Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  29
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The nostalgia series - the best premiership EVER, 4 years ago today

That opens the door to some huge meaning-of-life questions of the value of premierships over sustained excellence. Shane Biggs’ crazily fanatical moments in the GF made him a premiership player, is this better than the long illustrious careers of Grant, Johnson, West & co. I always used to say there were many other reasons to cherish a footy team including watching careers unfold, sharing the players’ journeys and the “just being there” element. The deeds of 2016 make me wonder about that.

And has any premiership team extracted so much from so many scrappers, rejects and rookies? It was the alchemy and self belief that set this group apart. How strange that we waited so long for messiahs and yet it was a bunch of so many unlikely heroes and far from blue chip talent finAlly delivering for us. How strange that two blokes overlooked in drafts, who didn’t debut until their 20s kicked three goals each in a grand final, and that the pivotal moment, that tackle on Franklin, was delivered by another guy who didn’t get a chance and was overlooked countless times.

I look at our current group and wonder sometimes which of them has...or will have...that fire to deliver when it Matters most, that even our greatest champs did not.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

2. Likes Twodogs, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That means you felt sorry for it Easty! I think you meant laminated.
    Yep my mistake laminated I meant
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

4. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Yep my mistake laminated I meant
    Nothing to lament about a Bulldogs premiership poster.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

6. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Nothing to lament about a Bulldogs premiership poster.
    No certainly not! Was a great feeling when I went to buy them after the GF.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    No certainly not! Was a great feeling when I went to buy them after the GF.
    When I arrived at my parents house that night my mum handed me a premiership cap with a little cup badge attached. I've still got no idea how or where she got it so quickly.

9. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    That opens the door to some huge meaning-of-life questions of the value of premierships over sustained excellence. Shane Biggs’ crazily fanatical moments in the GF made him a premiership player, is this better than the long illustrious careers of Grant, Johnson, West & co. I always used to say there were many other reasons to cherish a footy team including watching careers unfold, sharing the players’ journeys and the “just being there” element. The deeds of 2016 make me wonder about that.

And has any premiership team extracted so much from so many scrappers, rejects and rookies? It was the alchemy and self belief that set this group apart. How strange that we waited so long for messiahs and yet it was a bunch of so many unlikely heroes and far from blue chip talent finAlly delivering for us. How strange that two blokes overlooked in drafts, who didn’t debut until their 20s kicked three goals each in a grand final, and that the pivotal moment, that tackle on Franklin, was delivered by another guy who didn’t get a chance and was overlooked countless times.

I look at our current group and wonder sometimes which of them has...or will have...that fire to deliver when it Matters most, that even our greatest champs did not.
    I think almost all of the Bulldog legends would swap their careers for Boyd/Biggs/Clay, as would I. However I think it depends on the psyche of the player - I don't think that someone like Dangerfield would swap his career. As much as he would like a flag, I think he would be very pleased with his individual success.

Post Thanks / Like

Few dot point memories of the week and the day....

- Broke my finger that week, so went into the grand final injured!
    - Went to training on the Thursday, and caught up with a good mate who used to do some part time medical related work for the club....and he told me to keep the secret (which I did!) that Moz was going into the game with two small fractures in his back but "he'll be fine" and that it was Jackson Macrae who he'd gone in to see that day (Jacko had 33 possessions carrying a bit of a groin).
    - Was really excited to get the Footy record during the week. Had always got them as a kid - and us finally being on the front of one, was really big for me.
    - Spent the week with an unusual, unnerving, unbulldog like confidence. Told friends during the week that I wasn't being cocky, but that I legitimately couldn't picture us not winning. And was also saying that if we were in front or within a goal or two at half time, that we'd be winning.
    - Morning of the game, had a grand final brekkie function on. Then walked up the hill to the ground by myself and felt pretty emotional about it all. Got to the ground took my seat with my old man and another relative we've always gone to the footy with.
    - Half time was the only time I left my seat, and we were only 2 points down....so based on my theory of being within a goal or so at half time that we'd win - I couldn't help myself from smiling as I lined up for the bathroom.
    - Picken's goal (the Shane Biggs one) was the moment for me, that I thought we had it. Obviously had the JJ goal/non goal concern, and then the Tom Boyd goal - but the Picken goal where we 'out-willed' Sydney felt like the biggest moment.
    - After the game, we didn't know what to do with ourselves, where to go, what to do!
    - By the time I got home at 5am - I'd seen the game in full 3 more times at different people's house over many beers. Woke up on the couch fully clothed (including shoes) and could hear the players being introduced to the crowd at Whitten oval from where I lived at the time just over the other side of the tracks in Seddon.
    - B&F night on the Wednesday was a real highlight.

12. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    LOVE that photo.
    It is an iconic photo.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a great avatar now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Few dot point memories of the week and the day....

- Broke my finger that week, so went into the grand final injured!
    - Went to training on the Thursday, and caught up with a good mate who used to do some part time medical related work for the club....and he told me to keep the secret (which I did!) that Moz was going into the game with two small fractures in his back but "he'll be fine" and that it was Jackson Macrae who he'd gone in to see that day (Jacko had 33 possessions carrying a bit of a groin).
    - Was really excited to get the Footy record during the week. Had always got them as a kid - and us finally being on the front of one, was really big for me.
    - Spent the week with an unusual, unnerving, unbulldog like confidence. Told friends during the week that I wasn't being cocky, but that I legitimately couldn't picture us not winning. And was also saying that if we were in front or within a goal or two at half time, that we'd be winning.
    - Morning of the game, had a grand final brekkie function on. Then walked up the hill to the ground by myself and felt pretty emotional about it all. Got to the ground took my seat with my old man and another relative we've always gone to the footy with.
    - Half time was the only time I left my seat, and we were only 2 points down....so based on my theory of being within a goal or so at half time that we'd win - I couldn't help myself from smiling as I lined up for the bathroom.
    - Picken's goal (the Shane Biggs one) was the moment for me, that I thought we had it. Obviously had the JJ goal/non goal concern, and then the Tom Boyd goal - but the Picken goal where we 'out-willed' Sydney felt like the biggest moment.
    - After the game, we didn't know what to do with ourselves, where to go, what to do!
    - By the time I got home at 5am - I'd seen the game in full 3 more times at different people's house over many beers. Woke up on the couch fully clothed (including shoes) and could hear the players being introduced to the crowd at Whitten oval from where I lived at the time just over the other side of the tracks in Seddon.
    - B&F night on the Wednesday was a real highlight.
    I wasn't living far from the ground either. I'd walked home from Footscray station and found myself outside the ground in Barkly st (could you find yourself anywhere more iconic?) where a huge group of supporters had gathered and were holding up traffic. A police car drove up and I remember thinking "this is going to get interesting." So the rooflights started flashing and one of the coppers leant out the window and yelled "red, white and blue!" The crowd went off their heads.

16. Likes Eastdog, WBFC4FFC liked this post