Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bruce’s big week: Hub bub and first final

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I'm not huge on Roman history (Dark Age/Anglo Saxon and the Plantagenet Kings-and Queens-for me) but Augustus was Julius Ceasar's step son or something wasn't he? Took down Cleopatra and Mac Anthony.
    Close, Caesar adopted him which meant that Octavian (Augustus) became the heir apparent.

Augustus went on to defeat Antony (and by default Cleopatra) in the most famous naval battle of the ancient world at Actium.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

2. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bruce has had a very bad not good year (even in this recent period where he's "turned it around" he has two goals since round 10) but he seems like a really great dude. Hope he crushes it for the next four weeks.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

4. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Close, Caesar adopted him which meant that Octavian (Augustus) became the heir apparent.

Augustus went on to defeat Antony (and by default Cleopatra) in the most famous naval battle of the ancient world at Actium.
    Cheers. Don't know a lot about ancient naval battles but I know Sluys and Winchelsea under the black prince in the 14th century pretty well. They were brutal, hook the ships together and then hack one another to death types battles.

I remember reading about Greek fire being used at ancient naval battles. Was that used at Actium?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

6. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers. Don't know a lot about ancient naval battles but I know Sluys and Winchelsea under the black prince in the 14th century pretty well. They were brutal, hook the ships together and then hack one another to death types battles.

I remember reading about Greek fire being used at ancient naval battles. Was that used at Actium?
    Naptha? I'm not too sure without looking it up but probably.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Naptha? I'm not too sure without looking it up but probably.
    That's the stuff. Ironically called Greek fire because the bloke who discovered it offered it to the Greeks first who said "thanks but no thanks" so he offered it to the Greeks enemy instead. Then the Greeks had a helluva Kodak moment.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

9. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's the stuff. Ironically called Greek fire because the bloke who discovered it offered it to the Greeks first who said "thanks but no thanks" so he offered it to the Greeks enemy instead. Then the Greeks had a helluva Kodak moment.
    After 250 years of unfettered rape, murder and pillage (the so called Greek Golden Age of expansion), across Asia Minor and beyond I'd be inclined to allow the enemies of Greece and Sparta this one tool for retribution.

11. Likes Twodogs liked this post