 as an aberration and Carlton supporters can believe they have a chance to win the 2021 flag.
    Sure, after years of conditioning. Kind of like the conditioning football fans have been fed about blockbusters where all of the big teams get the highest exposure and profit being great for the game. Say the same thing often enough to enough people and voila!

It's a really good insight MJP. I also wonder how much clubs individual messaging to media in return for access comes into the narrative that eventually gets presented. Do clubs that play nicely get viewed more favourably in some media circles?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

GWS are a mile better than those other sides. Only other team really on the rise are Gold Coast but they always seem to lose their best players to other teams
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    GWS are a mile better than those other sides. Only other team really on the rise are Gold Coast but they always seem to lose their best players to other teams
    GWS do not have the fan base to get the positive coverage. The fans at every other club wants them to drop away, so the narrative is inclined that way.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Gold Coast positivity - yes they did the same thing as last year... but this time, some of the questions re: player retention have been answered. Rowell, Anderson + Ben King + Lukosious + Rankine finally got on the park.

From the outside looking in, Freo outperformed so are looked upon favourably. Fyfe spending less TOG inthe centre means there is some sort of succession plan to their starting midfield, although Mundy still provides a lot of grunt.

Melbourne to did better but their forward mix is young. It seems like everything rests on Weideman with Jackson to develop as a forward/ruck to support Gawn. With Tom McDonald a shadow of his former self (and halfway out the door) they have zero redundancy in case of injury.

Forget painting North as a positive - it's a debacle. Scott was shunted out based on telling the board they are in rebuild territory, and Shaw takes over and changes tack mid-stream. North then decides to go for the most savage list cuts in recent memory (likely to be 14+ players, 11 delisted and at least 3 trades). They lose the cornerstone of their forwardline and their second best mid of the past few seasons (Brown and Higgins). Their big acquisition (Polec) has been a monumental flop, playing exactly the way he'd been playing at two previous clubs so there shouldn't be any surprise. Their 'great hope' second tall forward has been delisted (Wood). They are in for a world of hurt, especially if Cunnington can;t get back to his best next year.

Essendon will go for shortcuts again and in February 2021 will celebrate 6000 days without winning a final (4 September 2004, I have this date memorised. It brings me joy). Rutton might be the only first-season coach in living memory to walk into the job under pressure given the 'changeover' mess.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

8. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    I'd be willing to bet GWS lose more 'good' players than Gold Coast do in the next few seasons.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I gave up on listening to the media years ago. They are so boring, as Bulldog Joe said they get one opinion and everyone just copies it.

Melbourne have now missed finals 2 years in a row and its not just a fwd line problem. They have major mentality problems.

GWS made the GF last year and whilst they have salary cap issues they aren't a mile off. I do think their biggest issue is Cameron.

11. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Couldn’t agree more on GC. Their finish to this season all things considered (the considerable import of mature talent and extra year of development on their young guys) was worse than their finish to last season. Their effort in the last round against Hawthorn was as if they were the ones who wanted to give Stratton and Puopolo the send off.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately with almost all media these days, there is no investigation done into a story and lots of things are copied from one to another. It seems the only investigation done is through social media, forums etc. A good example was when MacAvenay said we still had Jong to come back in and he was actually on a plane to Melbourne to have an operation.
    Last edited by bornadog; 29-09-2020 at 10:48 AM. Reason: typo
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The big clubs generally get the 'hope' angle applied (such as Carlton, Hawks etc) though it seems Essendon fans have put up with it for too long and are now more in tune with doom and gloom so the media is giving them what they want.

A cool idea for an article would be: "Why your club will suck in 2021" and it just tears down the lists 1 by 1.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Unfortunately with almost all media these days, there is no investigation done into a story and lots of things are copied from one to another. It seems the only investigation down is through social media, forums etc. A good example was when MacAvenay said we still had Jong to come back in and he was actually on a plane to Melbourne to have an operation.
    I think that was the same night when BT proclaimed we'd only had one debutant for the year!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

16. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately with almost all media these days, there is no investigation done into a story and lots of things are copied from one to another. It seems the only investigation down is through social media, forums etc. A good example was when MacAvenay said we still had Jong to come back in and he was actually on a plane to Melbourne to have an operation.
    And that was mentioned that same week MacAvenay made the comment! If you were in the industry you shouldn't have missed it.

18. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately with almost all media these days, there is no investigation done into a story and lots of things are copied from one to another. It seems the only investigation done is through social media, forums etc. A good example was when MacAvenay said we still had Jong to come back in and he was actually on a plane to Melbourne to have an operation.
    Also, a distinct lack of accountability.

If I was slightly more cynical/motivated/had more time I would start a twitter account that collated and then rated each journalists strike rate for the trade speculations they post over the course of the year. It would be damning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Gold Coast positivity - yes they did the same thing as last year... but this time, some of the questions re: player retention have been answered. Rowell, Anderson + Ben King + Lukosious + Rankine finally got on the park.

From the outside looking in, Freo outperformed so are looked upon favourably. Fyfe spending less TOG inthe centre means there is some sort of succession plan to their starting midfield, although Mundy still provides a lot of grunt.

Melbourne to did better but their forward mix is young. It seems like everything rests on Weideman with Jackson to develop as a forward/ruck to support Gawn. With Tom McDonald a shadow of his former self (and halfway out the door) they have zero redundancy in case of injury.

Forget painting North as a positive - it's a debacle. Scott was shunted out based on telling the board they are in rebuild territory, and Shaw takes over and changes tack mid-stream. North then decides to go for the most savage list cuts in recent memory (likely to be 14+ players, 11 delisted and at least 3 trades). They lose the cornerstone of their forwardline and their second best mid of the past few seasons (Brown and Higgins). Their big acquisition (Polec) has been a monumental flop, playing exactly the way he'd been playing at two previous clubs so there shouldn't be any surprise. Their 'great hope' second tall forward has been delisted (Wood). They are in for a world of hurt, especially if Cunnington can;t get back to his best next year.

Essendon will go for shortcuts again and in February 2021 will celebrate 6000 days without winning a final (4 September 2004, I have this date memorised. It brings me joy). Rutton might be the only first-season coach in living memory to walk into the job under pressure given the 'changeover' mess.
    Great post Mof. Especially about Melbourne. Year after year the media line up to proclaim them the next big thing and every year they get shown up (media and MFC) The AFL wasted their time recruiting them a coach, CEO and making it easy for them to recruit players with access to the mini draft. Why didn't they just let nature take its course? They couldn't be any worse off and the competition wasted all those resources that should have been shared by all clubs.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

21. Likes Mofra liked this post