Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bruce’s big week: Hub bub and first final

Bruce’s big week: Hub bub and first final

It has already been a huge week for Western Bulldogs key forward Josh Bruce.

And there’s plenty more excitement still to come.

The first-year Bulldog and his wife Pip have welcomed their second child into the world, a little brother for two-year-old daughter Poppy, as Bruce prepares for a maiden AFL finals appearance on Saturday afternoon – against his former side, St Kilda.

“It’s been a pretty good week,” Bruce told media on the Gold Coast today.

“We obviously welcomed our little son into the world, August William, so exciting times there and I’m still able to play my first final on Saturday so it’s going to be a good seven-day stretch.”

With the possibility of a Perth final and quarantine period, Bruce acknowledged things had worked out perfectly for him and his family.

“I had the conversation with my wife before we came up here that if it did come to finals footy or being there, I’d pick finals footy,” Bruce said with a laugh.

“Luckily it didn’t come to that and I was able to get the best of both worlds.

“(Pip and I) were cheering home Port Adelaide pretty hard last Monday, so once that got sorted out we knew we were playing the Saints (and staying in Queensland).

“So it was just the timing to get bubba out.”

Bruce has still been able to spend some time with his family, who have moved out of the hub in recent weeks.

He returned to training with his teammates today.

“They’ve settled into the Airbnb we’ve got really nicely, they’re going really well,” Bruce said.

“My mother-in-law Alex is up and she’s cooking up a storm and looking after us really well over there.

“I’m still spending most of my time here at the hub obviously, but I just get to visit them for a couple of hours every day.”

2. Thanks bornadog, josie, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bruce’s big week: Hub bub and first final

See you Saturday: Take two for Bruce

The stage couldn’t be better set for Josh Bruce who finally gets his first crack at an AFL final this week – against St Kilda.

A few messages have been exchanged between Josh Bruce and his former teammates this week.

The stage couldn’t be better set for the 28-year-old, who finally gets his first crack at an AFL final this week – against St Kilda.

Bruce spent six years as a Saint – following a couple with the GWS Giants – and after 129 games at the highest level is looking forward to being there at the business end.

“I’ve been in the game for nine seasons now, so I’m very excited to play my first final,” Bruce told media today.

“I’m normally on holidays at this time of year and watching very enviously of all the teams that are in. I’m really looking forward to testing my mettle in September – or October, as it is this year.

“A lot of the boys texted me around the birth, a few little ‘see you on Saturday’ messages and that sort of thing.

“We had the game earlier in the year, and that kind of got any of the nerves of anxiety away from playing them. Now I’m just really looking forward to – hopefully – beating them. It should be a good match, they’re obviously going really well and we’re in good form ourselves.”

The Saints well and truly had the Bulldogs’ measure earlier this season, running away with a 39-point win in round two.

However, the Bulldogs have come a long way since their 0-2 start and Bruce will have his eyes set on settling the score now against his old mob, when it matters most.

The development of the forward line, around Bruce, Aaron Naughton and Mitch Wallis, has been a big part of that on-field progression.

“I think as an entire offence we’re actually playing some pretty nice footy. We’re quite a high-scoring team, especially the last couple of months or so,” Bruce said.

“While some might not be individually getting the plaudits and kicking the bags of goals, I’m part of a forward line that’s working pretty well, we think.

“It’s important to be versatile and have a lot of guys scoring in a team if you want to go far into finals, so hopefully we’re part of a team that’s going to do that.”

Bruce acknowledged there had been a challenge or two adapting to a new team and system.

But he has been a constant in a forward mix that has seen plenty of change and is now starting to taste success.

“Part of my role in the team is to provide a big contest and bring other people into the game,” Bruce said.

“Whether I’m marking it and kicking goals or not, just bringing it to ground level and stopping them from marking it is equally important and holds weight in Bevo’s mind.

“I’m sure it’ll turn for me the goals and stuff like that, but it’s not really a concern. We’re in a successful side at the moment and looking to go as far as we can.”

4. Thanks bornadog, josie, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel this warrants two threads.....

Just kidding. Thanks Axe

6. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been pretty critical of JB this season, but he's grown on me over the past month.

Combo of improved form and condition (funny that) and his infectious enthusiasm on field (seriously, the bloke is always the first to get around a teammate after a mark or goal).

Fingers and toes are crossed that he has a huge game, slams home a few goals and helps us knock out his old side.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

8. Likes WBFC4FFC, Twodogs, Eastdog, Max469, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Look I am one of those that think he has been woeful for most of the season, but he finally seems to be showing good signs. I think he is a big chance to do a Tom Boyd and basically after being pretty underwhelming in his career with us to date have a pretty big impact in finals, hopefully he kicks on from there if it does happen though.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

10. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the best news is that bub did the right thing and arrived well before the game allowing Josh to concentrate on the task at hand.

He's also very fortunate to be in the hub and not being woken by a newborn throughout the night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Look I am one of those that think he has been woeful for most of the season, but he finally seems to be showing good signs. I think he is a big chance to do a Tom Boyd and basically after being pretty underwhelming in his career with us to date have a pretty big impact in finals, hopefully he kicks on from there if it does happen though.
    Is he actually showing good signs or is it through the repetition of seeing a number of bad games week after week we now see any improvement as a positive step?
    He's improved a bit but he's still nowhere near what I expected

Having said that, I'd be delighted if he rips the Saints apart with a 4 or 5 goal performance
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

There's only one way to celebrate a new arrival and making your finals debut and that's surely by kicking a bag.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

14. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Is he actually showing good signs or is it through the repetition of seeing a number of bad games week after week we now see any improvement as a positive step?
    He's improved a bit but he's still nowhere near what I expected

Having said that, I'd be delighted if he rips the Saints apart with a 4 or 5 goal performance
    I think he has started to take those contested marks and use his strength a bit than to just bring the ball to ground. He hasn't really looked like taking a mark all year until the last few weeks, so this is a notable improvement.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

16. Likes GVGjr, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A girl and now a boy. Pigeon pair, nice.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome August, born in September.

August is both a given name and surname developed from the Latin, Augustus. Derived from the Latin word augere, meaning "to increase"

Hopefully this signifies an increase in marks and goals for Josh and not to his weight.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Josh and Pip! Hoping now for a huge game on Saturday.

Go Dogs!
    Last edited by Eastdog; 30-09-2020 at 10:30 PM.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Welcome August, born in September.

August is both a given name and surname developed from the Latin, Augustus. Derived from the Latin word augere, meaning "to increase"

Hopefully this signifies an increase in marks and goals for Josh and not to his weight.
    I'm not huge on Roman history (Dark Age/Anglo Saxon and the Plantagenet Kings-and Queens-for me) but Augustus was Julius Ceasar's step son or something wasn't he? Took down Cleopatra and Mac Anthony.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

21. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations to the Bruce's.

Josh is such a likeable guy and certainly looks like he gives his all every game he plays so you can see why Beveridge has been patient with him. He has certainly looked better in the last month without looking great. Birth of a child, not going to Perth, first final, all things are pointing to us winning and Josh kicking 8 goals
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

23. Likes Eastdog, The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind Bruce. Seems like a good fella.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.